how bad is it?

fireman92

when arriving in roatan and belize how bad really are the bug bites? what about when sitting in the sand at the beach? then second question when back on carnivals ship how long was it till you noticed the bites? we will be going the middle of march

I've been to both places several times and have never been bitten.

I did bring bug spray with deet when we went in the jungle in Belize.

I know people complain about the bugs, and they must be there. But nobody I travel with has had a problem.

Didn't get bitten in either place. We didn't go in the jungle in Belize (just took a Belize City tour) and stayed in Mahogany Beach in Roatan.

My family and I went 4 wheeling in the jungle and cave tubing while visiting Belize. We had 19 people in our group and no one ever complained of bugs. Now you must realize that we are from the bayou region of Louisiana...LOL Our bugs are big enough to carry us away :D Also, I never heard of anyone else complaining about bugs at that port. My advice is to be prepared and have a great time! We had so much fun in Belize.

Katrina

We cruise between September and December and have done both of those ports several times and never been bothered. I don't know if it's seasonal though. We carry the wipe on repellent and have used it occasionally as a precaution, not because of any activity that alarmed us.

We were expecting insects when we took the Altun Ha & River Wallace tour in Belize, especially boating down the river, but there didn't seem to be many insects at all and I'm pretty sure that the older woman who complained about one thing or another for the entire hour and a half would have said something if there had been. :D

In Belize, we took a tour to Altun Ha and the noseeums attacked us immediately, I'm so glad I packed some insect repellent wipes.

On another cruise to Belize, we booked a snorkel excursion to a small island and the bugs were so bad, we had to go to the infirmary on the ship when we returned to the ship.

We have been to Mahogany Bay in Roatan and did not have a problem with bugs...maybe the cruise line keeps the beach and surrounding area sprayed with some kind of insect repellent.

We also went to Tabyana Beach in Roatan where noseeums attacked us.

In Belize, we took a tour to Altun Ha and the noseeums attacked us immediately, I'm so glad I packed some insect repellent wipes.

On another cruise to Belize, we booked a snorkel excursion to a small island and the bugs were so bad, we had to go to the infirmary on the ship when we returned to the ship.

We have been to Mahogany Bay in Roatan and did not have a problem with bugs...maybe the cruise line keeps the beach and surrounding area sprayed with some kind of insect repellent.

We also went to Tabyana Beach in Roatan where noseeums attacked us.

We visited Roatan and Belize in December 2012, and we were not bothered by bugs. Perhaps the time of year/ weather is a factor.

We were bitten by noseeums at Sapphire Beach on our first cruise (November), but were not in March.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Forums mobile app

In Roatan never had a problem.

In Belize there were a lot of mosquitos. Used bug spray and had no problem. Another guy used it and was bitten all over. We were on the Land Rover/Cave expedition. As soon as we got into the Land Rovers the bugs were all over.

P.S> I like garlic and use garlic powder on a lot of foods. Never have bugs bother me. Never been told I smell of garlic either!

Edited by crusinpsychRN

Depends on your flavor.

My wife is evidently filet mignon to bugs. Gets eaten everywhere. I must be prune -- almost never bitten. :)

That's funny! I am filet, and yet was never bitten on our trip to Altun Ha from Belize City. As someone else mentioned, it must be the time of year.

Try spring in the woods of NH or ME at about dusk. I would say that rivals the swamps of Louisiana!

Kevin C

Mosquitoes have been known to attack the "filet" only if there's one nearby. So if you see someone who's getting bitten up, they will more likely ignore you. Unfortunately I'm the filet mignon. Hang out with me and you're golden.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most mozzies, no see ums, and other biting insects attack right before dusk, so the majority of cruisers will never be impacted. I've been cave tubing, to Xanantunich, Altun Ha, Maya Cay, Tabayana and other West End beaches and have never been bothered, nor have I seen or heard of any day cruisers getting bit.

However, I will be staying in Roatan for a week in Feb., and I'll have long pants and DEET bug spray with me for when I go out in the late afternoon/evening hours.

We were in Belize on New Year's Day and the bugs were horrible. Our bus broke down and when DS got off to have a smoke he was warned to not get off unless he had bug spray! He didn't listen and when he got back on the bus he was covered with bites. They were very itchy and red for two days. The rest of us used spray before we switched buses and were fine.

snow bunny

I got bit a couple of times in Belize while cave tubing and ziplining in november. Didn't get bit in Roatan. Didn't notice any bugs. However, it was pouring rain the whole time. If I had known there was a high malaria risk in Roatan, I would've uses bug spray anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app