"You wore flip-flops to the White House!!??"

Not really cruise related, but more a comment on dressing appropriately for the occasion, something we beat to death around here often. :D Posting this more because I thought it was funny and thoughtful.

I don't have much more to add, that "Manolo" hasn't already stated very well on his own. "Flipping and Flopping in the House of Whiteness" :eek:

I'm embarrassed for us twenty-somethings after reading this :o ....I'm on my way to law school...and I know that flip flops go to the mall and the library to study but not to the 5 star restaurant, the interviews, or the job :eek: (just thinking about what the attorneys would think of their "attorney-in-training" wearing flip flops makes me shudder, lol). Guess my mama taught me a little something too....the comments were funny though....thanks for sharing :)

Hi girls, I saw this in the news over the past few days.

I have always thought of myself as a very open-minded person. But I must

say, I would think one would wear SHOES if one is invited to the White House.

Am I the only one who thinks this???

I was shopping the other day and found a pair of flip-flops for $525. My husband wanted to see what they looked like so if he ever saw them on a woman he would be impressed.

The mothers of those girls must be mortified! I personally don't like the feeling of flip flops, I prefer slides. I don't care how much someone paid for them. It was still in bad taste. They should have had the flip floppers in the back row. Just my opinion.

Hi girls, I saw this in the news over the past few days.

No you're not alone Lois.

It's shows total lack of class to wear a pair of flip-flops to the White House after being invited there for a ceremony and to meet the President. Someone else posted that the parents of some of these girls must be mortified. I don't think so. I'm sure they helped select what their DD's would wear. The parents must be the same type that would wear shorts and tee's to formal night on a ship. There's no sense of right and wrong, there's no sense of being appropriately dressed. It's the dumbing down of America and it's sad.

Hi

Nope. If I was invited to the white house not only would I wear shoes but I'd put on hose :) .

I like flip flops to the beach to stroll around in. But not to work, restaurants beyond the coffee shop etc. I see people at work who feel because they are leather thongs they are ok for work. I don't think so :mad: (but these are the same gals who lament they can't seem to get promoted. If they keep this up we will go back to business attire (hich I don't necessarily have a problem with) since some people don't have a clue.

I'm in my early thirties and if my disgraced my mom/family/friends I would rue the day

The sad thing is that it just wasn't one girl... I guess it was the whole team who wore flip flops.

Now, if I were the parent and I knew that my daughter was going to meet the President of the U.S., I would definately have a say in what she wore. I would be checkeing and doublechecking her outfit and rehearsing how she would act!There would be no flip flops whatsoever. It's not like she was going to her prom and wanted to make a 'statement' with her fellow classmates.

She knew to wear a dress and specific jewelry, why the flipflops? I don't understand it.

Yes, the girl should be embarrassed, she knows better, but the parents... what kind of parent would let this happen?

The President was wearing a dark suit and tie, respecting the place and occasion. (If he had invited them to the ranch, it would be different.) I agree with one of the responders on the Manolo link that in addition to wearing shoes, the ladies might have more appropriately worn summer suits, or at least less casual dresses than what they chose. On an interview on the TODAY show, one of the mothers said she was just glad their skirts were long enough (with the implication, I guess, that asking them to wear proper shoes as well would have been too big a battle).

I agree that the flip flops were totally inappropriate, but please remember that these young women are not under their parents thumbs. Parents can guide, suggest, even take the girl shopping for an outfit, but there comes a time when the kids are going to do/wear what they want. I don't think it's fair to blame the Mom's (or Dad's) for the daughters fashion faux paux! I'm sure we have all worn outfits our Mothers did not or would not approve of. The difference here is these girls chose the wrong place to demonstrate their "I'll wear what I want" poor fashion sense. Guess this just sums up how casual our world has become. I cannot imagine not wearing hose and shoes to the White House (or in our case, the Prime Minister's residence) and a conservative dress/skirt/suit. We like to dress for the occasion and hope that our daughter, and our sons, have learned to do that as well. Despite the fact that I don't blame the parents, I would hope that they did have words with their daughters about their choice of clothes. My DD is still young enough for me to insist on certain outfits but that timeframe is rapidly running out - in fact it already has with our DS's. Fortunately, they still ask for help when needing to know what is 'appropriate'.

Let's hope these girls learned something from this.

Debbie

I'm 20...will be 21 in a month...and wear flip-flops all the time. Just can't stand sneakers in the summer and my feet are really narrow so flip-flops stay on my feet. However...I would never wear them to the White House! My rubber flip-flops are fine for around town and my dressy ones are good for work, but for formal occassions, I wear dress shoes and always have. Guess my mom taught me right!

I was recently MOH in my Best friend's wedding and we all wore flip-flops but it was so so hot that day and they looked nice with the dress. If I were the bride, I would have chosen dressier ones for us, but I wasn't. However, when I wear the same dress on the cruise, I'm wearing dress sandals for formal night...not flip-flops!

The President was wearing a dark suit and tie, respecting the place and occasion. (If he had invited them to the ranch, it would be different.) I agree with one of the responders on the Manolo link that in addition to wearing shoes, the ladies might have more appropriately worn summer suits, or at least less casual dresses than what they chose. On an interview on the TODAY show, one of the mothers said she was just glad their skirts were long enough (with the implication, I guess, that asking them to wear proper shoes as well would have been too big a battle).

The guy in the upper left of the picture who appeared to be their coach was also wearing a suit and tie. The girl on the bottom row on the right end was wearing some kind of mini-skirt, which might have been denim.

Allen

I asked my 9 and 7 year old boys what they would wear if they were in this situation and they had two responses. (They play soccer, so I put it in terms of soccer instead.)

1) If I won a soccer tournament, I might wear my soccer outfit to show that I played for the winning team.:D

2) If the soccer uniform was not ok, we would wear a tuxedo.

Even kids this age know that there is a time and a place for certain outfits.

I agree that the flip flops were totally inappropriate, but please remember that these young women are not under their parents thumbs. Parents can guide, suggest, even take the girl shopping for an outfit, but there comes a time when the kids are going to do/wear what they want. I don't think it's fair to blame the Mom's (or Dad's) for the daughters fashion faux paux! I'm sure we have all worn outfits our Mothers did not or would not approve of. The difference here is these girls chose the wrong place to demonstrate their "I'll wear what I want" poor fashion sense. Guess this just sums up how casual our world has become. I cannot imagine not wearing hose and shoes to the White House (or in our case, the Prime Minister's residence) and a conservative dress/skirt/suit. We like to dress for the occasion and hope that our daughter, and our sons, have learned to do that as well. Despite the fact that I don't blame the parents, I would hope that they did have words with their daughters about their choice of clothes. My DD is still young enough for me to insist on certain outfits but that timeframe is rapidly running out - in fact it already has with our DS's. Fortunately, they still ask for help when needing to know what is 'appropriate'.

Let's hope these girls learned something from this.

Debbie

Debbie,

I "hear" ya and know how difficult it can be, but parents can have *some* control. When I was a teenager, I was extremely individualistic and nonconventional in my cothing choices. My mother just rolled her eyes. But one night, when I had been invited to a concert to Carnegie Hall and put an innappropriate and extremely casual denim jacket on over my outfit, she simply said I had to choose between the jacket and going to the concert. That was it....no argument...make a choice. I chose the concert and later glad I had to leave the jacket home. I would have looked so innappropriate with all the cocktail dresses, velvet coats and capes that you imagine seeing at Carnegie Hall!

Point is, parents can say, Flip Flops or White House, make a choice!

My guess is that many of the parents are now "back peddling" and saying they can't control what their kids wear, when in fact, I'm guessing that many of them were clueless themselves that flip flops are not appropriate.

As I wrote in another thread, my friend is a school district administrator and he said he's appalled by how these new college graduates come dressed for interviews. One girl, last year, came in super low rider jeans (so low he could see the tattoo right above her behind), a midriff baring tank top and flips. She was applying for a kindergarten teacher's position. Another girl, who was very well endowded, wore a very low cut sun dress and 4 inch stilletos with crystal beading. This year, one young guy came in wearing a very wrinkled white tank top, black jeans and black flips all this to go with the tattoos and tongue piercing. He wanted a middle school English teacher's position.

No matter if the flips cost $5 from Old Navy or $600 from Manolo, they are not appropriate for jobs (unless you're a lifeguard), funerals, or visits to the White House.

the flip flop girls who embarassed you so much are selling their flip flops on ebay to raise funds for a cancer patient. seems as much as they digust you with the flip flops these girls show their real character by doing something good for someone in need. we need to give more credit to the young people in our country than to belittle them over some stupid flip flops.

Oh please, the flip flop girls are only selling their flips on ebay because they can and are trying to redeem a little credibility by donating it to a good cause...It still bothers me that the coach did not take one look at them before they boarded the bus for the white house and say...."ladies...what are you thinking, go change you shoes..." Sissy

Archived