Live blog from the Fortuna

AmoMondo

Well actually not quite yet. Holiday starts though when you are in the airport lounge chilling out with a glass of the red stuff some nibbles and free wifi!

Will be boarding the Emirates flight rom Glasgow in around 40 minutes to DXB. Will land a little after 8am and will then make my wY to the port in the hope of dropping my big heavy case (you've got to love Emirates 30kg allowance in Economy, and even better at 40kg for business.) alas I'm paying for the flight this time and not my employer, so I shall be slumming it in economy. With it being an overnight flight, I'll be fine without the bubbly, but I am going to miss the fantastic 180 degree reclining seats!

So depending on Costa's wifi service, I'll be posting my thoughts and experiences throughout the cruise. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to get you answers in between making the most of the AI and enjoying some much needed sun!

Au revoir! Or rather ciao!

Hope you are enjoying and had a good flight .

What time did you board and have you used the metro in dubai.?

Is it accessible for the port?

Hope the sun is shining . Oi could do with some sun. any tips ,comments will be gladly welcomed. We went to dubai a few years ago and it was a building site. The hoho bus should have taken two hours and took 6 . Hopefully it is finished ,,, now.

Look forward to reading your blog. Ann x:)

Hope you are enjoying and had a good flight .

What time did you board and have you used the metro in dubai.?

Is it accessible for the port?

Hope the sun is shining . Oi could do with some sun. any tips ,comments will be gladly welcomed. We went to dubai a few years ago and it was a building site. The hoho bus should have taken two hours and took 6 . Hopefully it is finished ,,, now.

Look forward to reading your blog. Ann x:)

I got to the port at around 9am, flight was early which is typical when you have hours of time to kill! They took my case from me and said checkin would start at 3pm which it did. It was rather chaotic and took around an hour. No idea why they can't do it the way MSC do, you see one person and they checkin you in, take your photo, register your credit card issue your cruise card. Not Costa, 5 steps to do all of that with a wait for 4 of them. Cabins weren't supposed to be available until 8pm. I popped along to see exactly where mine was at around 6.30 and it was already ready. No idea if that was luck or whether they get the Black Pearl and Pearly Costa Club members cabins ready first. Anyway worth a try checking your early.

Sun is most definitely shining, it's in the mid twenties do really quite pleasant. Have never tried the Metro, don't think it goes to the port. Certainly didn't see a stop inside the port area. The terminal itself would be a long walk from the gates.

Dubai is still under construction - think it always will be:)

Yesterday I took the free shuttle at 11am to Dubai Outlet Mall for something to do. Shuttle brought us back at 2pm. There was also one to Bur Jurman Mall. I would have preferred to have gone to the Mercato at Jumeirah but first shuttle for there wasn't until after 1pm.

Wouldn't bother with the HOHO buses, taxis are do cheap. I only laid in the region of £11-12 for the trip from the airport to the terminal. Another time I was here, I had a driver take me go where I wanted to see and it only cost £40 for 2 hours.

I'll write up my first few days offline and post them later. Posting online long blogs is too expensive

Thanks for that. We are on a day flight on the Thursday and staying overnight at a hotel. Looking forward to your updates.

How is the ship? We went on the Serena in 2010 . In the past year we have been on two msc cruises ,to Brazil on the fantasia and armonia in September in the med. We preferred the food on the costa but it was a while ago. Anything is better than the food on p and o.

Any tips on destinations etc would be welcomed. Always had a drinks package but never one so cheap. Forty pounds a day on celebrity but still got our money's worth. Enjoy and ha ve a cocktail for me .x

Well here goes a thing upon the last 2 days.......

Flight was more eventful than usual and I was the md flight entertainment! What can I say, 35 years of flying short, medium and long haul without incident but not this time. I started to feel too hot and went to get some water from the stewards, only to start feeling really fuzzy and then keeled over. Came around on a blanket along the aisle with an oxygen mask on and a lot of worried stewards peering down at me. Evidently I have another passenger to thank for saving me from bashing myself on the decent, he swept in and caught me and gently lowered me to twhe ground. I only know this as one of the flight attendants was from my home town and told me all about it. A litre of water later and changed into summer clothes and I was fully revived and back in my seat to watch the rest of the movie, enforce managing a few hours sleep.

Friday

W landed a little ahead of time at 7.30. Queues at immigration were quite short and I got Avery pleasant Emirati, who started off by welcoming back to Dubai. He then went on to ask which Glasgow football team and then onto golf. Never known them to be anything but stern before. Anyway very nice to start off with a welcome. Got a taxi no problem right outside the terminal door and headed to the port. I'd been told check in wasn't until 8pm but had heard on here they'd take luggage in the morning. Got to the sport quite quickly. Taxi fare was about £12. Right enough, handing over my case wasn't an issue, but checkin would not start until 3pm. We'd be allowed on the ship at that time but it would be 8pm before we could have our cabins. The comfy sofas in the terminal were already occupied, so I decided to use one of the free shuttle buses to kill some time at a mall. The choice in the morning was Bur Jurman or Dubai Outlet. There was also a shuttle in the afternoon to mercato at Jumeirah beach which I'd have preferred to go to but didn't feel like waiting 2.5 hours to go. So the Outlet mall it was. Journey time was around 30-35 minutes. They certainly had some bargains there but I was really too tired to bother. Had some lunch at the food court and a bit of a wander before getting the shuttle back at 2pm. By the time we got back to the terminal, lines were starting to form for embarkation. What a faff that was. Why Costa can't just let you do everything with the first person you see I don't know. Instaed you wait for 20-30 minutes for someone to look at your boarding for a and passport and then just give them back to you. You then wait gain and an officiL then looks at them. Then another wait for them to the same again. This time though I got a really rude girl speaking what sounded like Russian to a colleague and completely ignored me. By this time people who had been 10 or so behind me were on their way to the next counter but not me. I eventually asked if there was a problem but she just shrugged and said she was waiting a for the queue to move up. She then handed me a sheet with info on it for dinner etc that even. The next person, took my passport and gave me a receipt for it and my Costa card. Finally nearly there. Obligatory ships photographer"0 before eventually getting my photo taken and being allowed on the ship.

Wasn't very sure whether I liked the ship or not from my first impressions. In some wYs it reminded me of the Favolosa in layout but a bit smaller and not nearly as garish. Decks 3 & 4 are not the easiest to navigate as the 2 restaurants sop you moving from oneend to another. The rafieeli restaurant is alongside the atrium bar abut you can't get to it from there. Instead you have to nip down to deck 2 go along to the next set of stairs and up again.

After a bit of a wander, went to the grill on the front pool area. Not a huge selection but enough for a snack to keep me going until dinner at 20.30. There were going to be 2 sittings but open rather than at your allocated table. First was 18.00. Then started to put the all inclusive to use by having a beer and a coffee. Decided to rest on a lounger with my kindle for a few hours until my cabin was ready. Normally on previous cruises, towels have been easy to find, on beds and at stations all over the place but there were none and almost all the passengers didn't have any either. I later found out when I got to my cabin that they have a new policy of providing you with 2 in your cabin which you have to put on the bathroom floor when you want them washed and new ones. I don't mind a this green policy but really not much good on the first day.

I decided around 6.30 to go and find out where my cabin was for later to discover it was already ready although most weren't. No idea if I was lucky or it was because I've now moved up to pearl in the Costa Club. Either way I was delighted to be able to get in. This had been a late booking just 3 weeks before sailing so all that I could get was a premium inside on deck 6. First impressions were favourable though. Better thN id expected. My last inside had been a HC single which had an enormous wet room but a tiny bed. This has a queen sized bed and plenty of storage.

One of the perks of a premium cabin is that you get to choose your restaurant and sitting. I'd picked upper deck of the raffaelli for second sitting. I'd been allocated to the exact opposite - 1st on the lower deck of Michelangelo. Customer Services told me to go to the restaurant to see the Maitre D' but when I got there I was told I had to wait until 11 the next morning to see him in the card room.

The rest of my first day seemed to be a series of minor mishaps and not great attitude from crew. Tried to get served in the atrium bar but a waitress wouldn't take my order and pointed to another who took about another 20 minutes to get around to me. This happened again later and then I was told my card was wrong as it didn't have Extray printed on it to indicate I'd already bought the all inclusive at the time I booked the cruise. I was getting irritable by now and as my patience was fast running out, skipped the MDR in favour of pizza slices and salad bar in the buffet (that is all that is available until after 21.30). Then it was bed for me for some much needed sleep.

Saturday

As muster drill was at 10, I went to the front pool grill just before 9 for brekkie. Used my AI to get a fresh squeezed juice and cappucino and got my food. All the outside tables were occupied but an elderly solo gentleman was happy to let me share his table. Had some time to explore the ship afterwards before heading to my a in to get my lifejacket and await the signal for muster. It takes a full 30 minutes. Folk took it seriously (as they should) for the first 3 languages Italian, English and German! after that Lot started talking and loudly somI doubt the French and Spanish heard all they should. I speak both languages reasonably well and couldn't hear most of it.

Back to by cabin to dump the lifejacket, then off to find the card room to get my sitting changed to second. Most seemed to be getting what they wanted but the family immeditaitel before me didn't. They were told they have to stick with what they'd been given for now and they may be able to get a change later in the queue. Hearing this I wasn't too hopeful. However when I explained that I'd not been given either the sitting or restaurant I'd booked, there was no issue. He told me I'd get a new table allocation delivered to my cabin later - which I did.

Spent some time sunbathing on the pool deck before heading to the MDR for lunch which was very enjoyable. Afterwards it was back on deck for more sun. This was our welcome gala. Strangely the cocktail party was after dinner. Diner was good but I'm at a table of 4 with just myself which was a bit disappointing. Oh well can't be helped. Haven't heard many English speaking passengers and those that re may well be on first sitting. The show was at 23.15 but I was too tired to go to it.

Sunday - Muscat

After breakfast I got the compulsory port bus to the gates where I got a taxi to take me to the Al bandar hotel at the Shangri La resort. I'd prebooked their Day tin Paradise pass for OMR25 which includes use of the beach and pools, buffet lunch and 20% discount at heir spa. Although the fare to the hotel was meant to be a fixed fare of OMR 12, it ended up costing 14 because neither of us had change (if you can be live the driver that is).

The Shangri La is about a half hour drive from the port. The grounds are extensive and beautifully landscaped. Sun beds very plentiful and comfortable. I chose the garden beside the beach so I could see and hear the surf breaking on the beach. They gave you a little cool box packed full of ice and a couple of bottles of water. Lunch was nice. Reasonable selection of hot and cold foods. Loved the lemonade! After lunch I explored the grounds. They have a lazy river that meanders between 2 of the 3 hotels in the resort. I eventually found the Chi Spa where I'd booked the Rose and Frankincense wrap - it was heavenly. After that it was tome to head to reception for my taxi that I'd asked to return for me at 5.15. I was a minute or 2 late back but he wSnt there. after waiting 10 minutes, I came to the conclusion he had either not waited or never came. Concierge phoned for another cab and a lovely young driver showed up in a few minutes. We chatted all the way back to the port. He pointed out things of interest and asked about my country. He told me he was a second year Uni student and trying to improve his English. Took me into the port gates where the buses were and only wanted OMR8 for the return trip. Glad my first driver never showed up!

Thank you for updating your blog. It sounds like your first day was rather chaotic. I will look forward to reading the rest of it.

Do you think the ship is full? I hope that you have managed to meet some English speakers by now. It seems you struggled to get served drink at first .has this settled down and how is the wine service in the restaurant?

Is it right to assume the waters are calm in the AUE?

Look forward to hearing more. Ann :);)

Thanks for taking the trouble Amo!

My checkin experience at Santos, where the Fantasia and a Costa ship were boarding simultaneously, was the opposite. Costa guests arrived at the desk and went through in two minutes while MSC guests were lost in a football pitch sized sea of chaos.

We won't have the problem of dining alane on the Armonia.

On my last night in Turkey and I think my liver has finally failed. I think it will be just hot chocolate and a bite of pizza for dinner followed by an early night.

What currency do you think is best to take. Will we need dirhams? Did you get Omani money sorry can't remember it's name .

I've brought Dirhams and Reals with me. Definitely needed the Dirhams for taxis etc. in Oman the taxi driver gave me a price in euros first before reals but on the way back only reals. Suspect you could get by with euros but it really depends on what you intend doing. I like doing stuff independently so prefer to always have local currency.

Thank you for updating your blog. It sounds like your first day was rather chaotic. I will look forward to reading the rest of it.

Do you think the ship is full? I hope that you have managed to meet some English speakers by now. It seems you struggled to get served drink at first .has this settled down and how is the wine service in the restaurant?

Is it right to assume the waters are calm in the AUE?

Look forward to hearing more. Ann :);)

I'd say the ship is reasonably full but not at peak occupancy.mostly can get a seat or lounger without any issues, it's just the atrium bar just before the show goes in that gets extremely busy but that's normal.

Haven't met another English speaking passenger yet although occasionally heard someone speaking English in the distance. Had lunch with a Dutch couple yesterday that spoke some English.

Things settled down after the first day. I rather suspect my mood on day one was a contributing factor! Being overtired, hot and generally a bit grumpy makes you notice the small stuff that normally would flow right last me. Service in MDR is good. Seems you get your wine and water quicker when you are on the AI deal than if you are just ordering from the list. Also had no issues getting seconds on the days I've wanted a refill.

Seas are extremely calm. I dare say they can get storms here but I've not experienced any of that on this or my other 2 sailings in the region.

Thanks for taking the trouble Amo!

My checkin experience at Santos, where the Fantasia and a Costa ship were boarding simultaneously, was the opposite. Costa guests arrived at the desk and went through in two minutes while MSC guests were lost in a football pitch sized sea of chaos.

We won't have the problem of dining alane on the Armonia.

On my last night in Turkey and I think my liver has finally failed. I think it will be just hot chocolate and a bite of pizza for dinner followed by an early night.

Hi Tim

Safe journey home, you've time to dry out before the Armonia. As you say, won't be all on my lonesome on that one unless I want to be with our mega roll call!

This has been my most solitary cruise but I'm still enjoying myself. I. an be a bit of a loner at times any way. Really no different than when I'm on a land trip. I do miss the banter at dinner though. A lively table is part of the evenings entertainment for me. Suspect if I'd stuck to my early allocated t Le, I might have had companions.

Can't believe it is Wednesday already. It's not like I've been frantically busy doing things, in fact I'm hard pressed to say what I have been doing other than eating, drinking and relaxing in the sun with my kindle!

I was lazy on Monday and didn't bother getting up and organised to go to Muttrah Souk in the morning before we left at lunch time. As a Costa Club member (Pearl or Black Pearl) you get a complimentary visit to the Club restaurant. It's aft deck 11. It was quite busy unlike on MSC's equivalent which is usually very quiet. I had the cured beef with pecorino (bit like carpaccio), rib eye with porcini sauce, baked potato and asparagus and the dessert tasting which was a little bit of everything which suited me fine as I couldn't decide what I wanted! Food was good but not outstanding. Service just ok, and a bit slow to start with. Didn't get my drinks until after my starter had arrived.

On the subject of food in general, in my opinion both the food itself and presentation is better on Costa than it is on MSC. However the MSC a la carte experience is very comparable with fine dining/Michelin star restaurants I've been to but Costa's just a nice restaurant. I'm not sure I'd pay for the Costa one, but definitely would on MSC (I get complimentary visits on both lines). Perhaps it was just too Americanised for me - I was expecting something a bit more than surf and turf or steak and baked potato. Very limited choice of wines by the glass also. Only one dessert wine Moscato and just one red if you came off the AI to get a better wine. No sommelier either, just a waitress who knew what was available but didn't seem to know much about them.

I've eaten quite a few times at lunch in the MDR and the choice and quality have always been good. Service takes a while some days but then it is busy. I've certainly enjoyed every visit. I've had a snack at the grill one day which was just your usual salads and burgers. Can't comment on the choice at the buffet itself as I've not been other than for a slice of pizza late in the afternoon. The evening buffet is just said and pizza slices until after 21.30 when it becomes a waiter service pizzeria.

We were in Khasab yesterday and I had planned to do the walk into the village but it didn't look that pleasant a walk along a busy road that looked hot and dusty. I was more than happy to stay by the pool.

Today we are in Abu Dhabi. Just letting the initial rush off the ship to die down before I head down to get a taxi to Saadiyat island for the day at Monte Carlo beach club.

The ship itself has grown on me other the week and I've now worked out the layout which I found confusing initially. It really is quite a nice ship. Not as lovely as the Atlantica but I would sail on her again. I quite like the tiers on the pool deck - bit like terrace cut into a hill side. Not so good though if stairs are an issue for you but there are areas that are accessible by lift.

Haven't really checked out all the entertainment. Just spent evenings in either the Grand Bar on deck 5 or Atrium bar on deck 3. I prefer the music in the atrium bar but it doesn't vary much from vending to evening.

We had our last gala night last night as we are in port today until 23.00 and overnight in Dubai tomorrow. The menu was very nice last night although I didn't stay for dessert which was no doubt baked Alaska. Had already eaten too much and was feeling too warm - slight sunburn combined by a busy MDR!

Thank you so much for doing this blog and answering my questions. You sound like you are enjoying it. Enjoy abu dabhi and the sun. It's hard to imagine sun when it's so miserable here . Look forward to the next installment . Ann

Suspect if I'd stuck to my early allocated t Le, I might have had companions.

Hi Mairi, yes that is what I was wondering as your allocation was totally opposite to your request. You may have been put on a table with the only other English-speakers aboard. If only the line could communicate the reasons behind its apparent random disregard of booking requests...

"Yes, I know you booked a suite on deck 13 to yourself but, studying your profile, we thought you would be much happier sharing a dormitory in the bilges with our Slovakian mud wrestling entertainers instead"

... is all it takes :).

Safe journey home - and I mean that!

Hi Mairi, yes that is what I was wondering as your allocation was totally opposite to your request. You may have been put on a table with the only other English-speakers aboard. If only the line could communicate the reasons behind its apparent random disregard of booking requests...

"Yes, I know you booked a suite on deck 13 to yourself but, studying your profile, we thought you would be much happier sharing a dormitory in the bilges with our Slovakian mud wrestling entertainers instead"

Lol!

Those Slovakian mud wrestling entertainers are a great bunch of guys, I'd share with them!

Safe trip home Amo.

They sure do sound entertaining, now if only I could find them!

Right need go research a mall near the Palm. Left my boots on the plane when I arrived here and don't feel to inclined to do the trip from Glasgow airport to Edinburgh in Sandals in early Feb. it's winter here so I did see boots in a shop earlier in the week. Now I want go buy some will I find them????

Really looking forward to this afternoon. I'm doing afternoon tea at the Sultan's Lounge at JZS on the Palm. I've then got a 2 hour session in their Ottoman spa after that. Yippee!

Then after that it's back to the ship for the tedious task of packing:(

This has been different from my other Costa cruises but a verybrelaxing and enjoyable one nevertheless. The Atlantica remains my favourite ship but would sail on this one or a similar vessel in the future.

Got my boots at the mall of the Emirates in Debenhams of all places. Very nice suede Dune ones and half price too, so very happy with that.

Excellent afternoon at JZS on the Palm. Afternoon tea was on a beautiful shady terrace with views of the pool, gardens and some really expensive gleaming white boats moored at the Palm. Worth every dirham at 255AED. Service was impeccable, tea fantastic and the selection of savoury and sweet food was very visually appealing and it tasted good too. Had to keep an eye out for the wild birds. Didn't mind them going for crumbs but wasn't sharing my scones or sannies with them!

The Talise Ottoman spa was enormous. Should have also booked to use the ham man or water are - it looked amazing. Still my 2 hour Talise Experience e which consisted of skin brush, massage and facial was superb. Instead of using normal massage oil, she used a concoction of Shea and mango butter with Rose added in. Smelt amazing and soaked into your skin afterwards leaving it feeling really smooth rather than the usual oily gunk. Massage bed was huge and very comfy. It moved in all directions so instead of having towels placed under your knees, it rose under your knees and dropped a bit at your ankles, leaving your legs and lower back fully supported.

Taxi ride back to the ship took just over an hour (should really have been around 35 minutes) but Thursday night is the start of the weekend in Dubai and the traffic was hideous. Taxi fare wasn't bad though at AED78, around £15. Arrived back at the ship at just before 8.30 and had a wee bit time to Chuck some clothes in my case before dinner. I've been allocated to the black group - those not flying back tomorrow. My case has to be out by 1am and I need to vacate my cabin by 14.00 tomorrow. I can disembark from 07.30-15.00. I'll probably head ashore around 11.30. No point going to the hotel at JBR any earlier as I'll not be able to check in. Looking forward to spending the weekend at JBR/Dubai Marina.

Final update- Disembarkation

This was by far the easiest disembarkation I've ever had in 22 cruises. I was given a wide ranging slot of leave anytime you want between 07.30 and 15.00 but be out your cabin by 14.00.

As I didn't have a flight to catch, saw no point in going to my hotel too early. Instead I had breakfast at 9.00 and then sunbathed for a few hours on deck before returning to my cBin to shower, change and pack up my remaining things. Left my cabin at 12.20 and by 12.30 I was getting in a taxi. Lift down 6 floors and straight off the ship. The holding area for luggage was sign posted to the right. Found the cases with black labels easily as they were the biggest group. Thought my silver case was quite distinctive and easy to spot as it's a very new model but there were at least half a dozen of them! Anyway still the quickest disembarkation ever and so much more relaxing having your cabin until the time you want to leave. No waiting around in a lounge with hand luggage piled up everywhere and a lot of fed up people.

First time I had a Costa flight and transfer and we were also allowed to keep our cabin until 14.00 or 15.00 but our transfer was not until 22.00 for a 01.00 flight, so that was fairly boring hanging around for hours. There were lots of people sleeping on deck wrapped in pool towels that evening.

Thanks for a very informative blog. Enjoy the rest of your hol. Can't wait for Thursday now. Ann

Have a great time! It was a bit overcast the past couple of days but still not exactly cold at 21 compared to 3 when I landed at Glasgow airport tonight!