please help with hotel in amsterdam

mike-c52

we will be doing the celebrity arctic circle cruise on constellation on june 14. we are planning on staying 2 nights pre cruise in Amsterdam. could anyone offer advice on a reasonable hotel centrally located so we can walk to museums, restaurants, and just generally sight see. Amsterdam seems to be broken into areas and there are so many hotels, some of which are very expensive, that it is a bit daunting.

We just chose a B@B because thats what we prefer and booked with one that is the best rated on Tripadvisor so it kinda depends what you like in accommodations I think because Amsterdam is so easy to get around in by way of local transportation.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233

Try posting here, this is the forum for Northern European ports of call including Amsterdam. Usually there are a lot of hotel suggestions, restaurants to try, and so on for cruisers visiting or embarking from these ports. Your roll call would also be a good source.

we will be doing the celebrity arctic circle cruise on constellation on june 14. we are planning on staying 2 nights pre cruise in Amsterdam. could anyone offer advice on a reasonable hotel centrally located so we can walk to museums, restaurants, and just generally sight see. Amsterdam seems to be broken into areas and there are so many hotels, some of which are very expensive, that it is a bit daunting.

There are many quaint and vertical canal hotels. Fun and we love them, however, they aren't always luggage friendly if you are going on a cruise. The farther you go from the city center, the cheaper and larger the hotels.

I would look first at Hotwire and check out the map of zones. You can get a 4****star hotel in the town center for less than $200 a night. Farther out you can stay in a 4**** for less than $100.

Each little canal hotel will have their own website and prices will be in Euros, so keep that in mind. Not unusual to pay 120 Euros for a room 8' X 10' with just a double bed and a stair case more ladder than steps. But you also get that Dutch Amsterdam feel.:)

Good Luck,

Kel:)

Edited by kelmac

Just a suggestion Mike. My bet would to look at the Express Deals for your two nights in Amsterdam on Priceline. Right now it appears that there are 4 star hotels in both Central Canal and City Center, both locations in Amsterdam that are central. The deals there right now seem to range from $95 for Central Canal four star to $175 for City Center four star. You can also bet on hotels on that site, but that's rather tricky. We faced the same problem for our cruise in April and refused to pay the steep $200 or more a night fees. Problem with any deals through them or other sites is that you don't know what hotel you'll get until after you pay. It seems that four and five star hotels there soemtimes seem to be 3.5 to 4.5 stars. Also google bidding on 4 star in Amsterdam and see what others have to say. Often the winning bids and Express deals are the NH hotels in those two areas. I would onoly choose those two locations: Central Canal and City Centre.

Hi, last Sept. we stayed at the Doubletree hotel, it is next to Central Station, 10 min. walk to the cruise terminal, next to canal tour boats and lots of interesting places. while the lobby area of the hotel is very nice, the rooms are more like dorm rooms with a new bathroom. I think we paid 130 euro per night.

We're staying in Amsterdam post-cruise after the TA. I looked at hotels, considered the amount of luggage we will have, and factored in the prices/locations of hotels/B&B's, and decided to stay at the Hampton Inn at the airport for only 75 Euro per night. They have shuttle service to/from the airport, and figured it would be easier/cheaper to take the short train ride into Central Amsterdam from the airport.

One has to be careful in Amsterdam as they can fill their hotels without too much problem as it is such a popular centre. The hotels can be quirky if you chose a smaller one, and they are arranged on the typical tall, narrow Durch houses. (Do not always presume there will be a lift)The centre of the city is also not where the museums are. Personally I like to stay nearer Centraal Station and to take trams etc to where I want to be. The public transport is really good and of course there are the canal boat taxis where you can buy a day ticket and hop on and off. It is a good walkable city as it is arranged in ever increasing perimeters around the 3 "rings" of main canals.

I too would say use the online hotel sites but read reviews etc and do your homework before booking. Personally I have always liked the Victoria hotel across from Central Station ... but had a lovely room overlooking the Singel canal at Der Singel at a much cheaper rate.

This is a 3 1/2 star hotel on Hotwire for your dates. It's in the western Canal area called Jordaan. At $77 a night I would jump on it.

http://www.hotwire.com

$77

per night

Canal Belt West - Jordaan area hotel

 100% recommended

Free Internet, Business Center and more ...

64%

Good Luck,

Kel:)

Edited by kelmac

I love Amsterdam. Been there 5 times and want to return. Museums are fantastic. Kuckenhoff Gardens is a must if you go in the spring.Try to stay in the Dam Sq. area. It is the most central location for walking and/or taking the trams. Staying near Central Station is not great for seeing the local sights. There are many hotels in the area. I have stayed at the Grand Krasnapolsky and the Swiss Hotel. Both nice. Prefer the Swiss for service. Swiss hotels are wonderful. Join their loyalty club free and get lots of perks. We got an upgrade to a large room, chocolate covered strawberries, wine and cheese, and free breakfast.

Moevenpick worked out well for us. Next to pier, very good hotel, good breakfast, close to Central station (free shuttle) so you could take train from airport and get around City. Good thing - morning of departure on our Baltic Cruise, rolled our luggage down the sidewalk about 200 feet to quick drop off. Then continued our tour of the City until we returned to formal cruise check in at about 2 or so. Our daughter, the true travel nut, said I made a good choice. Shopping for price is nice, but for what you spend on the cruise, if you have to spend an extra 50 a night for a good hotel so close to the pier and where you need to be, just do it. Just my advice.

We are staying at The Toren. It's near everything and around the block from the Anne Frank House. http://www.thetoren.nl/

I've stayed at The Toren. It is in a great location, no doubt. However, I didn't like the "hotel." First, since it's in a canal row "home," it's very narrow and be prepared to trudge up a couple flights of stairs with your luggage. The "hotel" reminded me of a brothel - all red and black. The staff was nice, though. I've stayed in a lot of small rooms in my life but the rooms at The Toren take the cake. Barely enough room for me and my luggage. Also, don't get a room over their restaurant kitchen. Door slamming and banging woke me up every morning. Again - great location - and that worth a lot.

We stayed at Double Tree Hilton by Amsterdam. Good location (5-10 min walk from Central Station) and 10 min by taxi to cruise port, near central area, new hotel with excellent services and good facilities), reasonable price.