Selecting wine?

midwifejen

We are experienced cruisers, but new to wine, believe it or not :) Understanding that there are wide variations in each type of wine, we are wondering how selecting a wine on the ship works. Would hate to purchase a bottle at their somewhat inflated prices and realize we don't really like it after all. We plan on bringing a bottle each of tried and true for whenever, but would like to enjoy wine with our dinners as well. Wondering if they let you taste their wines before you commit to a bottle?

Most of their wines are available at your local packie or wine shop. So you can try them in advance if something catches your eye.

Google zydeco cruiser and check out his pdfs of the drinks and wine menus.

Also, if there is a wine you really really like and want to drink on board, you can bring 1 bottle per adult passenger with you in your carry-on. For those flying in there are wine and liquor stores near most ports.

Edited to say, if the wine is a varietal that you've enjoyed in the past, and you don't get a chance to try a bottle beforehand, don't hesitate to give a bottle a try. None of the bottles they carry on board are going to be "bad". The cheaper bottles will be more every-day type. But you might find a new vineyard you come to enjoy.

Edited by crewsweeper

We printed out a list of wines from the packages they offer on board, took it to our favorite wine shop and bought several of them. Did our own taste test at home, a little pre-vacation fun, and found some that we really liked. It worked for us, but even if you don't want to buy a package, that list will give you something to work with.

Good luck!

:( Oh, that's a little depressing - comparing Carnival's wine list with my Totalwine store. Carnival wants over $30 for a bottle of Barefoot anything, that I can get at my local store for $4 to $8? I knew there was a markup, but sheesh!

Will definitely bring a couple of bottles on board, and will try some of the most promising beforehand. Would hate to spend that kind of money on something we don't absolutely love!

Thanks for your suggestions!!!:)

One more question: The link I'm seeing says the 3 bottle packages are available on less than 5 day cruises and the 5 bottle packages are available on 5 day or longer cruises. Would it be possible to purchase just a 3 bottle package on a longer cruise? :confused:

:( Oh, that's a little depressing - comparing Carnival's wine list with my Totalwine store. Carnival wants over $30 for a bottle of Barefoot anything, that I can get at my local store for $4 to $8? I knew there was a markup, but sheesh!

Will definitely bring a couple of bottles on board, and will try some of the most promising beforehand. Would hate to spend that kind of money on something we don't absolutely love!

Thanks for your suggestions!!!:)

You'll see similar markups in prices in most restaurants; usually 3-5X for common wines maybe more for exclusive or rarer wines. That may or may not be as true for the chain restaurants but certainly the case for even small bistros as well as 3-5 star places. Goes to cover various costs and storage. But I agree it's a sticker shock. :eek:

On my last 8 day cruise on the Carnival Splendor, I asked the "Formalities" Shop person if I can have the 3 bottle wine package and I was told no. You can always ask. You may get a different answer if you purchase the package in the MDR.

I wound up buying the 5 wine package and it was fine.

I chose the first level wine package at $114 plus tip and the total coast was $131.

I enjoyed all of the wines in this package. It was definitely worth it for me. I would get the package again. :cool:

The advice about checking the wine list and finding in your local store is a god one. One caveat is that the lists will not show the year. Some wine on cruise ships is non-vintage or you will not know what year they do have.

Another tip (unrelated to your main question) is that it is not advisable to buy older wines on a ship unless you know for sure how it has been stored. The flavor of a wine is greatly impacted by the amount of movement of the bottle and controlling any sediment which can be bitter. As you can imagine, there is alot of movement on a cruise ship and unless they have a specialized wine storage system, sediment (more likely in older wines) will get mized around in the bottle.

One option I like is when you're on a ship that has the self-pour wine bar, you can get a decent glass of wine to carry into dinner (or enjoy elsewhere) at a cost that's not that outrageous compared to wine-by-the-glass in restaurants and bars. Plus the selections are generally different fromt he wiine package lists. Since DW rarely has a glass of wine at dinner, this works well for me and saves our carry-on bottles for those late afternoon sips on the balcony. Of course if you're pouring for more than one, it may be bettter to go the bottle route.

There is usually a "wine pairing" event. It costs extra, but could give you a taste of some of the available wines.

Agreed. My experience is that is on 7 night or longer. I have done it a couple of times. You get 3 - 4 tastes of different wine, usually a sparkling wine and some food that may (or may not) pair well. I recall getting a Chardonnary, Sauvignon Blanc and then a couple of reds.

We purchased a bottle of wine at our table in the MDR. The waiter brought it to us and poured a glass for my husband and I.....no tasting.

We tried it, and it was horrible! We asked our waiter if we could return it and pay more for a different bottle....but no....we were not allowed to return it. He said that the bottle was opened, so we were committed.

Just found this drink menu:

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/Carnival-Bar-Menu/CarnivalCruiseBarMenu.htm

Looks as if buying by the glass is a reasonable deal, possibly better than buying by the bottle (?) AND look at all the amazing cocktails!

Looks like my tab at the end may be significantly more than on prior cruises... :rolleyes: