More questions on what's acceptable men's attire around the ship

Tarpeian Rock

My wife and I are eagerly anticipating our first O cruise, the Mayan Mistique, in March. My concerns are being overdressed, not underdressed. I rarely wear shorts, and the ones I do wear tend to be classic Bermuda (getting hard to find!) or quick-dry above-the-knee nylon. It would never occur to me to go to any meal, even outside on the Terrace, in shorts. Am I going to look like a refugee from Downton Abbey if I dress for breakfast and lunch? (Meaning long pants and a long-sleeved collared shirt.) Are there any other public spaces besides dining venues on the ship where dress shorts would be unacceptable?

I also have a question on dress code for excursions. I'm of the belief that visible swimming attire is never acceptable more then 6 feet away from the edge of the pool or the waterline of a beach. But we'll be cave tubing in Belize and I can't figure out how to deal with the necessary swim suit for that plus what I would normally wear around the ship as the top layer. For that excursion would it be acceptable to wear a swimsuit to walk off the ship?

In practical terms, what does CCC mean for excursions in general? If we're going to be traipsing around ruins or markets, I would tend to be more casual than I would aboard ship - meaning occasionally a polo-type shirt instead of an full Oxford-type buttoned shirt. Is this acceptable attire? Are "quality" t-shirts for men (meaning no beer or Disney logos) ever acceptable anywhere?

My wife and I are eagerly anticipating our first O cruise, the Mayan Mistique, in March. My concerns are being overdressed, not underdressed. I rarely wear shorts, and the ones I do wear tend to be classic Bermuda (getting hard to find!) or quick-dry above-the-knee nylon. It would never occur to me to go to any meal, even outside on the Terrace, in shorts. Am I going to look like a refugee from Downton Abbey if I dress for breakfast and lunch? (Meaning long pants and a long-sleeved collared shirt.) Are there any other public spaces besides dining venues on the ship where dress shorts would be unacceptable?

I also have a question on dress code for excursions. I'm of the belief that visible swimming attire is never acceptable more then 6 feet away from the edge of the pool or the waterline of a beach. But we'll be cave tubing in Belize and I can't figure out how to deal with the necessary swim suit for that plus what I would normally wear around the ship as the top layer. For that excursion would it be acceptable to wear a swimsuit to walk off the ship?

In practical terms, what does CCC mean for excursions in general? If we're going to be traipsing around ruins or markets, I would tend to be more casual than I would aboard ship - meaning occasionally a polo-type shirt instead of an full Oxford-type buttoned shirt. Is this acceptable attire? Are "quality" t-shirts for men (meaning no beer or Disney logos) ever acceptable anywhere?

They have changing rooms at the cave tube sight. Change to your swimwear there if you so choose. As for the rest of your questions wear whatever you like whenever you like. All above mentioned are completely acceptable everywhere.

First of all, it's unlikely anyone will care, or even notice, what you wear as long as it meets the minimum standards outline by Oceania: no swimwear in any of the restuarants (other than Waves) at any time, long pants and collared shirt at most restaurants in the evening (dress shorts are OK at the Terrace in the evening).

There are no other rules during the day; wear whatever meets your own standards or makes you comfortable (Within reaon, of course...I don't think "clothing optional" would be accepted ;)).

Tarpeian Rock; you are seriously overthing the dress code. The only CCC dress code is for after 6 PM. As Don said, dress as you like, shorts, jeans, tee shirts even with any kind of non vulgar logo is OK before 6 PM.

You beliefs on swim suits is extremely strange as your rule would require someone getting a tan in their swim suit to be lounging within 6 feet of the pool or beach water line which would restrict people in swim suits to an extremely small area.

Relax, you are on vacation and have a great time and don't worry about dressing up before 6 either on excursion or on board. Shorts and tee shirts are fine in any dining area before 6 PM.

My concerns are being overdressed, not underdressed. I rarely wear shorts, and the ones I do wear tend to be classic Bermuda (getting hard to find!) or ... Am I going to look like a refugee from Downton Abbey if I dress for breakfast and lunch? (Meaning long pants and a long-sleeved collared shirt.)

Not too worry. Overdressed is the lesser of the two 'evils' :) You will be fine.

Today's men's swimsuits are huge board shorts. You can wear them on excursions and nobody will notice the difference to casual shorts. Speedos, however, will turn heads. :)

True as the OP is on a Mexican/Caribbean cruise but 'board shorts' are not the norm in the streets in say, Europe or in the North. That said, I do see men in shorts even with snow on the ground. Ironically an effort to appear casual. I have too seen common wearing of Speedos in Europe and whole-heartedly agree with your board shorts suggestion!

Just make you provide good service when asked by fellow passengers to bring them drinks etc!;)

You can keep the tips...... Carry some wallet photos of Unicef kids...tell who you are serving they are yours, and your working to feed then in Chad but fist have to get your mother freed from a Mongolian work camp so she can have her heart operation.... Limp as you walk.

Avoid conversations about the cost increases to get the Mercedes serviced or how tough it is to get a Tee time at Pebble Beach. It will be counter productive.....Hmm...... maybe I will pack my Tux..different cruise.