For those who've eaten in the steak house

carrieluvsgreg

We are cruising on the dream in April. We have be on several ships with steakhouses, but I just could never justify spending $ when I'm completely happy with the food in the dining room. So, for those if you who have indulged, why would you say it's worth it to you? Or were any of you disappointed with the experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like you, we cruised many times with steakhouses and simply chose not to eat there. We were simply happy with the variety and choices in the Dining Room.

We eventually tried it. It was good, glad we tried it, but didn't feel it was worth it that much to pay extra for it.

We are cruising on the dream in April. We have be on several ships with steakhouses, but I just could never justify spending $ when I'm completely happy with the food in the dining room. So, for those if you who have indulged, why would you say it's worth it to you? Or were any of you disappointed with the experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife and I did David's the first night on the ship. They added a complimentary bottle of wine. We were happy and enjoyed the expirence. We have debated on to go again this year. It will be our one year anniversary when we set sail the 22 of June , so we just might again.

Geo

Does anyone who doe ship steakhouse regularly eat at fine dining restaurants and still recommend?

We do. Or at least did often before we had a child. We still do several tea a year, usually in NYC, and at least once when we travel.

I guess we are in the mainority here. On our Glory cruise, we missed two ports so they gave us OBC. We decided to use it at the steak house. We were not the least bit impressed. To us, it was intrusive. They'd bring out a dish, then come back within minutes to ask you how you liked it. They brought out things on a big bent spoon that the chef wanted you to try even though you had no idea of what it was.

If you are strictly meat and potatoes and want to be left alone while you eat, the steakhouse is not for you. We tried it but will never go again. The only way you'll know for sure is if you try it yourself.

yes we go everytime there is a Steak house on board. The tables are not sitting on top of each other, don't have to make small talk with table mates. I would compare it to fine dining, the service compares to fine dining, the meal is compared to fine dining. the wine list is compared to fine dining. So i will say it is comparable to fine dining. Our reservation is already put in for our November cruise.. it is one of the first thing I do after booking our cruise. :D

PS the chocolate sample is the best

I guess we are in the mainority here. On our Glory cruise, we missed two ports so they gave us OBC. We decided to use it at the steak house. We were not the least bit impressed. To us, it was intrusive. They'd bring out a dish, then come back within minutes to ask you how you liked it. They brought out things on a big bent spoon that the chef wanted you to try even though you had no idea of what it was.

If you are strictly meat and potatoes and want to be left alone while you eat, the steakhouse is not for you. We tried it but will never go again. The only way you'll know for sure is if you try it yourself.

Sorry you didn't enjoy your experience.

But the things you mention "not liking" are exactly the things that makes it fine dining. :/

Sent from my phone - using the Cruise Critic forums app

As many others have said, it is fine dining. My family went to the steak house for the first time last year and we are still talking about it. The meal takes longer than in the MDR but it didn't feel like it. Everything was nicely paced. The steak is amazing, but that's to be expected. What surprised us, was how good the sides were. I got the creamed spinach and baked potato. We all know what that looks like, right? Not so much at the steak house. the spinach was baby spinach leaves wilted in a cream sauce and the potato was the best baked potato I have ever had complete with more sides than I can remember. My family is cruising again in November and we are very much looking forward to going to the steak house again.

Sorry you didn't enjoy your experience.

But the things you mention "not liking" are exactly the things that makes it fine dining. :/

You don't need to be the least bit sorry. It's not for everyone. We just aren't in to fine dining. There's nothing wrong with people not liking fine dining. That's why I told the OP that the only way they will know for sure if they like it is to try it. We tried it, didn't like it and won't try it again. We won't talk people out of trying it though. It just wasn't for us. Some people are in to NASCAR, some into wrestling, doesn't mean everybody has to. Do what you enjoy.

You don't need to be the least bit sorry. It's not for everyone. We just aren't in to fine dining. There's nothing wrong with people not liking fine dining. That's why I told the OP that the only way they will know for sure if they like it is to try it. We tried it, didn't like it and won't try it again. We won't talk people out of trying it though. It just wasn't for us. Some people are in to NASCAR, some into wrestling, doesn't mean everybody has to. Do what you enjoy.

Absolutely true!! Different strokes for different folks..... ;)

Thanks again, for all of the responses. I have to say I'm still undecided. I do get that I will only truly know if I just bite the bullet and go. I get that everyone's preferences are different. My husband and I love the amenities of the cloud 9 spa rooms, so we spend extra to be up there. To us, totally worth it! But someone else might say, nah, not worth it. We did the mud room last year and thought it was amazing! I will do that again in a heartbeat. Right now I'm debating on an extra excursion or the steakhouse...

Thanks again, for all of the responses. I have to say I'm still undecided. I do get that I will only truly know if I just bite the bullet and go. I get that everyone's preferences are different. My husband and I love the amenities of the cloud 9 spa rooms, so we spend extra to be up there. To us, totally worth it! But someone else might say, nah, not worth it. We did the mud room last year and thought it was amazing! I will do that again in a heartbeat. Right now I'm debating on an extra excursion or the steakhouse...

If I may make a suggestion, under the YOLO theory? If your that unsure, try it, its only 35 bucks (unless your budget is that tight)... If you don't like it (You will), lol then don't do it again :P