Xunantunich or Altun Ha/River Wallace - Please Help!

TMS9539

I have read tons of posts about these two excursions, and I still can't make up my mind. My first choice would be Lamanai, but that is not offered by Carnival and I am not brave enough to go with an independent operator in Belize (too afraid of missing the boat).

So, here's my dilemma - I think I'd prefer Xunantunich for the actual ruins, but I'd also really like to see some of the jungle, and hopefully wildlife - so that makes me think Altun Ha would be a better choice because of the boat ride. Can anyone give me any insight on this? Will we see some of the jungle and/or wildlife going to Xunantunich? Are the ruins at Altun Ha impressive? I keep going back and forth and back and forth.

I've never seen any Mayan ruins, so I'll probably be impressed no matter what. (But I have been to Rome... ruins galore there!)

We have no other plans for Belize so the longer time for Xunantunich is not a factor in our decision.

Thanks.

TMS...

The trip to Xunantunich is via bus along the highway, through some small towns. Closest to "jungle" you'll get is the view from the top of the main temple. But very impressive. You do get a short ride across a small river via hand cranked ferry. And if they still stop in San Ignacio for lunch, it's a good feed.

Seeing any wild life via River Wallace, on the other hand, is a catch as catch can. Some have seen many animals, most see very few. If it's a bit hot might be a bit buggy as the boat is open. But the ruins are very very nice.

If you'd rather be outside most of the time and still have some time to shop or grab a cold one before catching the tender, do Altun Ha. If you desire a lot more comfort via a bus ride, don't want to waste time around the pier, go Xunantunich.

We did the Altum Ha/River Wallace tour. Enjoyed it. As far as animals go, we saw plenty of iguanas, mosquito bats, termite nests and alligators (or crocs, can't remember which one). We did not see any howler monkeys.

We did see a manatee's nose and a dolphin jumped out of the water a few times for us before speeding back to port.

Good information. My boyfriend and I also want to see some of the ruins. Having trouble finding where to book excursions besides the ones through the ship.

If I remember correctly, someone on our roll call booked a non ship ruins excursion with Island marketing. They were pleased.

None of the private ones offer the River Wallace part.

• 2 weeks later...

Altun Ha isn't really much as far as ruins to see. I've seen much better sites with a lot more info in many other places. River Wallace can be full of wild life or not so much.

Cave tubing is fun.

Be sure to have enough time to get back to the ship if you don't use the cruise line tour.