My time dining reservations

How far in advance can you make reservations for mtd? Thanks

You don't need to make a reservation for MTD but you will need to select your dining time, early or late, depending on the ship.

You can choose MTD up to the first supper of the cruise. You will be charged a per person advance tip rate to your ship account at that time. If you reserve ahead of time, before your sail date, you are charged and it is part of your payment due before embarkation.

What is the difference between traditional dinning and MTD? also what are the advantages/disadvantages for both? Thanks in advance for your answers!!

Traditional dining has two fixed time seatings per evening. You are assigned to a specific table at one of the times, and that stays the same for the entire cruise. With MTD, you can change times and tables each evening.

You don't need to make a reservation for MTD but you will need to select your dining time, early or late, depending on the ship.

I have to question the above comment. We have done MTD on the Allure and the Oasis. We went to the dining room when we chose to. We never had to choose early or late. We had no reservations.Not sure about other ships. ;)

Edited by janetz

When we used MTD on the Explorer in October we would usually make a reservation for the following day as we were leaving the dinning room. A few times I called the day of and there was no problem. You don't have to make a reservation but if you want to stick with the same wait staff it is recommended.

How far in advance can you make reservations for mtd? Thanks

I believe it's about 3 months prior to embarkation that the website will open up your booking to MTD reservations. At least that's what I recall about our one experience with that.

We are sailing on the Quantum next February, and when it came to dining choices, we were told all that was available was MTD. They said both early and late dining was full, and that both wait lists were already full. This seemed odd to us since our sail date is thirteen months away. There has been some speculation there will only be MTD on the Quantum, but we'll have to wait and see.

This will be our first time with MTD, and from what I am reading on this thread, it appears we can actually reserve a specific time for each of our eleven nights at sea if we want to? And we might even be able to get the same wait staff? I hope this is the case. When you have the same wait staff they know what you like and don't like, and they treat you very well. You feel you get the special extras from them. With a different wait staff every night, and their tips have already been paid in advance, where is the incentive to give you the best of service? I would appreciate anybody who has experienced MTD to let me know how it was, and what your thoughts are on all of this. I'm hoping to hear it's no problem at all! Thanks!

We are sailing on the Quantum next February, and when it came to dining choices, we were told all that was available was MTD. They said both early and late dining was full, and that both wait lists were already full. This seemed odd to us since our sail date is thirteen months away. There has been some speculation there will only be MTD on the Quantum, but we'll have to wait and see.

This will be our first time with MTD, and from what I am reading on this thread, it appears we can actually reserve a specific time for each of our eleven nights at sea if we want to? And we might even be able to get the same wait staff? I hope this is the case. When you have the same wait staff they know what you like and don't like, and they treat you very well. You feel you get the special extras from them. With a different wait staff every night, and their tips have already been paid in advance, where is the incentive to give you the best of service? I would appreciate anybody who has experienced MTD to let me know how it was, and what your thoughts are on all of this. I'm hoping to hear it's no problem at all! Thanks!

Yes to both questions. In fact, that is exactly what we did on Independence - made MTD reservations every night prior to departure for the same time each night (although we could have varied our reservation times if we wanted). We found we really liked our wait staff that first night so we asked for them for the next couple of nights and after that, the folks at the podium automatically took us to our preferred table with our preferred waiters. :)

Edited by joepeka

Yes to both questions. In fact, that is exactly what we did on Independence - made MTD reservations every night prior to departure for the same time each night (although we could have varied our reservation times if we wanted). We found we really liked our wait staff that first night so we asked for them for the next couple of nights and after that, the folks at the podium automatically took us to our preferred table with our preferred waiters. :)

Thanks, joepeka, I appreciate your feedback. Your response was exactly what I was hoping to hear! :)

Jayne,

if you didn't have MTD, your seapass would be charged daily for tips so you could say that no employee has incentive to give good service as tips are already guaranteed. Of course, someone can tip over that so that might inspire good service. Regardless, I don't think it will be a problem and if you are not receiving good service, you can always tell someone.

I haven't done MTD yet, but think it will be good. I don't have any worries.

In my experience, the biggest incentive that most servers in MTD or traditional dining have to provide excellent service, is their sense of pride in doing their jobs extremely well. We have not noticed any diminution in the quality of service in the dining rooms or elsewhere on an RCI ship since the introduction of automatic tipping, which primarily guarantees that none of the staff will be stiffed by the people they serve.

Yes, it's unfortunate that RCI had to institute the automatic tipping, but I guess, like other places, travelers either did not tip or tipped very poorly and employees, rightfully, complained to RCI because they weren't making money. I'm sure they get paid a lower salary from RCI because tipping is to make it up.

I do agree that pride in their job will be there. I don't anticipate any problems.

When I served in restaurants, sometimes I would see a group and think, they won't tip much, but I still gave them good service and surprise, surprise, I got good tips.

If you chose traditional at the time of booking, are you able to switch to MTD once on board?

Yes, if there is space available in MTD. You will also have to pay all the gratuities at the time you change, and they will not be removeable.

Edited by clarea

It varies. I booked on FOS about 4 months out and all the good MTD times were already taken. I ended up pushing the cruise back a month...now it's just over 3 months until we sail but the reservations are not opened up yet???

You are right, moposh, I agree about the tipping. There are those who wouldn't give the recommended amount, and since RCCL probably doesn't pay them hardly anything, the staff wasn't making much money. They do work extremely hard for what little they do make, and they are always fearful of losing their jobs. Can't imagine the pressure they must work under! We always give extra tips to our staff because we really appreciate all they do for us. And, negc, pride to them is an important attribute to have. That's what will drive them, and you can easily tell those that have it.

I am no longer concerned about the service in MTD. Thanks everyone!