"You wore flip-flops to the White House!!??"

Oh please, the flip flop girls are only selling their flips on ebay because they can and are trying to redeem a little credibility by donating it to a good cause...It still bothers me that the coach did not take one look at them before they boarded the bus for the white house and say...."ladies...what are you thinking, go change you shoes..." Sissy

Yup, sounds like someone with some knowledge of PR stepped in and played Spin Doctor in order to help with some damage control.

Jane

the flip flop girls who embarassed you so much are selling their flip flops on ebay to raise funds for a cancer patient. seems as much as they digust you with the flip flops these girls show their real character by doing something good for someone in need. we need to give more credit to the young people in our country than to belittle them over some stupid flip flops.

Nope sounds to much like a PR spin as Jane said. First if there was any question that some people would make poor clothing choices then the coach should have sent a memo as to the dress code. I also don't buy the arguement that A. the parents have no control over what their kids wear. Yes they can guide etc but there comes a point where in my opinion that parents can and should dictate what their child should wear. Of course growing up you are exploring your individual tastes but everything is within boundries that parents set.

The biggest issues that I see quite often is everyone wants everything to confirm to their individualism in every situation. I see often see people come to interviews dressed in bare legs, casual skirts colored hair not found on any human, pierced body parts (tongue piercings are particularly distracting) I work for a financial services company and sorry none of the above is proper attire. Depending on where you work you can dress more casually but you still shouldn't come in sloppy with wife beaters etc. I have a friend that works in a much more casual setting but still always looks great and professional

. . . No matter if the flips cost $5 from Old Navy or $600 from Manolo, they are not appropriate for jobs (unless you're a lifeguard), funerals, or visits to the White House.

EXACTLY!!!

For a visit to the White House, one would think that common sense would prevail. On cruise ships there is a written dress code and there are still those who interpret it as they wish...trying to justify wearing jeans, when it clearly states no jeans in the dining room. These girls made a big fashion no no and got caught....big time...it was such a fashion blunder that even the press made it a big deal. I am so glad that my daughters are past that age now. Sissy

What is the difference between a sandal and a flip flop? Are there open back, between the big toe and "pointer toe", open toe footwear that would be appropriate for this occasion or should toes be covered when meeting the president? I was in a store today that was selling high, wedge flip flops with tiny seed beads sewn onto the strap with and a fringe of beads along hanging off toward the toes. Very cute and dressy to go with a fun sundress but they're still flip flops to me. Would there still be a flap if these gals had chosen those over the Old Navy, just got out of the shower and didn't want foot fungus type? Just curious.

I think this is all highly amusing but I'm glad that something positive is coming of this with the sale of the flip flops for charity. Too bad they didn't do that with the infamous blue dress that was worn on a visit to the White House during the Clinton administration. Now THAT was something that truly brought the sense of propriety in the White House to an all time low.

Archived