Thomson cares help please

Hi folk and Thomson team just trying to pack suitcases for Caribbean on Sunday and really struggling. We have two allowances of 20 kilos each and have purchased an extra 5 KGS as well. The problem we have is fitting everything in the weight is OK. Did I read that we could take say 2 medium suitcases and a cabin sized suitcase to put in the hold so a total of 3 cases with 45 KGS spread over the three so long as there isn't more than 23 KGS in any one case ( fat chance of getting that in. Someone advise me before I throw my dollies out the pram. Thanks

Shirley

Thanks geo that will help if I can hoping Dan or Leanne will confirm if so its back into the bedroom to repack and spread it out a bit. Poor Mr Info is having to cook the tea I'm in such a strop and got no red wine in cos it isn't Friday night.:(

Have you managed yet, Shirley? I started to sort somethings out today. Think I will leave it nearer the time and have a good panic! I must reject lots of things and unless there is a close deadline, I find it impossible! :eek:

We do that all the time, we get 25KG each, so 50KG in total, and just spread it out through 3 cases.

Think about it, if you have 20KG as standard, and ask for an extra 5KG, so 25KG in total, but they so no case can be more than 23KG, how can you do it without spreading it across 2 cases anyway?

See here - http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/simply/terms/baggage-allowance.html

No single item of baggage may exceed 23kg. Customers who have pre-paid for an additonal check-in allowance which places them over the 23kg limit must check in an additional bag.

Baggage allowances can be pooled across a party.

Having three cases makes it so much easier for distributing your weight allocation - and easier to pack too the only drawback being the weight of your extra case uses up a bit of the xs allowance you've bought. That's where the light weight cases come into their own - or use a lightweight holdall as the third case and pile a lot of heavier itmes in it e.g. shoes.

This packing malarkey is quite an art! Hope you've got it sorted now Shirley - and have a fab time. :D All that lovely sushine and gorgeous sea - envious? Not much!!! :D Tell us all about it when you get back! ;)

Edited by kruzseeka

So, if there are 4 people travelling together and the cases weigh 22kg, 20kg, 18kg, 18kg, then the person whose case weighs 22kg does not pay any excess for being over 20kg as the total weight is less than 80kg? :confused:

And what about hand luggage? If one only carries a handbag weighing 3kg, can the other 3 carry 8kg each?

Edited by Jakanne1

So, if there are 4 people travelling together and the cases weigh 22kg, 20kg, 18kg, 18kg, then the person whose case weighs 22kg does not pay any excess for being over 20kg as the total weight is less than 80kg? :confused:

And what about hand luggage? If one only carries a handbag weighing 3kg, can the other 3 carry 8kg each?

Hi Jakanne :) I believe your first scenario is absolutely correct. But I don't think the second one is as they say you can take 'up to 7 Kg of hand luggage' so I don't think that's transferable to others, say one of 5 and another of 9Kg - though someone may know differently. One thing to remember is that they have been a liitle more diligent about weighing hand luggage and looking at the size of the bag - at some airports and sometimes - a bit random but we have been subjected to our hand luggage being weighed more often than not recently.

They do have restrictions on sizes for hand luggage too which at any time they could insist upon - and I actually have trouble getting 7Kg of stuff in a bag/rucksack which falls inside the size they quote. Even if I could have got away with it before because they haven't checked it closely, I always worry the next time I go will be the time they ask me to stick my hand luggage into one of those cages to see if it fits the max dimensions. :eek: Consequently I stay within the limits - I'd be horrified if I had a situation where they wouldn't accept my hand luggage! :D

Edited by kruzseeka

yes jaks...you can pool the bags, as long as all people are travelling on the same booking and no bag weighs over 23k

same with hand luggage as long as the bags will fit into the overhead locker

We arrived at Gatwick once - my son's hand luggage was 3kg (he was only 6 at the time) ; mine weighed 7kg (this was when we had 5kg each) Mrs Jobsworth at check-in made me unpack 2kg of my luggage & put it into my son's!

The last 2 years we have gone on a cruise, our hand luggage has not been weighed at all - out wards or return flights...

We arrived at Gatwick once - my son's hand luggage was 3kg (he was only 6 at the time) ; mine weighed 7kg (this was when we had 5kg each) Mrs Jobsworth at check-in made me unpack 2kg of my luggage & put it into my son's!

On our flight in December from Manchester to Barbados, we had a cabin size suitcase and a small backpack as handluggage. The check in lady weighed the small suit case 11kg!! but not the backpack. We had to take stuff out of the suitcase, Books, packs of mints etc Then I just carried them loose round the corner and put them back in!!!

The last 2 years we have gone on a cruise, our hand luggage has not been weighed at all - out wards or return flights...

Hope you re packed them when you got through! :D

On our flight in December from Manchester to Barbados, we had a cabin size suitcase and a small backpack as handluggage. The check in lady weighed the small suit case 11kg!! but not the backpack. We had to take stuff out of the suitcase, Books, packs of mints etc Then I just carried them loose round the corner and put them back in!!!

Good for you! A coat with plenty of pockets comes in handy for such situations. :D

Hi Jakanne :) I believe your first scenario is absolutely correct. But I don't think the second one is as they say you can take 'up to 7 Kg of hand luggage' so I don't think that's transferable to others, say one of 5 and another of 9Kg - though someone may know differently. One thing to remember is that they have been a liitle more diligent about weighing hand luggage and looking at the size of the bag - at some airports and sometimes - a bit random but we have been subjected to our hand luggage being weighed more often than not recently.

They do have restrictions on sizes for hand luggage too which at any time they could insist upon - and I actually have trouble getting 7Kg of stuff in a bag/rucksack which falls inside the size they quote. Even if I could have got away with it before because they haven't checked it closely, I always worry the next time I go will be the time they ask me to stick my hand luggage into one of those cages to see if it fits the max dimensions. :eek: Consequently I stay within the limits - I'd be horrified if I had a situation where they wouldn't accept my hand luggage! :D

I have one of those IT trolleys for hand luggage and it is just within the dimensions for Thomson. It's usually well below the 7kg limit, but by the time I'm through to the departure lounge it must weigh much more, with my purchases...Boots meal deal, water, magazines....gifts, etc. I bought the trolley case because even 7kg is heavy to carry along those long corridors to the plane.

yes jaks...you can pool the bags, as long as all people are travelling on the same booking and no bag weighs over 23k

same with hand luggage as long as the bags will fit into the overhead locker

So I'll not bother transferring my stuff to DH's case to make them both just less than 20kg in future. :D:)

Well you learn something new every day this has really opened my eyes all the stress I usually go through, packing weighing repacking reweighing we will just take 3 bags in future:)

:D:D:D. It's hard work going on holiday, isn't it?

Hope you have a wonderful time.

I have one of those IT trolleys for hand luggage and it is just within the dimensions for Thomson. It's usually well below the 7kg limit, but by the time I'm through to the departure lounge it must weigh much more, with my purchases...Boots meal deal, water, magazines....gifts, etc. I bought the trolley case because even 7kg is heavy to carry along those long corridors to the plane.

What a good idea. We never bother with extra bags as I don't want to carry them, but this would be ideal for books etc. I can also put some swimming stuff in as the cases always seem to be delivered late on the Dream. Are the dimensions in the back of the brochure?

What a good idea. We never bother with extra bags as I don't want to carry them, but this would be ideal for books etc. I can also put some swimming stuff in as the cases always seem to be delivered late on the Dream. Are the dimensions in the back of the brochure?

Dimensions in A to Z Guide. Hand Luggage is maximum 55 x 40 x 20cm. You should be able to lift your hand luggage into the overhead storage compartments yourself. Other bags, such as handbags must fit in your single item of hand luggage.

I put the things I think I will need on the flight in a separate bag which I take out of the trolley bag to keep with me. That way I can lift the trolley bag up into the overhead compartment myself!!