For those who've eaten in the steak house

carrieluvsgreg

We are cruising on the dream in April. We have be on several ships with steakhouses, but I just could never justify spending $ when I'm completely happy with the food in the dining room. So, for those if you who have indulged, why would you say it's worth it to you? Or were any of you disappointed with the experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was you. Never went because why? The food in the MDR is fine. Went on our last cruise and it was amazing. The food and service was above and beyond what you get in the MDR. The price for what you get is awesome! For Hubby and I to have that nice of a dinner n land would cost about $200!

We were in the dream steakhouse in November.. first time.. well worth it.. a lot of food... great steak and chocolate sampler... will go back!! on the first sea day about 12 noon they have a steakhouse cooking demo.. they show u to make the dishes and let u try them.. that is what really sold us, but we already had reservations before we cruised...tony

We are cruising on the dream in April. We have be on several ships with steakhouses, but I just could never justify spending $ when I'm completely happy with the food in the dining room. So, for those if you who have indulged, why would you say it's worth it to you? Or were any of you disappointed with the experience?

Definitely worth it! NEVER disappointed....and we eat there at least once each cruise - sometimes more! ;) :D

We've done it on the first night & loved it as a way to start the cruise (and the free wine).

We've also eaten at the steakhouse when the ship is in port later, for example leaving Nassau at 8:00. We do early dining so it the ship doesn't leave until after 6:00 we don't feel like we need to rush back to the ship for a good dinner.

Carrie -

Like you, we have enjoyed the dining room food and never felt like we needed to dine in the steakhouse. However, we got an amazing fare on our cruise on the Glory to Canada. Since our cruise was very inexpensive, we decided to treat ourselves with the steakhouse. The food was amazing and worth every penny. It was a great splurge. So if you have the funds, do it!

We skipped it the first few cruises, but tried it after we won two free steakhouse dinners in a drawing at the past guest party. My husband was always in the camp of "why should we pay for dinner when we've already paid for it in the MDR", but for free he was willing to try it.

It was fantastic! We loved the food and the service. The next cruise we went back and paid the $30 a person because we enjoyed it so much. We plan on going again in March on the Liberty even though it's gone up to $35 a person.

Edited by Jeafl

We splurged for it on our last cruise because we were three generations cruising together - 2 grandmas, 8 "kids" and their spouses, and 5 kids from 2-9. The grannies suggested it as a night for the parents to get out and not dine with the kids, especially because on land we'd never do it because we live so far apart. I was hesitant to spend the money, but now I'd never not do it. Well worth the $35.

Thanks everybody! Seems no one has had a sub par experience! One more thing that my husband mentioned- he likes the atmosphere in the MDR as he can socialize with folks around us. (Most cruises he's known as "the mayor") he fears the steakhouse might be a "stuffier" non-social atmosphere- would that be true?

We liked it and go about once every other cruise/ Like the food in the DR but the steakhouse is a cut above.

Did have a bad experience on the Glory a few years ago with very fatty steaks and awful service but the other 6 or so times we went to steakhouse it was superb.

Thanks everybody! Seems no one has had a sub par experience! One more thing that my husband mentioned- he likes the atmosphere in the MDR as he can socialize with folks around us. (Most cruises he's known as "the mayor") he fears the steakhouse might be a "stuffier" non-social atmosphere- would that be true?

Yes, it is a fine restaurant, not a cafeteria. Tell the mayor it is the beginning of a romantic evening. That will change his mind.

Edited by joeyancho

It's definitely not the place to be sociable with your neighbors. It's quiet, tables aren't on top of each other, no singing and dancing. In the MDR I wouldn't care who talked to me, but I'd be highly annoyed at that in the steakhouse.

Best $35 spent! We always go the first night and each time it has been amazing. We haven't been on a ship that has a steakhouse in the last 5 cruises and we really miss it!

Same thing here - well past 2 cruises, but VERY excited to get to go back this summer.

It's a different experience than the dining room, not even considering the food quality. The wait staff is much more attentive and service oriented. There aren't huge tables filled with people all around, the ambiance is more intimate, and there is less hustle and bustle.

The food quality is superb. If you enjoy savoring your food, it's wonderful and a very pleasant way of spending the evening.

Think of it as any higher end steakhouse on land :)

DH and I both agreed that this was the best $70 deducted from our S&S! I was of the same mindset! When Carnival first announced the steakhouses, I immediately said to DH that I was perfectly happy with the the MDR and had no intention of giving them additional money.

Well, well, well... We typically cruise during our wedding anniversary and try to plan something special. We decided to give the steakhouse a try for our anniversary dinner on the Freedom in 2012. OMG!!! DH and I agreed that this was the best way we could have planned our special day on a ship. My mother and brother, who were newbie cruisers also loved the steakhouse. Bottom line, we already have steakhouse reservation confirmations for two nights for our upcoming cruise and DH is trying to figure out how to fit another night in.

;'0-0-

The difference is like eating at Chili's or Ruth Chris.

Are you trying to get us to convince you to go, or as you say "you could never justify spending the extra $"? What I can say is that if you had gone to the steakhouse when you first started going on cruises it would have been a much better value. Over the years the experience has changed somewhat. I can remember when dining in the steakhouse was truly an exceptional experience and value. Now I can only say that it is a great meal, go with a good appetite. True it costs $35, but it is still worth it. If the price keeps going up it might not be some day. So do yourself a favor and go while it is still worth it, if you don't like it, don't do it again. Don't forget that if you go on the first night of the cruise they will give you a complementary bottle of wine.

Hope my opinion helps

Bon Appetit

Ian