Beware of NCL false advertising

badcruising

I have a proposal for Cruise Critic management. There should be certain key words or phrases, "bait and switch" being among the most prominent, that when typed as part of a post should immediately redirect the poster to a web page carrying a quiz asking for the definition of the word or phrase. If the poster can pass the quiz, the system allows him/her to use that word or phrase in their post. If the poster fails the quiz, then the system will not permit use of the word or phrase in the post.

This process is guaranteed to eliminate virtually every use of "bait and switch" in Cruise Critic posts.

Thank you. I humbly accept your applause and thanks. :D

I had a guy change his mind on cruising because there was no skeet shooting (like there was back in the day) To each his own. Some people have personality's that just cant hold still and to keep the partner happy, they are willing to cruise IF there is a certain thing to keep them busy and forget they are, in there mind, stuck on a ship. To each his own. Obviously the guy was disappointed. Love the way everyone jumps his shi* because of his concern. Not everyone is a lay around the ship and relax kinda person.. :rolleyes: Give the OP a break. He is most likely surfing the web for more false advertising and found CC and shot out a post..

So after you hit your 250 yard drive, where does it land? It would have to be a "bring your own balls" driving range!!

LOL.... Is anyone else picturing the Seinfeld episode where George is pretending to be a marine biologist? Yep, a hole in one!

So if this poster cruised to Bermuda and felt duped by NCL, why is this just being shared now in mid January? Wasn't the last Bermuda cruise some time in October?

Disclaimer: I am in no way in favor of getting anything back from NCL!!! But to answer your question - as a Travel Agent I get requests like this all the time. Today I had a couple looking to go to the Caribbean - the wife will be happy enjoying the beach etc - the husband MUST BE BLE TP FLY FISH... If not they will not book. So maybe the OP really wanted to hit golf balls while out to sea.

I suppose if you like hitting golf balls, at sea would be an awesome place to do so. He's entitled. As a travel agent I ask you this? Has NCL ever advertised that they have a driving range on any of their ships? I have never seen this but since you must see a lot more brochures, ads etc. you might know the answer.

LOL.... Is anyone else picturing the Seinfeld episode where George is pretending to be a marine biologist? Yep, a hole in one!

So if this poster cruised to Bermuda and felt duped by NCL, why is this just being shared now in mid January? Wasn't the last Bermuda cruise some time in October?

I think someone was guessing it was a Bermuda cruise since the original poster stated that there was only one port in 7 days.

Call me crazy, but if I'm on a boat for a week and the only thing I'm looking forward to is a driving range, I'm thinking perhaps a boat isn't exactly where I should be spending my vacation! LOL

Richard/Tralfie

As a travel agent I ask you this? Has NCL ever advertised that they have a driving range on any of their ships? I have never seen this but since you must see a lot more brochures, ads etc. you might know the answer.

NCL Jewel, deck 13 mid, port and starboard sides. They are clearly indicated on the deck plans at ncl.com.

So yeah, they have.

Was just thinking of the same episode - too funny:D

We recently went on a Norwegian Cruise and booked the particular cruise ship because Norwegian advertised that they had a golf driving range on board. We were on a 7 day cruise most of which was out at sea with only 1 port so what one could do on the boat was pretty important. The driving range was a key item for us choosing this cruise ship. There was no driving range on the ship at all. I tried to dispute the charges as I felt like I was subject to bait and switch and Norwegian's response stated clearly that they shall not be obligated to honor any booking resulting from misprints or errors of any kind, whether in brochures, advertisements on the Internet ... So beware of NCL because if they advertise certain activities on the ship you are not guaranteed that those activities are actually on that particular ship. It's like advertising a swimming pool but then there isn't one when you board the ship .. may upset a few people who enjoy lying by the pool or taking a swim.

If I can't get any justice from Norwegian then maybe the law will help out as bait and switch is illegal in many states. Wish me luck!

Badcrusing

Well, good luck. I believe that you are going to need a LOT of luck.

With anything.

If a driving range was that important to me, I think I would have tried to look at deck plans or find pictures to see exactly what was being offered. After all, there are many different ways to offer a "driving range".

And on a ship, you surely are not going to have something like at home. You know how they have the guy driving the tractor scooping up balls out there? I an just envision a crewmember on a jetski trying to scoop up balls before the fish get them.

Breakaway has a mini-golf range!

I can relate to OP. I wouldn't take a cruise with just my husband unless it had a fitness center that offered classes. Not that I spend my entire day and night there, but it is something I truly enjoy ... especially on a cruise where I eat like a hog! If a cruise line promised a fitness center and it didn't have one, I'd feel cheated, though I doubt I'd go as far as sue.

I agree that if golf is all OP wanted, a cruise might not be the greatest vacay to plan. Still, I can see how he/she felt duped.

NCL Jewel, deck 13 mid, port and starboard sides. They are clearly indicated on the deck plans at ncl.com.

So yeah, they have.

Well, technically all that is clearly indicated on the deck 13 plans on ncl.com are two little boxes labelled "GOLF".

"GOLF" is not by itself enough for me to firmly believe driving range, especially when the text decribing the public rooms does not mention anything about the golf boxes at all. I would think a driving range would warrent some sort of mention in the text.

I can understand (somewhat) being a one activity person, but personally, if I was a one activity person and all I had for confirmation was what is shown on the Deck 13 plans, I would think a call to my travel agent or to Norwegian Cruise Lines itself would be worth the time to put my mind at ease.

I suppose if you like hitting golf balls, at sea would be an awesome place to do so. He's entitled. As a travel agent I ask you this? Has NCL ever advertised that they have a driving range on any of their ships? I have never seen this but since you must see a lot more brochures, ads etc. you might know the answer.

They do have this marked, or at least they did. I know there was a net on the Star last year.

I was JUST gonna post that!

"The sea was angry that day, like an old man returning soup in a deli....."

It's not that complicated folks... its a box... with a net around it. You go inside the box -- the one with the net. You bring some golf balls and perhaps a golf club. You put the balls on the floor and swing the club at the balls.

JG1.jpg

I think a reasonable person would look at the deck plan, see a box labeled "GOLF" and conclude that its probably a driving "range" of some sort.

Edited by triptolemus

Breakaway has a mini-golf range!.

I was thinking that.

The image I have in my head is of someone carrying their golf bag up to the pool deck, wearing those half length trousers (what are they called?), all ready for a good mornings golf, and then slowly dropping the bag with their mouth ajar, as they see the mini golf course whilst someone zips over their head on the rope course zip wire. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So yeah, they have.

It says nothing about a driving range. It shows "golf" so that is the golf nets. Get real where would you find a driving range on a ship?