Ship opinions...

phil978

Hello...I'm trying to decide on a last minute cruise in March....either the Eurodam (Holland America) or the Silhouette (Celebrity) and would like some input/feedback. We've been on 3 Celebrity Cruises, and 2 Royal Carribbean but no Holland America.

Has anyone been on either of these ships? Looking to relax, maybe do the shows, probably stay on board most ports. Don't want a lot of kids around (wish there were 21+ cruises!) and don't want wandering happy cruise freaks trying to get you to join in on activities. (yes, I need a vacation, can you tell???)

Thanks in advance. We're 47 and a young 54, males, thats like to spa, workout, etc.

Edited by phil978

Hello...I'm trying to decide on a last minute cruise in March....either the Eurodam (Holland America) or the Silhouette (Celebrity) and would like some input/feedback. We've been on 3 Celebrity Cruises, and 2 Royal Carribbean but no Holland America.

Has anyone been on either of these ships? Looking to relax, maybe do the shows, probably stay on board most ports. Don't want a lot of kids around (wish there were 21+ cruises!) and don't want wandering happy cruise freaks trying to get you to join in on activities. (yes, I need a vacation, can you tell???)

Thanks in advance. We're 47 and a young 54, males, thats like to spa, workout, etc.

I've been on both Celebrity and HAL. IMO I prefer Celebrity and if I had to pick between Celebrity and HAL I'd pick Celebrity. Nothing wrong with HAL, but you should go with what you know and like unless you really want to try something new. Both HAL and Celebrity fit what you are looking for. You could try HAL, but no one here could tell you whether or not you'd like HAL or not. It just way too subjective based on everyone's expectation of what a cruise should be for them. You should read as many reviews for each ship and go with your gut feeling. Picking the right ship is more of an art form then strict science.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=594

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=405

We have been on both Eurodam and Eclipse ( sister of Sil) and think the Celebrity "S" class ships win by a mile. In fact we are doing the Sil this March as well...Everything else is comparable in terms of service, food, on board atmosphere, etc. IMHO.

Edited by tompeter

I too have sailed both HAL and Celebrity. I am partial to Holland America, in particular the Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam, which are their newest ships. My partner and I love the classy, adult-oriented ship with great service and accommodations. Our trip this month on the N. A. was great and there were essentially no kids aboard! HAL may have older avg age but that gives us more deck space, better late show seats, and room to breathe! Either line will be a good time, just my preference for HAL.

We are big HAL fans. If you travel when school is in session you rarely see kids.

Much older and more traveled clientele for the most part. We cruise to be together and enjoy the ship and the sea. HAL ships are quite "traditional" with lots of outside space, wrap around Promenades, many lounges and public areas. The Crows Nest on top is like no other- I can sit up there all day.

We got married last year on a HAL ship and sailed to Alaska. During our cruise many many crew greeted us with "It's the honeymooners- congratulations!"

They don't make overhead announcements all day about drink specials and bingo. We can do as much or as little as we want.

The crew on HAL are amazing. We'd have a drink at a bar and two nights later they would greet us by name.

Celebrity and HAL each have loyal fans. We weren't fond of Celebrity- didn't feel the warmth we feel on HAL

Another vote here for the Celebrity Solstice class - we have sailed on both the Eclipse and Equinox, sister ships to the Silhouette and love this class. It's an individual's opinion as to service standards, we much prefer Celebrity over HAL, also X's passenger demographics skew younger (well, slightly).

We had done the Equinox a few years back out of Venice and absolutely loved it. We ended up in a suite at the back of the ship and had our own semi-private butler. It was so much fun. We haven't done HA but hear good things about her. In saying that, we continue to meet fantastic people on any line we do but I think I'd like the eye candy on a typically younger cruise.

Did HAL one time where the average age was probably in the 70's. I like to go to the entertainment venues after dinner (2nd seating) but found them to be empty of fellow pax. I suppose that reflects the average age aboard. There were no kids of course on board. The ship was smaller and more elegant than what we had been on. I think I will wait a few more decades before trying it again.

FWIW, one of my favorite ships is the Eurodam. I have been on Celebrity, but not an S-class ship (I was on the Summit). I thought Holland America was a small step above Celebrity, mainly based on some little things, like bathtub as well as a shower in the bathroom, cool towels when coming back from a tour, beautiful décor and art. Nothing at all wrong with Celebrity (I'm doing an Alaska cruise on Celebrity Solstice later this year), but I was particularly impressed with Holland America (also, it had a GLBT meeting hosted by a ship's officer, the first time I've been to a Friend of Dorothy meeting that was hosted by the ship).