how to find a good TA

2red4u

This is our first cruise and I am a bit overwhelmed. I know where we want to go and when, but after that it all goes over my head. I've read many threads about pro's and con's of booking DIY vs using a TA. I have found tons of TA's on the Internet but how do I know if they are any good or even legitimate? Obviously I'm looking for the best price and the most OBC, but it all seems the same. ANy words of wisdom for this future cruiser?

Unless it's a group booking, the cruise price will be the same. It will be the price posted at that moment on NCL's web site. For us, the advantage of booking through a TA is that I do ask for some OBC to be given us through her company. It's not much, but every bit helps. We do this. I do all my own research, find the cruise we want, find the cabin that we want, and if the price is what I like, I call my TA with all this info. She then calls NCL and books it for us. I also buy travel insurance that her company offers. I then monitor the cruise proce as final payment approaches. If it goes down, I notify my TA and she gets NCL to adjust it or re book at the new lower price. If after final payment, I may, may ask my TA to see if NCL will upgrade our room category if appropriate. I realize I do most of the TA's work for her, but I enjoy that and it makes the cruise more exciting for us to anticipate. If you do try a TA, first insure that that there will be no fees, cancellation, changes, etc charged you by the TA. For them, it should be nothing more than commission from NCL. Nothing from you.

And I might add, whatever questions you have regarding cabin selection, ship, particular cruise, just ask on here. You will quickly become more specifically knowledgeable about cruise selection than most TAs.

Edited by roger001

I've been with my TA for years. I found her online. She is with a big agency, so I get the benefit of booking "group" rates often. It's a shame we can't give recommendations on this board. You want to check with the BBB, and just do an internet search of the company before booking with them. You should never book with a company that charges a fee to change things, or to cancel.

Thank y'all it's kinda nerve wracking doing business online for me. I didn't even think to check with the BBB. I'm going to have lots of questions coming up. Hope no one minds schooling a newbie.

BBB is a business that I can pay $$$ to yearly, to give me high ratings.

If I get bad reviews, I can challenge the reviews and have them removed, to keep high ratings.

When I see businesses state that they are BBB rated, I give them an extra eye of suspicion, as it becomes a marketing gimmick.

They are the last place I would check to verify any business.

Hate to sink this idea, do a google search for the company you are considering using, and see if there are complaints about them.

My first 14 cruises I booked myself, found so much info here on CC and by just scouring the website of whatever cruise line I was going on (did my first 4 cruises on NCL.) Cruise # 15 coming up I booked myself again but decided to check the prices of the TA’s listed here on CC under “Find a Cruise.” Sure enough, one of them was able to save me over $200, which was significant since I usually travel solo and get stuck with 2x the fare. So I transferred my booking over to one of the TA’s offering cheap cruises hint hint. Plus this particular agency is a premier NCL partner according to both NCL and the TA’s website.

I am assuming the reason I was able to get a price reduction was the TA booked a block of rooms at an earlier date when the price was lower, or else they kicked in their rebate amount. I retained my NCL OBC, but the only thing I really got extra from the TA was they are supposed to give me up to $300 cash back AFTER the cruise when I send them my on board expenses. But mainly I did it just to save the $200. So far I haven’t wanted to change anything as I picked a specific room so I’m not worried about missing an upgrade offer or wanting to make any changes to my booking. Otherwise I would not have transferred my booking so I could retain the ability to make instant changes myself through NCL.

The only thing I have had to contact my TA for was to arrange an NCL transfer for me. For some reason I couldn’t do that after I transferred the booking; however, I still can book excursions and other activities through the NCL site. Final payment was made through the TA’s website and NCL got it a day later.

I agree with roger001, do all your research first and maybe even go ahead and book with NCL, you can always transfer to a TA within 60 days of the original booking. Just make sure beforehand that you get to keep whatever offers came with your NCL booking. If your TA cancels and rebooks you, you might lose them (although you may be ahead with what the TA offers.) But if you do a TRANSFER, you should keep NCL’s goodies plus whatever your TA offers. I am getting triple points on my crossing because of a special Insider offer plus more than 9 months in advance, so I made sure they didn’t cancel and rebook it. As others have said on previous threads, make sure whatever TA you pick won't charge you a fee every time you want to make a change or even cancel.

Thank y'all it's kinda nerve wracking doing business online for me. I didn't even think to check with the BBB. I'm going to have lots of questions coming up. Hope no one minds schooling a newbie.

Welcome to Cruise Critic 2red4u

Ask away someone will have the answers you need.

Is there still a real, live TA in your town or nearby? Sounds like you'd be more comfortable dealing with it all in person.

This is our first cruise and I am a bit overwhelmed. I know where we want to go and when, but after that it all goes over my head. I've read many threads about pro's and con's of booking DIY vs using a TA. I have found tons of TA's on the Internet but how do I know if they are any good or even legitimate? Obviously I'm looking for the best price and the most OBC, but it all seems the same. ANy words of wisdom for this future cruiser?

Joint the meet/mingle, then when on the ship you will be able to ask you new found friends who they consider to be the best TA, and take it from there. Use the first cruise m/m as a fact and new friends finding mission. Happy cruising;)