Just off Freedom of the Seas!

Yes, you are supposed to pay a premium fee per person for Chops ($30 per person) and Portofino ($25 per person). I would be interested to understand why copi2boys was able to get Portofino for "free" last week on the western leg of the cruise.

I am aware that some Travel Agents do get passes for their customers to do a specialty restaurant, so maybe it was just a perk for signing with that travel agency. Ours is giving us $250 in OBC, so I guess you can say that we could go to the Specialty Restaurants 8x's without paying, but the $250 usually takes care of our bar tab. :)

We were on the Western FOS last week as well and ate at Chops two nights (30.00 up charge each) and Portifionos one night (25.00 up charge each).

It wouldn't make sense for them not to apply an up charge because then it wouldn't be a speciality restaurant and everyone would be going there instead of the MDR. :eek:

FOS western last week if you booked Portofinos on board there was no fee.

We did MTD. you can request to stay at the same table with the same waiter all week.

Formal nights are 2 and 5

Please explain about "if you booked Portofinos on board there was no fee"? Exactly how did that work.

Thanks

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

More questions...

1) Are there any mounted binoculars? Oasis had some on the "secret" deck 14 forward. They're like what you'd see at the top of the Empire State Building, but free. lol

2) Are there "bed placement" issues like on Oasis and Allure? As far as whether (in a balcony cabin) the bed is closer to the balcony or to the closet? If so, is there a way to tell which one you're going to get?

Were there any escargot sightings on recent FOS cruises?

Also, have the Texas Tenors been on multiple cruises, or just the one?

The cruise director told us that this was a one time special appearance by the Texas Tenors. They were fantastic! The Tenors mentioned at their show that they were doing a special cruise on Royal Carribbean in 2015! So you can book the cruise to sail with them!

My husband had escargot in the main dining room one night. It was an appetizer that was offered and was a small portion in some kind is sauce. He said it was just ok.

Edited by fox

Oracer, thank you for letting me know the late dining in the MDR is at 7:30. I had told my friend it was at 8:30. She will be glad to know this. On the other ships I have been on, normally it is 8:00 or 8:30.

It was mentioned about "staying" within the Falmouth gates. Where are the gates, and how do we know if were going out of them? Is there a fence or something attached to them so we know were going out of them?

I am going on with some friends for the Nov. 30th Freedom cruise. We are going to have 4-6 guys that are 22-25 years old. Do you think there will be a good amount of people our age?

I wouldn't be real hopeful for tons of singles, unless a few colleges are already on winter break, and I think this is a bit early. But who knows - any cruise better than staying home!

Oracer, thank you for letting me know the late dining in the MDR is at 7:30. I had told my friend it was at 8:30. She will be glad to know this. On the other ships I have been on, normally it is 8:00 or 8:30.

It was mentioned about "staying" within the Falmouth gates. Where are the gates, and how do we know if were going out of them? Is there a fence or something attached to them so we know were going out of them?

Oh you'll know, fenced in area with only 1-2 ways out, unless you scale the 8 ft fence

We've sailed Freedom 3 times and we love her. For MTD, we always asked to be with the same wait staff. Once you sit with them one time, they remember you just as if you were in standard dining. Our staff always remembered by younger son likes a diet coke, I like iced tea, mom likes a club soda and who likes which type of bread.

I was not aware that they were allowing the Starbucks drinks with the replenish package on Freedom. We are planning on sailing Allure in August and since that is not included, I'm not sure it's going to be worth it to me to purchase one just for the occasional iced skinny latte I like.

I was not aware that they were allowing the Starbucks drinks with the replenish package on Freedom. We are planning on sailing Allure in August and since that is not included, I'm not sure it's going to be worth it to me to purchase one just for the occasional iced skinny latte I like.

You have to spend 12.52 above a soda package. I wouldn't break even on the Allure without the Sbux being covered. I'd bring my Starbucks gold card and get my stars. Unless you drink a lot of bottled water, juice or frozen cocktails (~4/day) in addition to 3 sodas...I think I'd skip the replenish.

We had my time dining but reserved same time each night and will request same servers. Glad to hear they remember preferences etc. we'd have liked the early traditional but it was taken, so that's nice to hear.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Molly, this is just my personal story. Three years ago, we decided to go outside the gates, because I thought it would be at least interesting for kids to see a different side that they see in the US. Thought it would educational.

It was very frightening once we got outside the gates. The number of times that drug dealers and other peddlers were all over us was very numerous. Only other time I felt the same was 2 years ago when we look to venture out of the Belize port.

Unfortunately I believe that Falmouth is very depressed area in Jamaica and the only way I would venture outside of the WALLS around the port would be with an official tour.

If you are wanting to renew your vows and your are also stopping in Grand Cayman, I would do it there. If you are doing it for a reason because you want to do it in Jamaica, then find a bonded driver and company that you can trust and have them find a church for you.

I spent a week in Jamaica at an all inclusive resort. Beautiful resort, great beach, but as soon as you walked outside the gates, or close to the gates, you were bombarded with "vendors" selling everything from bracelets to drugs. The worse part was swimming out to the tanning floats. Again, "vendors" in small boats, sometimes young children and families, were begging and selling the same types of items. So sad. They were relentless. We did an excursion to Dunns River Falls. OMG, they drive like total maniacs. I could go on and on. I would highly recommend staying inside.

I would recommend a flight after 12pm just to account for any delays. As for hotels, near the port you have the radisson and the county inn & suites. Down the road in cocoa beach you have a dozen different hotels. We have personally stayed in the Hampton Inn and enjoyed it. We are going to try out the Comfort Inn this year and give it a shot.

It was on Cruise Critic from someone off the Freedom last week. I have read it a few times in various reviews. The RC official line is not valid at Starbucks. But it's Cafe Promenade, not an official Starbucks. Reasoning being that's the only place to get specialty coffees outside of MDR on the Freedom.

We just disembarked on the 2nd and we got any espresso-type drink we ordered included with Replenish. Frappucino, latte, mocha...grande iced or hot...everything we ordered over the week.

And yes, it's not A Starbucks. It's Cafe Promenade serving Starbucks (with starbucks cups and even straws). It's not a Starbucks location. So it's included. Because otherwise where would you get "premium coffees"?

Were there any escargot sightings on recent FOS cruises?

Sighted on the menu, but with fine print about availability. People at our table ordered it but got scallops instead. In escargot plates and it looked just like the escargot tablemates on Disney Dream got in October, but it wasn't actually escargot.

I have read so many things about not going outside of the gated areas of Falmouth. We will be in Falmouth on our 20th anniversary and we were hoping to find a small church to renew our vowels. Should we nix that idea due to safety? And if not and you know of somewhere please let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Pat, I'd like to buy a vowel....How about an "O"? Yes, Robinola,

two "O"'s.....

I was wondering what kind of music entertainment they have nightly on Freedom? Looking for some oldies and good dancing music for 50 ish age people. Do any of the clubs have that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the Freedom, you can go to Bolero's and do salsa dancing nightly, you can go to the Crypt and do not "50 year old dancing" :p. One night of the cruise they will have a 70's and 80's day dance/party in the Promenade where they do all disco for about an hour. You have various bars that have a piano player, guitarist, but nothing specific to dancing. Best bet is learn the "twerk" :D.

Freedom does have a nice gym that has a large picture window facing forward, so if you are on the bikes or the stair steps or other machines, you can watch the water and scenery. Freedom has a lot of classes that you can either participate or pay for (boot camps). Also has a boxing ring for those who like that kind of stuff. But very nice equipment and areas.

Steam room in both on the Men's and Women's side and Yes, they are free. You can get the more elaborate steam if you pay for the SPA.

Edited by oracer

Does FOS has a nice gym? and using of the steam room in the men's locker free of charge? Thank you

Oh the gym is huge and nice. I was exhausted on our cruise (for nearly 3 weeks before we were dealing with the nasty "plague" that everyone had) and only used it once (for a Fab Abs class) but we toured it. Wonderful and seemed to have nearly everything you might need.