did anyone ever take ginger for sea sickness?

edna@optonline.net

Fortunately, I am not prone to seasickness(knock on wood that condition may continue). But, I was on a catamaran that sailed from Cairns, Australia to the Great Barrier Reef. It became very rough en route to the reef and the crew of the boat did offer ginger for those who were feeling ill. I have heard of others using it, so it must be helpful for some people.

Yes, crystalized ginger for seasickness and motion sickness (busses), which you can get at any health food store. Bonine, which is over the counter, works well also, but it does tend to cause drowsiness.

There are many different options.

When we sailed to Antarctica...ohmigawd those 60 foot waves!.....we ate crystalized ginger, which the staff passed out. Small former-Soviet icebreaker, only 300 feet and less than 100 passengers. They are the experts, crossing the Drake Passage twice every 10-12 days!

Go to health food store and they can talk to you more about ginger, giner bills, Bonine, etc., or talk to your doc about the patch.

Hi

I'm taking the cruise from Osaka to Beijing in October and sometimes get seasick. Did anyone ever take ginger for this problem? I was told about this yesterday but I never heard of it before.

Edna

Sea bands worn on wrists are also very helpful, you can buy them in most drugs stores now. Very inexpensive. People that I know who use them swear by them.

• 1 month later...

edna, you may also consider buying the anti-sea or car sick wrist band from the cruise ship - Princess. I bought mine in my Los Angeles to Australia cruise. It seemed to work very well during the rough sea. Ginger works too, but some people cannot stomach too much ginger.

Archived