Wine snobs

miccheck

I'll be going down to my basement to pull a couple of bottles of full bodied cabs, that are at least 7-9 years old. Maybe one of my favorites Californian wines that I can afford like Silver Oak, Faust, Hawks and Horses, Prisoner, or a Kunde for a nice steak night, and then one of Sur De Los Andes Malbec Gran Reservas for Italian dinner night. Don't worry about bottle shock on the cruise, we hopefully won't be shaking that bad. And anybody shopping at Walmart or Trader Joe's for wine is not a wine snob, but just a wino like the rest of us. I'm a wine guy, but not a snob and I enjoy hearing what people like. To each their own.

I tried a bottle of Caymus cab sav on a recent cruise and was very impressed. Any ideas where I can purchase in Australia? Havent had any luck searching online. Hoping somebody can point me in the right direction.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I think it's more appropriate to compare Royal wine pricing to restaurant wine pricing, as opposed to a retail store. In that comparison, their prices are not bad, in fact for the more expensive wines, they have better prices than big city restaurants.
Royal Caribbean bottle prices are close to double what they are at restaurants around where I live.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Royal Caribbean bottle prices are close to double what they are at restaurants around where I live.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My favorite wines- those made by my husband. No company makes a better one. So we carry on 2 bottles of his wine to enjoy on our balcony. Up until last cruise, we bought the wine packages. They are now out of controller in price. I realize this is where they make their money- but why not make a reasonable profit instead and make your cruisers happy?

I think it's more appropriate to compare Royal wine pricing to restaurant wine pricing, as opposed to a retail store. In that comparison, their prices are not bad, in fact for the more expensive wines, they have better prices than big city restaurants.

That's been our experience as well. In fact, it seems the higher the price of the wine, the less percentage mark up. So, the better wines are also the better values. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Yum! Please tell me that Caymus is no younger than 2007!

On Freedom last year, they were selling 2008 or 2009, which was a total baby that needed to be buried for at least 3, and preferably 5-8 years!

I have a few Lapostolles in the basement. Amazing wines!

My local pusher forced me to taste a 2010 Mondavi Reserve Cab tonight. That's going to be at least a couple more bottles in the basement...

:o It is younger than 2007. We had the other very expensive Caymus last year-brought over to Spain The Allure had Caymus in 2012. Can't remember what year it was, but I am sure she was a baby.

:o It is younger than 2007. We had the other very expensive Caymus last year-brought over to Spain The Allure had Caymus in 2012. Can't remember what year it was, but I am sure she was a baby.

Oh, well. Enjoy it anyway!

Of course, I seem to recall some very nice Long Island Merlots from a long time ago, and those definitely wouldn't be on the ship!

Once upon a time, we used to cruise HAL (and we just hit our early 50's). One thing HAL did very well (at that time) was bring a sommelier onboard, and feature wines from the Pacific Northwest where they are headquartered. Some amazing Washington State and Oregon wines. That is one thing I do miss on RCI...

Y

In my opinion Royal is just getting the wine from Napa and not a local vineyard. I would bring on two special boutique wines that Royal has never even heard of.

You want them to find and purchase wine from a local vineyard in Miami or Nassau, LOL? :D

For our cruise next month we'll bring a cab from Anderson's Conn Valley Vineyards, and maybe a Barnett Vineyards Rattlesnake Hill cab.