Men's Dress Code, Indep. of the Seas 1/26

wehomark

As soon as you mentioned cigars I thought "This is someone I want to party with!" What can be better than cigars and tuxes?

Elvis

How about cigars, tuxes and a fine single malt? :) If the chance ever arises, I'd love to join you gentlemen also! :cool:

JBond, I'll keep an eye out for your cruises. If we end up on the same one, for sure we'll do cigar night. It's nice to read on this post all the support for dressing up. Refreshing after so many "it's my vacation and I'll dress the way I want" posts. Like FolkSinger said, "It is amazing what a nice Tux can do to enhance the evening." I totally agree.

I look forward to our cigar (and maybe a few martinis before). :)

It IS my vacation, darn it, and I will dress the way I want. I just happen to want to wear my tux. My experience a few cruises ago cements that decision.

I (then 30 year old single guy) was waiting for the rest of my family for pre-dinner cocktails when a beautiful lady, dressed to the nines, walked past and looked me up one side and down the other. Her (in)significant other appeared in an untucked shirt and ratty jeans. The look of disappointment on her face at seeing him was priceless.

Thank you ZZ Top.

JBond, I'll keep an eye out for your cruises. If we end up on the same one, for sure we'll do cigar night. It's nice to read on this post all the support for dressing up. Refreshing after so many "it's my vacation and I'll dress the way I want" posts. Like FolkSinger said, "It is amazing what a nice Tux can do to enhance the evening." I totally agree.

I look forward to our cigar (and maybe a few martinis before). :)

It IS my vacation, darn it, and I will dress the way I want. I just happen to want to wear my tux. My experience a few cruises ago cements that decision.

I (then 30 year old single guy) was waiting for the rest of my family for pre-dinner cocktails when a beautiful lady, dressed to the nines, walked past and looked me up one side and down the other. Her (in)significant other appeared in an untucked shirt and ratty jeans. The look of disappointment on her face at seeing him was priceless.

Thank you ZZ Top.

Yes, its definitely nice to see the support for dressing up! I'll always have my tux for formal nights, I enjoy wearing it and my wife enjoys seeing me in it - since she's gone through the effort to get all dolled up and look lovely in her gown, heels and accessories, she deserves to be accompanied by a sharp-dressed guy! Even on "smart casual" nights on the cruise, I'll usually have a jacket on and she'll be in a nice cocktail dress. That's part of the fun of cruising for us.

senrab, that's a great story, love it! :cool:

Yes, its definitely nice to see the support for dressing up! I'll always have my tux for formal nights, I enjoy wearing it and my wife enjoys seeing me in it - since she's gone through the effort to get all dolled up and look lovely in her gown, heels and accessories, she deserves to be accompanied by a sharp-dressed guy! Even on "smart casual" nights on the cruise, I'll usually have a jacket on and she'll be in a nice cocktail dress. That's part of the fun of cruising for us.

senrab, that's a great story, love it! :cool:

And that's the beauty of free choice - there's room on board for all of us, no matter which side of the aisle we stand on. :D

And that's the beauty of free choice - there's room on board for all of us, no matter which side of the aisle we stand on. :D

Tobey, you're absolutely right. I don't have a problem with those who don't don tuxes for formal night. I confess I wish they would at least wear a sport coat with nice slacks, even if no tie.

But what I would be thrilled to see is those who show up for dinner on formal night in tee shirts, shorts and flip flops barred from the dining room. If you're not willing to at least go get cleaned up and put on slacks and a collared shirt, there are plenty of other dining options onboard.

Of course, that's just my opinion, and RCI hasn't so far chosen to consult with me... ;)

Tobey, you're absolutely right. I don't have a problem with those who don't don tuxes for formal night. I confess I wish they would at least wear a sport coat with nice slacks, even if no tie.

But what I would be thrilled to see is those who show up for dinner on formal night in tee shirts, shorts and flip flops barred from the dining room. If you're not willing to at least go get cleaned up and put on slacks and a collared shirt, there are plenty of other dining options onboard.

Of course, that's just my opinion, and RCI hasn't so far chosen to consult with me... ;)

Wet,

While I am completely against imposing a personal viewpoint on another passenger, I agree with your reasonable expectations. But as you mentioned, in the end, it is RCL who has the right (and responsibility) to set the standard.

For the record, I'm on the "Dockers, button-down shirt, and shoes" side of the aisle.

Have never sailed on RCI. Debating whether to take a tux for the formal night or just a suit/jacket and tie. Think there will be 2 formal nights. Anyone been on a RCI week cruise to the caribbean lately, will I be one of the few with a tux. Does not matter that much either way, but if only a small amount of men wear tuxes, won't even bother.

Thanks for any input

go for the suit

Wet,

While I am completely against imposing a personal viewpoint on another passenger, I agree with your reasonable expectations. But as you mentioned, in the end, it is RCL who has the right (and responsibility) to set the standard.

For the record, I'm on the "Dockers, button-down shirt, and shoes" side of the aisle.

Once again, I agree 100% Tobey.

Personally, I have yet to see all the t shirts, ball caps, flip flops and "ratty looking" jeans everyone else has.

Either Ive not been paying attention (most likely) or on the very few cruises Ive been on, it just hasnt happened.

Ill likely be in a tux or maybe not on formal night but either way, youd be welcome at my table in your dockers, button down shirt or even shorts if thats your thing.

I simply do NOT care what others wear to dinner. :)

Bring your tux only if you prefer it to a suit. Only a small percentage (20%-30%) of men will wear a tux on a Caribbean cruise.

Agree, do what you prefer but no where near 20-30% wear tuxes, more like 5-10%, and decreasing all the time

Bring your tux only if you prefer it to a suit. Only a small percentage (20%-30%) of men will wear a tux on a Caribbean cruise.

Agree, do what you prefer but no where near 20-30% wear tuxes, more like 5-10%, and decreasing all the time

I don't know how people estimate these percentages, considering that there are two levels of dining room, three on some ships, and two different dining times.

where do people come up with these stats? did you hire people to stand at every entrance on each level and count tux's?

Gotta agree with jbond and Sherlock - its humorous watching you guys argue over the percentages you claim when you're both pulling numbers out of thin air. :o

"98% of all statistics are made up. ~Author Unknown"

Absolutely disagree. We've cruised with RCI since 1980 and have not noticed any change in that time. How do you assess your percentages? On a ship with three levels of dining, do you have people stood at the entrance on each level for both seatings counting how many wear what?

My perception is based on just the area that we sit in for dinner and it hasn't changed over the years. Also observations in the Diamond and Concierge Lounges indicate the same.

I think the point is, as each year passes, tuxedos on mass market cruise lines are becoming a thing of the past.

ive only been cruising about 6 years now and Ive certainly noticed less and less tuxedos. I dont pay attention for the most part to what people wear on a cruise but when someone is dressed in a tux you DO notice. At least I do anyway.

The Jack and Rose days are fading, at least on the mass market lines anyway. Thats fact.

We've cruised with RCI since 1980 and have not noticed any change in that time. .

You seriously havent noticed a decline in tuxedos on mass market cruise ships in almost 40 years of cruising? You may be the only one to ever say that.

Edited by ryano

There are quite a few tuxes, though they are the minority. My husband always bring his. One of the few times he gets to wear it. Some of our group rented one also. He won't be out of place is he wears a suit or if he wears a tux.

Hopefully the picture attached with our formal night pic.

12.jpg.e037d4fc80550e78e3250a7c9a60e746.jpg

Have not noticed it at all. If anything, I've noticed an increase over the early '80s. Back then it was mainly suits and sports coats. Remember those polyester leisure suits.:eek:

One thing that I have noticed in the Caribbean is that cruises out off San Juan are more dressy than those out of Florida. Cruised out of Galveston last year and it was very dressy. The poorest (IMO) dressed cruise we have taken was probably a Baltic cruise. It's probably unfair to judge it as we only saw a small percentage of the passengers, but one large table next to us wore shorts every night, except formal nights, when they wore sweats. It looked as if they were making a statement. Nobody seemed to care and we had a great dining experience every night.

I guess everyone sees things differently, at my age, my rose colored glasses help a lot.:rolleyes:

Have not noticed it at all. If anything, I've noticed an increase over the early '80s. Back then it was mainly suits and sports coats. Remember those polyester leisure suits.:eek:

One thing that I have noticed in the Caribbean is that cruises out off San Juan are more dressy than those out of Florida. Cruised out of Galveston last year and it was very dressy. The poorest (IMO) dressed cruise we have taken was probably a Baltic cruise. It's probably unfair to judge it as we only saw a small percentage of the passengers, but one large table next to us wore shorts every night, except formal nights, when they wore sweats. It looked as if they were making a statement. Nobody seemed to care and we had a great dining experience every night.

I guess everyone sees things differently, at my age, my rose colored glasses help a lot.:rolleyes:

I noticed that on my Norway cruise too. Europeans tend not to get dressed up. I would have expected just the opposite! Who cares! It only made Priscilla (my wife) and me look that much better!

Elvis

P.S. After my next cruise I will be an Emerald member and would like to change the banner in my signature. I can't remember how I did it! Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Edited by Elvis1209

I just rented one- First time- Thought it would save hauling my suit. Anyone have any experience renting?

Our dear friend Bruce, that has done over 30 cruise's rents a tux every time. He does this before hand and it is delivered to his room. Two different jackets and shirts for the two formal nights. And shoes.

Well we're going on our first ever cruise in August, a 2 week one in the Mediterranean, and I'm planning to simply take my suit, as it can be worn with a slightly more casual shirt collar unbuttoned, or with a tie, or a bowtie, and still look great for each occasion, rather than a specific tux. I hope that'll do. What do you think? :)

k99zzp.jpg

Well we're going on our first ever cruise in August, a 2 week one in the Mediterranean, and I'm planning to simply take my suit, as it can be worn with a slightly more casual shirt collar unbuttoned, or with a tie, or a bowtie, and still look great for each occasion, rather than a specific tux. I hope that'll do. What do you think? :)

k99zzp.jpg

It will be fine, looks great.

Where in Manchester are you from? I lived in Blackley for over 30 years.