Room Inspection

jolson56

The two solo travelers I am referring to believe they were singled out, not because they were solo travelers per se, as they travel together, but in separate cabins. They believe because they do b2b2b to Mexico, they were suspect of smuggling drugs. If you knew these two you would know how rediculous that is.

You say you would have no problem with it, but picture this: you are standing in the hallway in your pajamas while your cabin is being searched and others are looking at you as if you are a criminal. It's more than just embarrassing, it's humiliating, among other things.

Well, I certainly can't speak to how your friends felt, but I can tell you :

I wear silk pajamas. They are quite nice and it would not embarrass me in the slightest. I'm not easily "shamed". things like this are bound to happen and it will probably happen to me at some point. How others "look at me" is entirely about them, not about me. I would probably just take it the same way i do at airports: they're just doing their jobs. If it ever happens to me, I will just take my drink from my bar set up with me, and sit in the hall reading my book until they are finished. How others "perceive" me is entirely their problem and none of my business.

The two solo travelers I am referring to believe they were singled out, not because they were solo travelers per se, as they travel together, but in separate cabins. They believe because they do b2b2b to Mexico, they were suspect of smuggling drugs. If you knew these two you would know how rediculous that is.

You say you would have no problem with it, but picture this: you are standing in the hallway in your pajamas while your cabin is being searched and others are looking at you as if you are a criminal. It's more than just embarrassing, it's humiliating, among other things.

that would certainly get any security departments attention.

If you don't want the cruise company to be able to search your possessions, wouldn't the logical answer be "don't cruise"?

You may not like it, you may think it's a violation of your rights (which it's not), but if you don't want it to happen, then don't cruise. Simple, right?

If you don't want the cruise company to be able to search your possessions, wouldn't the logical answer be "don't cruise"?

You may not like it, you may think it's a violation of your rights (which it's not), but if you don't want it to happen, then don't cruise. Simple, right?

Very simple to me, but the smugglers want to get away with bringing their contraband onboard if they make it past security the first time.

I'm with you. Either stay home or follow the rules

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

They have a right to make sure we all follow rules on their ship. If you don't like it, quit smuggling or stay home.

I just posted what I was told. I wondered if it was true.

Very simple to me, but the smugglers want to get away with bringing their contraband onboard if they make it past security the first time.

I'm with you. Either stay home or follow the rules

even someone infected with holierthanthouitis like yourself is still subject to the search. the contract everyone is concerned with doesn't say the searches are limited to certain hours so hopefully you will be on the 3am list. how deep are they allowed to search? be careful if they are wearing latex gloves.

so if they search your cabin looking for whatever they are looking for you're ok with them checking the wife's personal items, checking your camera for pictures of contraband, your computer, etc.. looking through your meds, etc.. they call you down to security before they will open a bag they suspect of something but they have a free pass to your cabin?

Yes.

you are standing in the hallway in your pajamas while your cabin is being searched and others are looking at you as if you are a criminal. It's more than just embarrassing, it's humiliating, among other things.

This is what happened to my wife and I as US Customs Agents performed their search of our cabin. It lasted about 20 minutes. We chatted with one Customs agent and the RCI staff in the hall, and we got a lot of looks from other passengers passing by. We all talked about how people must think we are in a lot of trouble as they passed us......

This isn't a problem for anyone in my group. We have nothing to hide. Yes, this is in the contract that we all sign before we board the ship.

If you have nothing to hide, why would this bother you? I just don't get it.

Nothing can top the scene we saw at about 0730 on the Explorer in Bermuda. Two customs agents got off of the elevator (this was glass so we saw them coming). Both were attached to two very large hyper ready to go German Shepherds (about 90#'s each). They split and went separate ways down either side hallways checking for drugs so we could be cleared to disembark in Bermuda. It was a sight. I was thinking; WOW, if I woke up and opened my cabin door to one of those dogs barking at me with teeth bared, I wouldn't need to excuse myself, I would have already tinkled.:eek:

Point is, you best not have anything in your cabin that you know you shouldn't have. Nuff said...

even someone infected with holierthanthouitis like yourself is still subject to the search. the contract everyone is concerned with doesn't say the searches are limited to certain hours so hopefully you will be on the 3am list. how deep are they allowed to search? be careful if they are wearing latex gloves.

They can search wherever because I have nothing to hide . Been on 8 cruises and I've never had a problem and don't expect there to be a problem.

This is what happened to my wife and I as US Customs Agents performed their search of our cabin. It lasted about 20 minutes. We chatted with one Customs agent and the RCI staff in the hall, and we got a lot of looks from other passengers passing by. We all talked about how people must think we are in a lot of trouble as they passed us......

So US Customs agents checked your particular room for no apparent reason? That's a little hard to believe. Out of every room why in the world would they check yours?

Some say the current policies regarding buying bottles onboard etc are a result of the Smith case where some of the parties concerned were drinking smuggled Absinthe before the tragedy.

RC ended the practice of allowing passengers to buy bottles and take them back to the staterooms in 2004.

The Smith case happened in 2005.

:)

The second was early one morning when the guests were in bed and answered a knock on the door. It was security and they were asked to wait in the hallway (in their pajamas) while their room was gone thru. In this instance, it was two guests traveling solo, each in different cabins, and it happened to each of them. They were asked a number of questions including "Why do you cruise so much", as they are FREQUENT cruisers. There was no appology in either instance.

There's no Probable Cause involved in that scenario. That's a Customs border search. I don't like that they do it that way either, but it's a risk you take when crossing the border. They can do that at random.

So US Customs agents checked your particular room for no apparent reason? That's a little hard to believe. Out of every room why in the world would they check yours?

It was a random border cabin inspection by the US Customs. The Customs agent we spoke with said they inspect 15 cabins randomly. A benefit was we were able to bypass customs when we disembarked in Puerto Rico....

I think I will have to take a nanny cam on my next RCI cruise.

No, wait I don't cruise RCI anymore and I do not need it on any other line.

Fabulous

Sent from my iPhone using Forums while sitting in nordstrom bored out of my mind while DW shops

US Customs agents are a different ballgame then RCI employees plundering through your stuff. I find it very hard to believe their selection was random. something fit a profile for them to key on certain rooms. I don't think US Customs agents would get involved in searching a cabin to find Rum Runners.

There's no Probable Cause involved in that scenario. That's a Customs border search. I don't like that they do it that way either, but it's a risk you take when crossing the border. They can do that at random.

Ok I got it. I've never seen that happen before or even heard of it.

US Customs agents are a different ballgame then RCI employees plundering through your stuff. I find it very hard to believe their selection was random. something fit a profile for them to key on certain rooms. I don't think US Customs agents would get involved in searching a cabin to find Rum Runners.

Exactly, I agree with you.