B2B & Early Departure Questions

Alberta Quilter

Hi All,

I have two cruises booked on the Amsterdam in May. The first is a one day cruise from YVR to SEA and the second is the 14 day Alaska cruise. I have two booking numbers, one for each cruise.

First question is will I have to check in again, in Seattle, for the second cruise? Will we receive a second ship keycard? We may have to change cabins after the first day because I could only book a guarantee for the 1 day cruise. Do they just reprogram the keycard to reflect the new cabin? I've only done a collector's cruise before and we didn't have to do anything special on turnaround day. We would like to get to Pike Place Market in Seattle. Will we be able to do that, or will we be have to hang around the terminal to check in again?

Second question relates to leaving the second cruise early. We requested permission to disembark the ship in Victoria, the day before the Amsterdam returns to Seattle. Our TA sent me an email saying that permission was granted. Do I need that on HAL letterhead, signed by someone at HAL Seattle? I know that I'm supposed to let the Front Desk know, soon after boarding, that I want to disembark early and that I'm supposed to have this letter with me to show the Front Desk, if required.

Would those who have experienced one or the other situations please advise?

Thank you very much!

Hi Alberta Quilter,

We have done a back-to-back like this before, 1 day Vancouver to Seattle and then Seattle to Alaska return on the Westerdam. Shortly after leaving Vancouver we checked with the front desk about getting off the ship when we docked in Seattle, we were told to go to the front desk in the morning and we would be given directions where to get off the ship and about reboarding in the afternoon. The next morning, at the front desk we were directed to a separate disembarkation spot that is set up for crew and entertainers that are leaving the ship. Once we did this we were shown to a separate Customs & Immigration desk located at the front corner of the port building. A quick look at our documents and given instructions to return to same place when we re-board the ship in the afternoon. This worked out very well as it was easy to find, no crowds and very pleasant crew and customs officers. The taxis were just outside the Customs station and it is about a 5 - 10 min ride to Pike Place. Also, reboarding in the afternoon was the same with no wait and directly on to the ship. However, you will be required to do the emergency boat drill again when departing from Seattle (same as when leaving Vancouver). Therefore, be sure to check when you must be back on the ship in Seattle.

We didn't have to change our key cards, the bookings had been linked in the ships system. We also had a guarantee for our 1 night portion but shortly before departure date we received confirmation that our cabin was to be the same for both bookings.

Hope this info is helpful and that you have a wonderful cruise!

kiikii

Thanks, Kiikii, that does help, particularly since you experienced exactly what we are about to experience. I did know about the muster drill; we experienced that on our Collectors Cruise in the Med.

Do you recall if you had to do the online check-in twice, once for each cruise?

Not sure if I remember correctly, but it seems that there have been occasions when, due to weather, the stop in Victoria was cut so short that no one was allowed off the ship.

Maybe others here remember more of the details.

If this happens, you should be ready for alternate arrangements.

Not sure if I remember correctly, but it seems that there have been occasions when, due to weather, the stop in Victoria was cut so short that no one was allowed off the ship.

Maybe others here remember more of the details.

If this happens, you should be ready for alternate arrangements.

Thanks. We are aware that that can happen. We can just take the ferry from Seattle to Victoria to catch the flight home.

Hi Alberta Quilter,

the two cruises were linked in Hal's system and we did the online check in only once.

Enjoy your cruise!

Interesting. I did it twice. Perhaps I should call HAL to get them linked, just to ensure they know we are staying on board for the following cruise.