OASIS January 2014:some thoughts in summary

We recently returned from a January 2014 cruise aboard the OASIS of the SEAS. It was our 10th on Royal Caribbean and our 14th overall. While preparing for this cruise, I was lucky enough to read many great CC reviews and pictorial summaries of the Oasis and her sister Allure so I won't take the time to repeat what many have so successfully reviewed. I thought I’d share just some observations and am happy to answer any questions as well.

SHOWS: It’s true that making reservations in advance is the way to go as it ensures you can see every show. I had to take an 11:59 Comedy show reservation as that was all that remained but I encourage anyone who may not have made reservation ahead or have been blocked out, to take advantage of the Wait Line…which starts forming up to 30 minutes prior to a show and at 10 minutes before show time, you are allowed in up to the venue capacity. We were able to get into two other comedy shows at more convenient times by doing this.

COMEDY SHOW: I booked this knowing my husband would balk but it ended up being one of his favorite activities. Simeon, the host of the comedy club is absolutely spectacular with a wide range of jokes and right mix of harmless disrespect and self deprecation. Although each show is the same 2 performers and Simeon, they are different in that they play off of the audience. Thoroughly enjoyable.

SHIP PARTIES: These were scheduled way too late for us. 11:30. We are early risers and though we did make a few activities after midnight, these don’t seem to get started until later “Miami” style. We attended the glow party held in Studio B and there was a short presentation before dancing. It was fun but it took a long time for people to get on the floor and dance. There was also an ABSOLUT sponsored party in the solarium at 1130 which also had very few people attending before midnight. I wish they started at 930-10 for those of us up early in the day but who would still like to dance after dinner.

PARK CAFÉ (and the famous Roast Beef Sandwich): This is a great spot for a quieter lunch with the option of making your own salad, the famous RB sandwich and several wrap and Panini options along with salads such as potato, waldorf and fruit. There is some seating inside but several spots in Central Park as well to dine outside. I’ve seen mixed reviews on the Roast beef and I agree its not always fabulous but it was very good to excellent the three times we tried it.

CABIN: We booked a D2 on the hump. It was our first balcony cabin on RCL. We had previously enjoyed the suite life. Some folks we met thought the rooms were cramped and storage less effective on Oasis , but we found it to be just fine and enjoyed the slightly larger balcony due to the hump. If you can book a D2 Hump!

SHOWER: I’m always amazed at the water pressure on a cruise ship!. One day at 4PM my DH had hardly a trickle for part of his shower but otherwise it was fabulous! Shower design is great.

MTD: I wasn’t sure how a request for a 2 table would work out in traditional dining and we’ve had great luck on other ships with MTD and Oasis also does a fine job of accommodating the large number of passengers who prefer to dine as a 2. I also think MTD moves along at a good pace, relaxed enough but not drawn out as sometimes the case with traditional. We never saw a head waiter and I considered asking that tip portion be moved to our table waiter but the line at guest services always seemed long. I didn’t care that we never saw them, just felt any tip was unnecessary. We had a great waiter, Romeo and assistant, Hilda and we sat at the same table at the rail every night but one when we ran a little late. I was a little taken aback when I asked the Maître d when we arrived for our 530 reservation, if there was anything for 2 by a window. When he replied yes but there is no view as all windows on the Deck 4 dining room are blocked by the Life Boats….I thought what a shame! I made reservations and would have preferred maybe 6-630 but only 530 was available or 830 and later. We did book only 2 months out so if you’d like something not as early, I’d suggest as soon as you can reserve a time for MTD, to do so.

MENUS: The menus have changed since our last RCL cruise though many favorite items remain. I enjoyed the prime rib, roasted duck, fisherman’s dinner (with Lobster Tail), Rack of lamb and the lamb shank which I ordered reluctantly but was stellar. Portions were ample. I loved the chilled soups which are still available but did not like the substitute “escargot”, salmon and crab, that was offered nightly. On the 2nd formal night, I finally asked our waiter if they ever offered escargot and he immediately replied I think tonight!! He brought me two which were delicious. I could see no one around us with them but did notice from our railing seat, that on the 3rd floor Opus many tables had escargot. I’m glad I asked! I loved the Savory bites and a new selection the pumpkin roll. I really didn’t need that much bread at dinner time but they were excellent. Dessert was just okay with the exception of the strawberry pavlova and grand marnier soufflé….both fabulous!

WINDJAMMER: I missed the station available on smaller ships where you can get cooked to order omelets or fried eggs. You could go to the Wipe Out café for this option which we did do one day but they opened at 8 or 830 and we tended to eat earlier. Otherwise, Windjammer seating was never an issue and the food selection was good. Dessert offerings at lunch are just ok.

POOL DECK/CHAIRS: We are not chair hogs but if I have had a chair for 2-3 hours enjoying the pool or outdoors and decide to grab lunch, I think the 30 minute rule is a bit short. It should be an hour and as many have stated, it should be enforced. I saw sporadic enforcement. The worst offenders were in the solarium. Some had the audacity to put a fork and knife on a lounger…LOL. Though my husband disagrees, if I watch a lounger that has no personal belongings sit empty for 1 hr, I’m going to go and move the wadded up towels that the user should have returned to the towel station and take that chair. He disagrees with me. Then again that shouldn’t be my job but should be that of the “deck patrol”.

ENTERTAINMENT: We went to Blaze night which was fun but imagine it amps up as the night gets later. We enjoyed the farewell show and 70s show in the Promenade. Men’s belly flop is always entertaining as is the Love and Marriage show. We skipped Quest and did the comedy show instead. I really enjoy the Karaoke competitions on cruises. There was some unbelievable talent on this cruise however the crew running it were terrible. It was never stated how someone moved to the next level and it seemed arbitrary at best. In the final competition, the three winners were probably 3 of the 5 best but there were several along the way who were ousted that easily could have competed in the finals. Nonetheless it was still entertaining and packed.

I’m really glad we tried the Oasis as it has received such great reviews on CC. It is definitely not for everyone but as many have stated, it NEVER felt crowded which I find amazing with 5900 aboard. The WOW factor is definitely present all over the ship!:D

We are on the april 26-may 3 2014 sailing and i really appreciate your observations, especially the section on the entertainment.

Did you see any of the shows? (hairspray?)

Hairspray was great when we were on Oasis. My 5 yr old boy still talks abut that show. It was his favorite part of the cruise !!! All the shows were good to me except the ABBA tribute band. overly corny but I am sure they are no on anymore ....

We recently returned from a January 2014 cruise aboard the OASIS of the SEAS. It was our 10th on Royal Caribbean and our 14th overall. While preparing for this cruise, I was lucky enough to read many great CC reviews and pictorial summaries of the Oasis and her sister Allure so I won't take the time to repeat what many have so successfully reviewed. I thought I’d share just some observations and am happy to answer any questions as well.

SHOWS: It’s true that making reservations in advance is the way to go as it ensures you can see every show. I had to take an 11:59 Comedy show reservation as that was all that remained but I encourage anyone who may not have made reservation ahead or have been blocked out, to take advantage of the Wait Line…which starts forming up to 30 minutes prior to a show and at 10 minutes before show time, you are allowed in up to the venue capacity. We were able to get into two other comedy shows at more convenient times by doing this.

COMEDY SHOW: I booked this knowing my husband would balk but it ended up being one of his favorite activities. Simeon, the host of the comedy club is absolutely spectacular with a wide range of jokes and right mix of harmless disrespect and self deprecation. Although each show is the same 2 performers and Simeon, they are different in that they play off of the audience. Thoroughly enjoyable.

SHIP PARTIES: These were scheduled way too late for us. 11:30. We are early risers and though we did make a few activities after midnight, these don’t seem to get started until later “Miami” style. We attended the glow party held in Studio B and there was a short presentation before dancing. It was fun but it took a long time for people to get on the floor and dance. There was also an ABSOLUT sponsored party in the solarium at 1130 which also had very few people attending before midnight. I wish they started at 930-10 for those of us up early in the day but who would still like to dance after dinner.

PARK CAFÉ (and the famous Roast Beef Sandwich): This is a great spot for a quieter lunch with the option of making your own salad, the famous RB sandwich and several wrap and Panini options along with salads such as potato, waldorf and fruit. There is some seating inside but several spots in Central Park as well to dine outside. I’ve seen mixed reviews on the Roast beef and I agree its not always fabulous but it was very good to excellent the three times we tried it.

CABIN: We booked a D2 on the hump. It was our first balcony cabin on RCL. We had previously enjoyed the suite life. Some folks we met thought the rooms were cramped and storage less effective on Oasis , but we found it to be just fine and enjoyed the slightly larger balcony due to the hump. If you can book a D2 Hump!

SHOWER: I’m always amazed at the water pressure on a cruise ship!. One day at 4PM my DH had hardly a trickle for part of his shower but otherwise it was fabulous! Shower design is great.

MTD: I wasn’t sure how a request for a 2 table would work out in traditional dining and we’ve had great luck on other ships with MTD and Oasis also does a fine job of accommodating the large number of passengers who prefer to dine as a 2. I also think MTD moves along at a good pace, relaxed enough but not drawn out as sometimes the case with traditional. We never saw a head waiter and I considered asking that tip portion be moved to our table waiter but the line at guest services always seemed long. I didn’t care that we never saw them, just felt any tip was unnecessary. We had a great waiter, Romeo and assistant, Hilda and we sat at the same table at the rail every night but one when we ran a little late. I was a little taken aback when I asked the Maître d when we arrived for our 530 reservation, if there was anything for 2 by a window. When he replied yes but there is no view as all windows on the Deck 4 dining room are blocked by the Life Boats….I thought what a shame! I made reservations and would have preferred maybe 6-630 but only 530 was available or 830 and later. We did book only 2 months out so if you’d like something not as early, I’d suggest as soon as you can reserve a time for MTD, to do so.

MENUS: The menus have changed since our last RCL cruise though many favorite items remain. I enjoyed the prime rib, roasted duck, fisherman’s dinner (with Lobster Tail), Rack of lamb and the lamb shank which I ordered reluctantly but was stellar. Portions were ample. I loved the chilled soups which are still available but did not like the substitute “escargot”, salmon and crab, that was offered nightly. On the 2nd formal night, I finally asked our waiter if they ever offered escargot and he immediately replied I think tonight!! He brought me two which were delicious. I could see no one around us with them but did notice from our railing seat, that on the 3rd floor Opus many tables had escargot. I’m glad I asked! I loved the Savory bites and a new selection the pumpkin roll. I really didn’t need that much bread at dinner time but they were excellent. Dessert was just okay with the exception of the strawberry pavlova and grand marnier soufflé….both fabulous!

WINDJAMMER: I missed the station available on smaller ships where you can get cooked to order omelets or fried eggs. You could go to the Wipe Out café for this option which we did do one day but they opened at 8 or 830 and we tended to eat earlier. Otherwise, Windjammer seating was never an issue and the food selection was good. Dessert offerings at lunch are just ok.

POOL DECK/CHAIRS: We are not chair hogs but if I have had a chair for 2-3 hours enjoying the pool or outdoors and decide to grab lunch, I think the 30 minute rule is a bit short. It should be an hour and as many have stated, it should be enforced. I saw sporadic enforcement. The worst offenders were in the solarium. Some had the audacity to put a fork and knife on a lounger…LOL. Though my husband disagrees, if I watch a lounger that has no personal belongings sit empty for 1 hr, I’m going to go and move the wadded up towels that the user should have returned to the towel station and take that chair. He disagrees with me. Then again that shouldn’t be my job but should be that of the “deck patrol”.

ENTERTAINMENT: We went to Blaze night which was fun but imagine it amps up as the night gets later. We enjoyed the farewell show and 70s show in the Promenade. Men’s belly flop is always entertaining as is the Love and Marriage show. We skipped Quest and did the comedy show instead. I really enjoy the Karaoke competitions on cruises. There was some unbelievable talent on this cruise however the crew running it were terrible. It was never stated how someone moved to the next level and it seemed arbitrary at best. In the final competition, the three winners were probably 3 of the 5 best but there were several along the way who were ousted that easily could have competed in the finals. Nonetheless it was still entertaining and packed.

I’m really glad we tried the Oasis as it has received such great reviews on CC. It is definitely not for everyone but as many have stated, it NEVER felt crowded which I find amazing with 5900 aboard. The WOW factor is definitely present all over the ship!:D

Thanks for the detailed review.

We are on the april 26-may 3 2014 sailing and i really appreciate your observations, especially the section on the entertainment.

Did you see any of the shows? (hairspray?)

We saw all the shows. Hairspray was done very well. It wasn't our personal

Cup of tea but the production itself is very good.

The Aqua Show was excellent as was Come Fly With Me!

Our headliner was a ventriloquist... He was entertaining.

Arrive early for best seating unless in the main theatre which had plenty of seats.

Hairspray was great when we were on Oasis. My 5 yr old boy still talks abut that show. It was his favorite part of the cruise !!! All the shows were good to me except the ABBA tribute band. overly corny but I am sure they are no on anymore ....

The ABBA tribute band was not on the 1/11/14 sailing

Thanks for the great review. We're still on the fence about trying out the Oasis class ships but are leaning towards doing it.

Maple

We felt the same. But we tried ncl EPIC which is not asarhe but is more like oasis

In terms of entertainment and really enjoyed it so decided to give oasis a whirl.

The ship itself is amazing! I think we prefer more traditional entertainment and shows without reservations on the smaller ships but I think its definately worth

trying. I read a review on allure on CC that was great with a lot of pics ... It's what sold me! I looked into allure first but the recent propulsion issues made me book Oasis instead.