Where is the port in BKK

We-R-Off

It depends on the ship. Most cruise ships are of such a size that they must use the ocean port of Laem Chabang. Count on a two hour of so transfer from the city. Smaller cruise ships, most often the luxury lines, can directly access the city via the Chao Phraya river.

Depends on the ship.

Some small ships berth pretty close to the city, 30 minutes away or less.

But most berth at Laem Chabang, a minimum 90 minutes south-east of Bangkok (but allow at least 2.5 hours to get back to the ship).

Yes, public transport is good in general, but there's no train or useable bus service from Laem Chabang - it's a large & fairly isolated industrial port. Taxis available at the port are a twice-the-value rip-off, so you'd need to pre-book a ship's or private (or shared, via RollCall?) transfer or tour to Bangkok.

Pattaya is only about 20 minutes away in the opposite direction - although taxis at the port are again over-priced it's only by a couple of dollars for that short distance.

JB :)

We docked at Klong Toey on one cruise on a smaller ship. As others have mentioned Laem Chabang is the other port which is a long way out. We were on the same size ship as previously so not sure why we docked at Laem Chabang rather than Klong Toey.

Laem Chabang was very, very smoggy when we were there. It seemed a lot worse than in the city.

It depends on the ship. Most cruise ships are of such a size that they must use the ocean port of Laem Chabang. Count on a two hour of so transfer from the city. Smaller cruise ships, most often the luxury lines, can directly access the city via the Chao Phraya river.

I understand that Laem Chabang, our port is quite near to Pattaya.

As we shall beginning our holiday in BKK & have no wish to revisit Pattaya, any suggestions of areas of interest in the vicinity, or should we just go for lots of massages ?

Bronte2,

We had the same experience as yourself. We inquired and were told that Bangkok does not wish the increased traffic on their busy river in the city.

[Chao Phyra/? sp]

Thanks for that information. That makes a lot of sense although not so good for passengers. :(

• 2 weeks later...

From what research I have done,I am pretty sure Princess uses the port of Laem Chabang which is south of BKK.(about 2hrs.) So probably impossible not to use a Princess tour, if you want to see the city of BKK. I have been on land tours in BKK, so maybe a trip to Pattaya this time, since it is much closer to the port.

From what research I have done,I am pretty sure Princess uses the port of Laem Chabang which is south of BKK.(about 2hrs.) So probably impossible not to use a Princess tour, if you want to see the city of BKK. I have been on land tours in BKK, so maybe a trip to Pattaya this time, since it is much closer to the port.

I just googled a map(port of Laem to Bangkok city center) and driving time says 1 hr. 25min.,but with traffic in BKK I would say 2hrs each way is not unreasonable travel time.

My wife & I are doing a Sth East Asia Cruise with Sapphire Princess, in 2015, departing Singapore 13th february at 4pm. The ship visits Penang, Malaysia & KL in Malaysia, then back to Singapore for a few hours, then departs 4pm, then on 18th February arrives at Ko Samui in Thailand, then Bangkok (arrives 7am - departs 7pm), then on the 19th February its visits Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam, and later returns to Singapore on Monday 23rd February.

Some years ago, on a flight out of London to Australia, we had a stop-over for 2 nights, at a resort in Pattaya. Its a few hours drive in a taxi from Bangkok, and to tell you the truth, I would never stay at Pattaya again, didn't like it all.

We intend to get one of the cruise ship's shore excursion which takes you into Bangkok, a place we really didn't get any time to visit.

We docked in Laem Chabang the last time we cruised into BKK. As I had travelled widely in Thailand and been to BKK several times, we opted to take the shuttle to Pattaya as I had avoided this on previous trips due to it's reputation.

Now I know why. It's just my personal opinion, but we found it very sleazy. Lots of single men of mature years (mainly) with local ladies. Even at midday there wasn't a lot open around the beach area as the main activity is at night. The beach area didn't even look appealing so even that wasn't an attraction.

Perhaps there are other areas of Pattaya that are more pleasant than the area around the shuttle drop-off so this is only our experience but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. :eek: