I need help - FLL/Port Everglades car rental

jimbug

Hi guys,

I've got a question regarding pre-cruise car rental at the FLL airport or Port Everglades. (I'm flying in and staying in FLL Beach for 2 days before the cruise) The cheapest rental agency at the actual airport is through Dollar for an intermediate car...but I can't find anywhere if they will have a shuttle to the pier or not after I turn in the car.

Enterprise has a location closer to Port Everglades, and they are much, much cheaper, even for a full-size car (like $40 difference). However, they do not pick up from the airport and their website states they do not take passengers from the rental agency to the pier (only from pier to agency). So, financially it would be totally worth it to rent from Enterprise near the port, rather than at the airport with Dollar, but would it be easy to find a cab at the Enterprise agency on 6th St.? It looks as though it's quite near Port Everglades, but not walking distance. Hopefully someone who has been here can help.

Thanks for your suggestions!

We rented through Budget at the airport and then dropped off the car at their 17th Street location which is directly across the street from the Renaissance Hotel. This location does have free shuttle service to the pier then. The wait was about 20 minutes.

roe2ship, Thanks for your information. Sadly, I will only be 24 years old at that time, and Budget happens to be the *only* car rental agency that won't let under-25 rent. :(

Thanks, though!

Update: I called the Enterprise location on 6th St. (1 mile from Port Everglades) The lady assured me that even though their website says they do not take pax to pier, that they really do. So, I'm gonna give them a try - she also assured me cabs were readily available, so Enterprise, it is!

Anyone do the reverse? Our flight doesn't leave until 6:30 after the cruise and I was thinking of renting a car for the day. Are there rental companies that will pick you up at the port or that are nearby?

We are in the same situation. Since the rental companies are at one big location now, there is some confusion with this question. For instance, The Hertz Downtown site will pick you up at the cruise port, but the Hertz airport location will not. They said I had two choices - take a cab to the airport Hertz or wait for the shuttle to pick up and drive you to the Downtown location. I am going with the shuttle, and they said if I call them a week ahead, they will be sure to have the vehicle I want waiting for me.

Have rented from both Dollar and Enterprise in FLL before. Dollar seems to have much more frequent shuttles between agency and pier and to the airport. Enterprise really ticked me off. I called them when we were disembarking last Oct. in FLL and they said they'd be there in 20 mins. An hour later I called them and they took another half hour to come. Then we waited another hour for them to clean and get a car ready for us. Their location on 6th is very small unlike Dollar. Keep checking rates. They change frequently.

Archived