Cost

sg4crzn

I must first state that I am a big Disney fanatic and I have been on numerous Disney cruises and it all started with the characters on The Big Red Boat. I have thoroughly enjoyed every Disney cruise. The ships are beautiful, activities are amazing, shows are fabulous and I have had great service. My last cruise dining experience wasn't as great but not bad.

My problem is when I compare the prices compared to other cruise lines that I have been on and had just as great of a time just not Disnified, Disney is just crazy high price. As long as people pay the outrageous prices they won't lower them. People pay prices as a 5 star restaurant but want to walk in the dining room dressed like they are going to Ponderosa.

Let's hear your thought about why Disney charges so much and why we pay it. Free soda all week can't cost that much.

sg4crzn,

You answered your own question?

I must first state that I am a big Disney fanatic and I have been on numerous Disney cruises and it all started with the characters on The Big Red Boat. I have thoroughly enjoyed every Disney cruise. The ships are beautiful, activities are amazing, shows are fabulous and I have had great service. My last cruise dining experience wasn't as great but not bad.

My problem is when I compare the prices compared to other cruise lines that I have been on and had just as great of a time just not Disnified, Disney is just crazy high price. As long as people pay the outrageous prices they won't lower them. People pay prices as a 5 star restaurant but want to walk in the dining room dressed like they are going to Ponderosa.

Let's hear your thought about why Disney charges so much and why we pay it. Free soda all week can't cost that much.

As for "People pay prices as a 5 star restaurant but want to walk in the dining room dressed like they are going to Ponderosa" DCL allowed the dining attire to be relaxed. Unless that affects the bottom line with cruisers wishing a dress code is established AND enforced, they just chase the dollar.

They wanted and held a good stand for a while, then they let it slide, then it was the norm, then they caved.

But they will still charge top dollar because those that dress more casual will still pay the upcharge for a DCL cruise other other lines.

They will change their minds and enforce it if it affects the bottom line profit. Be assured of that.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Not sure I'd equate DCL fares with a "five star" dining experience. The last time we dined at a Michelin two star, dinner for three with one bottle of wine purchased from the restaurant and two corkage fees, plus tax and tip was about $500. Unless you are sailing in concierge, that's more than a cabin, all meals, entertainment, etc. for three onboard DCL.

Unless you are dining in Remy, you aren't getting five star food, either. It saying the food is bad, but it is not Michelin rated quality.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Edited by ducklite

I've never eaten at a five star restaurant and don't think I would pay that much for food-it's just not my thing in life. I was stating it I guess just as a figure of speech for the decor of the dining rooms. That's the only difference I see on a Disney ship compared to other lines dining room. My whole point was why do we pay the higher rates for a Disney cruise.

DCL will charge whatever they think people will pay. They have some things that are better than on other lines--bigger "standard" cabins, in general better, more personable service, better entertainment, better children's programming. On those occasions when they can't find enough people to pay the rates they charge, they lower prices. They used to do it with some "across the board" price reductions; now it is more likely to be specials like the *GT system...and as always, the special rates for CMs, TAs, etc.

If they find that they can't fill cabins at the rates for balconies, they will oversell inside or oceanview cabins and shuffle people around. Bottom line, they know how to get the ships as full as possible at the highest rates possible. And they've had 15 years to make it happen.

Why do people choose to pay extra? I think a lot has to do with the Disney name. In all honesty, some other lines have some things that they do better than Disney. But overall, DCL has an excellent product, an excellent name, and the best looking ships on the seas. And they have no trouble attracting people to the highest priced cabins, even sometimes having a wait list for them!

DCL will charge whatever they think people will pay. They have some things that are better than on other lines--bigger "standard" cabins' date=' in general better, more personable service, better entertainment, better children's programming. On those occasions when they can't find enough people to pay the rates they charge, they lower prices. They used to do it with some "across the board" price reductions; now it is more likely to be specials like the *GT system...and as always, the special rates for CMs, TAs, etc.

If they find that they can't fill cabins at the rates for balconies, they will oversell inside or oceanview cabins and shuffle people around. Bottom line, they know how to get the ships as full as possible at the highest rates possible. And they've had 15 years to make it happen.

[b']Why do people choose to pay extra? I think a lot has to do with the Disney name. In all honesty, some other lines have some things that they do better than Disney. But overall, DCL has an excellent product, an excellent name, and the best looking ships on the seas. And they have no trouble attracting people to the highest priced cabins, even sometimes having a wait list for them![/b]

This above really just sums it up and moki'smommy has really nailed it down yet again.

Because they can, and they are in demand.

ex techie

Yes you answered your own question.

DCL provides a high value product and the *Disney Experience*. The high volume of passengers show they believe it as well.

All cruise line charge what the cruising public it pay, E.I. Carnival almost giving away cruises to get passenger back( and not doing well at all), RCL and NCL in the middle, they provide a good cruise and then the higher priced like princess, crystal etc, more in line with DCL prices.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

Yes you answered your own question.

DCL provides a high value product and the *Disney Experience*. The high volume of passengers show they believe it as well.

All cruise line charge what the cruising public it pay' date=' E.I. Carnival almost giving away cruises to get passenger back( and not doing well at all), RCL and NCL in the middle, they provide a good cruise and then the higher priced like princess, crystal etc, more in line with DCL prices.

AKK[/quote']

LOL! Just wanted to point out that DCL is in no way in line with the luxury cruise lines such as Crystal, Silversea, Seabourn, Regent and Oceania as well as a few others. They may charges prices similar but the service and exclusive small ship experience is not even close. I would consider DCL more of a Premium mass market line.

LOL! Just wanted to point out that DCL is in no way in line with the luxury cruise lines such as Crystal, Silversea, Seabourn, Regent and Oceania as well as a few others. They may charges prices similar but the service and exclusive small ship experience is not even close. I would consider DCL more of a Premium mass market line.

I can only speak to Crystal, (which is why I did not mention your choices) Not all that impressed with crystal.

But to each there own!

AKK

I was all set to tell you how I don't find DCL to be more expensive. It's less expensive!

I have been pricing out a cruise for Feb of next year on DCL Wonder, RCCL Oasis of the Seas and NCL Breakaway and the DCL cruise is $500 less for the 6 of us. Then I realized the other two are 7 nights and the DCL was only 5 nights. Both the Magic and Fantasy are about $4,000 more for 7 nights than the NCL and RCCL ones. Oh well.

The other thing I've noticed is that if you don't book directly through Disney, you still have to pay the same price, even if your TA throws in other perks. Disney doesn't let them discount the cost of the cruise. The others do. Oh well again.

DCL makes it impossible to book a cruise last minute. Well not impossible but at an outrageous rate. Some people can't book a cruise 11/2-2 years in advance to get the cheapest rate possible. I'd love to go in Feb but why would I pay 2k for a balcony on DCL when I can pay half that on another line? It's really sad.

I was all set to tell you how I don't find DCL to be more expensive. It's less expensive!

Many times, cheaper for me, too. DS is in wheelchair, and DCL the cheap HC rooms fit our family. Other lines, we have to get the expensive HC rooms.

Edited by mdvlprof

DCL makes it impossible to book a cruise last minute. Well not impossible but at an outrageous rate. Some people can't book a cruise 11/2-2 years in advance to get the cheapest rate possible. I'd love to go in Feb but why would I pay 2k for a balcony on DCL when I can pay half that on another line? It's really sad.

Frankly I think you again answered your own question................the market is there and your paying more for the Disney experience and Magic. As other have pointed out DCL is not always more.

Let me put this a different way, if you had a factory and you made a special and better widget and the market will pay $20.00 per unit (or cruise), you are going to charge $20.00 a widget, while the regular widgets manufacturer will charge what the market will bear for their product, say $15.00 per unit (or cruise).

Now why should you charge less for your better and special product.???

Its not sad,its the market.

AKK

It is not impossible or outrageous to book a last minute cruise on DCL. Sure, if you want to go in mid-summer or a holiday week, you are totally correct. However, we have often had cruises that were the same price the week before the cruise as they were on day 1. And when a cruise is not full, there may be specials that will give a significant discount over the day 1 rates in exchange for accepting the restrictions of the *GT rates. Other special rates (KSF, FL res, military, etc) are rarely available more than 90 days in advance of embarkation.

True, DCL does not have a last minute "fire sale" the way some other lines do, but you can get bargains.