Just off Freedom of the Seas!

Hello, I have just read "everyone's" replies at this point, and have been making all kinds of notes for our upcoming cruise the end of april. Now I have some questions, if someone can answer them.:)

What is the Once Upon a Time show about?

What is the Richard Spacey show about?

What is Quest about?

Where are the FREE cookies (I'm a cookie MONSTER:)) found, at Sorrentos, Cafe Promenade or Starbucks?

What is the Tutti Salad all about? I love salads.

Do they have the afternoon teas?

What is a good beach at Falmouth that is either free, or doesn't cost much?

What is a good beach at Grand Cayman that is either free, or doesn't cost much?

Sorry :( about all the questions, but I'm trying to get all my "ducks in a row" for my friend and I, as she is expecting me to get ALL the answers.

What is the Once Upon a Time show about? It is a musical that goes through different Nursery Rhymes but with a "new age" hip hop feel. Really neat songs.

What is the Richard Spacey show about? He is the Cruise Director and usually has a comedy skit about different videos from the weeks cruise and just makes fun of the time during the week of what has gone on.

What is Quest about? Held in the Ice rink, but is a competition with different segments of the crowds that has to do with finding very "unique" items in the crowd of people that are in your area. Very entertaining as to what items they ask for. Sometimes knowing what those items are can take the fun out of it. Just a fun 45 minutes late night usually during the cruise. Very interactive with the crowd and participants.

Where are the FREE cookies (I'm a cookie MONSTER:)) found, at Sorrentos, Cafe Promenade or Starbucks? Cafe Promenade. They are not like soft warm cookies, usually just normal cookies (Peanut Butter, Chocolate Chip) etc. Yes, free, as many as you want.

What is the Tutti Salad all about? I love salads. Can't help you there, google it I guess.

Do they have the afternoon teas? On some cruises, you will see a note at the Information Desk of groups that will stage a Tea Time in a certain area, not sure that the cruise line does it specifically. You can get tea at Cafe Promonade any time of the day.

What is a good beach at Falmouth that is either free, or doesn't cost much? All beaches you will pay probably a $7 fee to get in per person. You will have to pay for a cab to get to all of them as well as they are not walking distance from the cruise port (and you don't want to walk around Falmouth (outside the gates)). I really don't think Falmouth is a great place to go to a beach. I would look at other excursions that you take from the cruise port with the cruise line.

What is a good beach at Grand Cayman that is either free, or doesn't cost much? Best beaches on the cruise by far. They have one that is called "Seven Mile Beach" which is 7 miles long. You have to take a cab too, but there are some places where it is free to get on, but not many. Many are roped off because the resort in front of it ownes the chairs, area in front of it. Again, look at tours that specifically stop at the beaches. The best excursion in Grand Caymen is going to "Stingray cove".

Hope this helps. For beaches, you can go to the Ports (Caribbean) Forum on the cruise critic site.

Edited by oracer

Royal allows you to bring two (2) 750 ml bottles on board. I would ALWAYS bring it with your carry on luggage only. If you do it checked, you never know what will happen plus you will have to go to the "naughty" room because they will want you to prove it is wine instead of hard liquor. Last two RCCL cruises we took, we brought two bottles on with our carry on luggage (wine tote). Very easy. Got wine glasses from our room steward first day, just opened it in the room and usually carried a glass of wine with us for dinner and a few of the shows, or just on the balcony watching the waves go by at night.

Are the shows "kid" appropriate? I'm talking about Now You See It, Once Upon a Time, and the Ice Show. Yes, all of them are "kids" appropriate. Only the Comedy Show at 12:15 is not kid appropriate.

Were those the only "shows" (aside from Quest, Love & Marriage, etc)? They have the standard shows, Ice Show (very kid friendly, usually best show on board). Once upon a time (Musical), Now you see it (Magic), Headliner (different headliners come in and will do a one night show), Quest (sometimes can be not kid friendly because of the articles of clothing that are used), Love and Marriage (usually not kid friendly). Battle of Sexes (usually not kid friendly), Welcome Aboard (Comedy and Aerial act, kid friendly). Last is the Marquee show (musical, kid friendly, usually if you were going to miss one, this one not as good as the others).

Tutti Salad - when you have lunch in the MDR, they have a salad station set up in the middle of the room. You go to the station, and the guys behind the counter will have a metal bowl for you. You tell them what you want, and they add it to the bowl. At the end of the line they add dressing, and then chop the salad before it goes on your plate. Finally, some extras like shrimp, meat, cheeses are added. It makes a delicious salad. You can do your salad as a side dish, but if this is the case, tell them you only want a tiny salad, as things can get out of hand quickly.

Freedom going to Galveston, no, probably not. Port Canaveral is not big enought to handle an Oasis size ship and I think since they get good bookings and traffic in that site for Freedom, no need to change it. But Freedom goes out on Sunday, maybe they bring one of the new class ships in on Saturday.

PScruiser, thank you for letting me know what Tutti sald is. I'm going to have to try that out. :)

Oracer, you are amazing!!!:) Giving me all the details on my questions, thank you so much.

Another question for whoever, if (we will not be paying at one of the restaurants) you ate in the MDR all the time, especially for dinner, how was it? Also, do you know what time the late dining is?

You got me on one of my "chatty" days.

MDR has three different types of dinner times, Traditional times at 5:30 and 7:30, so you have either early (5:30) or late (7:30). You will always have the same table and the same waiter. The other is MTD (My Time Dining) and that means you can go whenever you want, but you probably will not have the same waiter or table. MTD is also on a different level of the main dining room as well.

I like traditional because the waiter understands what you like and don't like, what drinks to have at the table when you get there, whether your chatty or not, really fun experience and a relationship for the 7 days. MTD does not envolve that, but some like that. We always go on a cruise with the same family, have a table of 8, and just enjoy having the traditional time (5:30). That way, they know to have my kids "shirley temples" ready when they get there, my son always has his meat cut, so the waiter always knows the routine.

I say splurg one night on either Chops or Portofino. Especially since you pay for it before you cruise, you never really don't care on cruise night because it is already paid. I think IT IS a step up from the main dining room and Chops is worth if you like steaks!!!! Just my $0.02 cents!!!

Unless things have changed, you can order the Chops Filet off the main dining room menu for a surcharge. This works out great for DH and I as we order one filet and have the waiter split it, and this goes great with some of the seafood entrees for a surf and turf. I am not sure of the price but it is less than the Chops surcharge. Our travel group includes children so better for us to order the filet and stick with eating at our traditional dining table.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I have read so many things about not going outside of the gated areas of Falmouth. We will be in Falmouth on our 20th anniversary and we were hoping to find a small church to renew our vowels. Should we nix that idea due to safety? And if not and you know of somewhere please let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Molly, this is just my personal story. Three years ago, we decided to go outside the gates, because I thought it would be at least interesting for kids to see a different side that they see in the US. Thought it would educational.

It was very frightening once we got outside the gates. The number of times that drug dealers and other peddlers were all over us was very numerous. Only other time I felt the same was 2 years ago when we look to venture out of the Belize port.

Unfortunately I believe that Falmouth is very depressed area in Jamaica and the only way I would venture outside of the WALLS around the port would be with an official tour.

If you are wanting to renew your vows and your are also stopping in Grand Cayman, I would do it there. If you are doing it for a reason because you want to do it in Jamaica, then find a bonded driver and company that you can trust and have them find a church for you.

Edited by oracer

Molly, this is just my personal story. Three years ago, we decided to go outside the gates, because I thought it would be at least interesting for kids to see a different side that they see in the US. Thought it would educational.

It was very frightening once we got outside the gates. The number of times that drug dealers and other peddlers were all over us was very numerous. Only other time I felt the same was 2 years ago when we look to venture out of the Belize port.

Unfortunately I believe that Falmouth is very depressed area in Jamaica and the only way I would venture outside of the WALLS around the port would be with an official tour.

If you are wanting to renew your vows and your are also stopping in Grand Cayman, I would do it there. If you are doing it for a reason because you want to do it in Jamaica, then find a bonded driver and company that you can trust and have them find a church for you.

Thank you for that. I appreciate it.

What's the REPLENISH package? I'm Diamond Plus and have never heard of it. :confused:

It is new as of December '13. For $20 a day you get unlimited premium coffee, premium tea, fresh squeezed juice (incl squeeze), non alcoholic cocktails (including frozen but not ice cream/milkshakes), 500ml bottled water, 375 ml sparkling water, soda with cup. Coffee does not include Starbucks on Oasis/allure but does include Starbucks drinks on freedom since it's in cafe promenade. Did read it was tall size hot and grande cold drinks but you can order more than 1. The $20/day includes gratuity and not all have to buy in the stateroom.

It is new as of December '13. For $20 a day you get unlimited premium coffee, premium tea, fresh squeezed juice (incl squeeze), non alcoholic cocktails (including frozen but not ice cream/milkshakes), 500ml bottled water, 375 ml sparkling water, soda with cup. Coffee does not include Starbucks on Oasis/allure but does include Starbucks drinks on freedom since it's in cafe promenade. Did read it was tall size hot and grande cold drinks but you can order more than 1. The $20/day includes gratuity and not all have to buy in the stateroom.

Did you read this somewhere "official" from RCI, or on CC? DD *LOVES* Starbucks and if it's included, that takes care of any lasting doubts I have of getting the replenishment package.

It was on Cruise Critic from someone off the Freedom last week. I have read it a few times in various reviews. The RC official line is not valid at Starbucks. But it's Cafe Promenade, not an official Starbucks. Reasoning being that's the only place to get specialty coffees outside of MDR on the Freedom.

So I got it and my Dad got it. I saw a picture of the menu and looks like they have white mochas, caramel macchiatos, cafe americano, latte... Could barely read it but that was enough for me. We canceled our soda packages and upgraded.

It was $12.52 more than the soda package. If I have 3-4 of these drinks it will work. I think I will about break even. It will be nice not to have to sign slips for every little thing and will encourage me to drink more water and less soda.

Edited by EviesCruisin

FOS western last week if you booked Portofinos on board there was no fee.

We did MTD. you can request to stay at the same table with the same waiter all week.

Formal nights are 2 and 5

Ok I'm confused, do you pay a fee or for the food in the specialty restaurants? Or both? We didn't go to any last time.