Theme nights, esp. Victoriana Ball

jac1976

Do people usually get dressed up in theme for the theme nights? We are cruising the Norwegian Fjords this coming summer and have 3 formal nights- Black and White, Masquerade, and Victoriana. The Victoriana Ball just happens to fall on my birthday and I think it would be so much fun to dress up in the Victorian theme. Would I be out of place? Also, we are in the Queens Grill- will we miss out on the "feel" of the theme nights because we are in a smaller dining room?

Thanks!

Do people usually get dressed up in theme for the theme nights? We are cruising the Norwegian Fjords this coming summer and have 3 formal nights- Black and White, Masquerade, and Victoriana. The Victoriana Ball just happens to fall on my birthday and I think it would be so much fun to dress up in the Victorian theme. Would I be out of place? Also, we are in the Queens Grill- will we miss out on the "feel" of the theme nights because we are in a smaller dining room?

Thanks!

jac, in case you missed it, Maggie posted some very recent photos of her theme night outfits...see http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1968048&page=9 Post #177

• 5 months later...

A helpful thread, great pictures of Maggie, thanks.

I was toying with trying to make my full skirted ballgown into a Victorian costume by making a blouse to wear until I wanted to dance and it got too hot. Still think I may, If I get time, but am aware that I will be in the minority, won't be the first time for that though.

Can anyone tell me how cool it gets in the evenings? I'm guessing there will be some air-con on due to the men having to wear jackets, will I need a wrap in July/August or is it an option (I am a cold mortal by nature).

I was toying with trying to make my full skirted ballgown into a Victorian costume by making a blouse to wear until I wanted to dance and it got too hot. Still think I may, If I get time, but am aware that I will be in the minority, won't be the first time for that though.

Can anyone tell me how cool it gets in the evenings? I'm guessing there will be some air-con on due to the men having to wear jackets, will I need a wrap in July/August or is it an option (I am a cold mortal by nature).

Returned 2 weeks ago from fjords / Iceland cruise.

We had several formal nights and people really dressed up for the occasions. Gentlemen nearly all in tux, even a few tail coats. 'Just" dark suits were in the minority.

Ladies wore nice gowns, some quite elaborate. Several "national dresses" such as saris, some Arabic bling, one or two Austrian / German Dirndl dresses.

However we could not see anyone dressed in "costumes" as such. (Dressing up like for a Shakespeare play etc). Not more than a hand full people wore any kind of mask for the Maskerade ball. No top hats to be seen for the Royal Ascot ball.

The atmosphere in the dining rooms is "festive" with slightly classier menus on the formal nights. The main opportunity to show your fineries is before and after dinner, just promenading around the ship and bars. Thankfully no hard selling by the photographers!

:-)

Climate wise, we had some very warm days in Norway. Just about everybody ditched their jumpers and jackets.

A few cool days around the 8 to 12 degrees mark. Some wet and windy days as well, especially in Iceland. Suggest you pack stuff you can wear in layers and definately something water proof. If you are feeling the cold, pack a light scarf and Beanie hat, perhaps gloves. We were happy to have all of the above.

- but don't go as far as packing for a ski trip! :-)

Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'miss out on the 'feel' of the theme nights' but if you mean does the theme extend to the QG restaurant, then the answer is a definite no. Apart from the fact most of the gentlemen will be in black tie [but not all so no pressure] and the ladies in evening wear [not all long dresses by the way] and the Maître d' in tails, the 'feel' will be the similar to every other night. Charming, elegant and rather 'nice'.

We were in the fjords last July and it was a wonderful trip. Enjoy.

I take a cashmere wrap for walking on deck at night time. Perfectly adequate and it works for inside too on the rare occasions I might need it. There is air-con and it can be coolish, there again, depending where your table is in the restaurant, the sun can make things almost hot. Be prepared!!!

On our fjords cruise on Queen Elizabeth, there was a couple who really did dress the part on themed nights. They looked magnificent on the Elizabethan (I think) night and many people took photos of them as they arrived suitably late in the MDR. They were the only ones who bothered for that night, although some wore masks for the masquerade themed evening and a lot wore red, white and blue and waved little union flags for the London themed evening.