Is it Final PAYMENT or Final payment DATE?

Nadersmom

Both of my previous cruises were booked Early Saver. This time we booked our Nov 2, 2014 cruise back in September of 2013 when they had a really good Past Guest Rate with upgrades and reduced deposit.

To date, the price has not gone below what we paid for a balcony room. It has only gone up, though only slightly. I think I saw that Early Saver was now on the table for this booking.

I haven't decided if I want to change over to Early Saver or not. I liked Early Saver, though not the penalties for any changes. (we had to change the date on our last cruise and had to pay the penalty fee :( )

I'm pretty confident our date won't change this time, but you never know I guess. But that whole price drop/OBC thing was awesome on our first two cruises and I'd love to get me some OBC this time as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the price we paid. Its the reason we booked so far ahead; it was a really good price. So I'm OK if that's what it stays at. Right now, the early saver price is still higher than what we paid for past guest.

We intended to pay off the balance for this cruise in April or so. I know you can get price drops before your final payment and that they just come off of your balance, rather than in the form of OBC. My question is, is that available up to your final payment? of your final payment DATE, which isn't until Sept of this year. Am I better to wait until closer to September to pay off the balance if I don't change to Early Saver?

If you pay off the cruise prior to the final payment due date you can still get price drops until the due date actually arrives.

There are differing reports whether the price drop will be given in the form of an OBC or a refund to your CC.

if you pay off the cruise prior to the final payment due date you can still get price drops until the due date actually arrives.

There are differing reports whether the price drop will be given in the form of an obc or a refund to your cc.

thanks okgirl!!

I would stick with the lower rate that you are booked with now, the rates might not drop again after you switch to early saver. You can still take advantage of price drops until final payment date, so I wouldn't want to chance it. Either way have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I would stick with the lower rate that you are booked with now, the rates might not drop again after you switch to early saver. You can still take advantage of price drops until final payment date, so I wouldn't want to chance it. Either way have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks so much! As long as I know that I can get the price drops until September, even if I pay the cruise off in April, I'm good keeping where I am. I think we got a really good price so as much as I would love to get some OBC during that last month before the cruise, I can be happy with the price I have now.

Not sure why you'd want Carnival to have your money earlier than necessary? What is the advantage to paying the cruise off early?? We would rather keep our money until we have to pay and then pay about a week before the due date. You may find price drops as time goes on and they need more people to book your cruise.

Not sure why you'd want Carnival to have your money earlier than necessary? What is the advantage to paying the cruise off early?? We would rather keep our money until we have to pay and then pay about a week before the due date. You may find price drops as time goes on and they need more people to book your cruise.

No reason for paying early really. Just that we would have the money at that time and it was specifically designated to the "cruise fund", so we planned to pay the cruise off. Though you have a point, why not get a little interest off it instead. Only advantage of paying if off early is a peace of mind for an OCD planner that fears she'll forget if it isn't done right away :rolleyes:

If you pay off the cruise prior to the final payment due date you can still get price drops until the due date actually arrives.

There are differing reports whether the price drop will be given in the form of an OBC or a refund to your CC.

We were able to get price adjustments until the Final Payment Date even though we had paid off the cruise ahead of time.

We had a total of 4 price drops, all given as OBC. The first one we were given it as OBC. The second time I had to ask for it, the third time I was it had to go back to the CC and 'as a favor' it was going as OBC. Was told this third time would be the last time. The fourth and final time had no problem getting it as OBC.

If we hadn't of had the first one as OBC I wouldn't have asked/insisted that the others were also OBC.

Like with everything at Carnival it seems who you talk to is how it will be handled.

We were able to get price adjustments until the Final Payment Date even though we had paid off the cruise ahead of time.

We had a total of 4 price drops, all given as OBC. The first one we were given it as OBC. The second time I had to ask for it, the third time I was it had to go back to the CC and 'as a favor' it was going as OBC. Was told this third time would be the last time. The fourth and final time had no problem getting it as OBC.

If we hadn't of had the first one as OBC I wouldn't have asked/insisted that the others were also OBC.

Like with everything at Carnival it seems who you talk to is how it will be handled.

Thanks so very much. So, because it isn't early saver, do you fill out a different price drop form? or do you just have to call them?

You booked a fare type that will let you back out of the cruise up until final payment date ( in your case September I guess). Early Saver doesn't allow that. IF you pay it off early because you had earmarked that money for the cruise you risk having something unforeseen happen that you need that money for. With your current situation, if you had to have that money for something else you could (granted its not the preferred option) cancel the cruise and get ALL of your money back if you did so before final payment. With ES you couldn't, you lose your deposits. So I will ask- why would you pay off the cruise early and let Carnival make interest on your money when you can be doing that? And if you need it, it is much easier to go to your bank and get it than go to Carnival, cancel your cruise and wait for them to credit the money back to you.

And like you said, the rate is not going down. Its not worth it. You can always catch a rate drop before final payment if it happens. After final payment, the odds of a drop are less.. so you are not risking much.

You booked a fare type that will let you back out of the cruise up until final payment date ( in your case September I guess). Early Saver doesn't allow that. IF you pay it off early because you had earmarked that money for the cruise you risk having something unforeseen happen that you need that money for. With your current situation, if you had to have that money for something else you could (granted its not the preferred option) cancel the cruise and get ALL of your money back if you did so before final payment. With ES you couldn't, you lose your deposits. So I will ask- why would you pay off the cruise early and let Carnival make interest on your money when you can be doing that? And if you need it, it is much easier to go to your bank and get it than go to Carnival, cancel your cruise and wait for them to credit the money back to you.

And like you said, the rate is not going down. Its not worth it. You can always catch a rate drop before final payment if it happens. After final payment, the odds of a drop are less.. so you are not risking much.

LOL! :D You all have convinced me! I'll wait to pay if off until close to the final payment date. And I will leave it as-is, no changing to Early Saver. You are so right! With my option to cancel if I absolutely HAD to, why would I put the money where it doesn't have to be just yet.

Thanks so much!

I'm just the opposite. If I pay it off earlier than final payment date I won't be tempted to use that money on dresses I see on sale that probably will sit in the back of my closet.

Thanks so very much. So, because it isn't early saver, do you fill out a different price drop form? or do you just have to call them?

Just called.

Of course if you booked through a travel agent they'd have to call for you.