Southampton Holiday Inn or Premier Inn?

LiseD

Premier Inn West Quay is pricing out (including extra charge for breakfast) at 107 British Sterling less than Holiday Inn for 3 rooms. Is Holiday Inn a lot nicer? Better location? TripAdvisor gives a higher rating to Premier but know you all will give me the best info!! We will just be there one night-pre cruise

Holiday Inn is pretty much like you would expect in the US. Premier Inn is very slightly more down market, but absolutely nothing wrong with them for one night. They are both walkable to the ship. HI is actually beside Dock Gate 8, from where it is a 300 yd walk to the City Cruise terminal...Premier Inn is about twice that distance. For one night and saving £107 (about $175), I'd probably go for the PI.

Simon

Holiday Inn is a rather ugly 1970's building, & nowadays decidedly tired. But popular with those who cruise out of City cruise terminal because it's right by that dock gate, with views from front rooms down Southampton Water & from rear rooms over the terminal & ship.

Premier Inn West Quay is new, built about 18 months ago & of course in excellent order. Also popular with cruisers, handy for city centre & shops and a ten minute walk from City terminal. Yes, it gets better reviews than Hol Inn.

Don't know about air-con at either. We Brits don't need it, but I know it's important to some of our American cousins.

Southampton has 4 terminals, because of luggage other terminals are a short £5 to $8 taxi ride.

JB :)

We stayed at Premier soon after it opened. We were extremely comfortable and the room was quiet. My son and I walked across the street to the mall and also took a free loop bus around Southampton. We did use a cab - did not try to walk from the ship.

Premier Inn is the better choice over the HI these days unless there is a deal on the HI.(allthough no. in room can swing it back to HI on price.)

Also check out the Accor set(IBIS, IBIS budget, Mercure(dolphin), Novotel) they sometimes have deals that can swing the choice.

Edited by insidecabin

if this is July 18,19

Mercure Dolphin is £49pn(2persons RO) 1/2 the price of the HI or premier inn(Mercure do Breakfast vouchers for £6.95 in some hotels or next door is a wetherspoon does one for <£5 ).

There are some discounts available for the HI I can get it down to £94pn RO

Premier Inn West Quay is pricing out (including extra charge for breakfast) at 107 British Sterling less than Holiday Inn for 3 rooms. Is Holiday Inn a lot nicer? Better location? TripAdvisor gives a higher rating to Premier but know you all will give me the best info!! We will just be there one night-pre cruise

One option is to get the IHG credit card which is first-year free and gives you 60,000 points, enough to give you 2 free rooms for your one-night stay.

We stayed at the HI a couple of years ago, and unless they've done a major, and I do mean major, remodel and renovation the place is a dump. When DH sat on the bed the headboard fell on his recently replaced shoulder. He dragged it out into the hall, and when we told the front desk what happened they showed no interest whatsoever. The plumbing was banged so loudly that we knew each time our neighbors used the bathroom during the night. Rooms were shabby and tired.

The front desk was not at all helpful. When we asked if there was shopping or tours near by they told us to take a cab or walk to the tourist bureau--and it was pouring rain outside.

The only bright spot was the dining room. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and the food was very good.

We're taking a TA leaving Southampton in September, and we wouldn't stay at the HI for free.