No room a month out?

cruisingcatmama

I am going on my first cruise with my husband this coming March to Europe on the Norwegian Jade. At first we booked an inside cabin but our travel agent let us know that we could upgrade to an oceanview guarantee for only a little more. Now its a month out from the cruise (we leave Mar 1st) and I still have no room assigned. When I checked on the NCL.com website it says there are only 8 rooms left (3 family picture window and 5 porthole).

What happens when these fill out? Will we kicked back into an inside? Will we be able to get our money back at least?

I don't care too much about what room we are in but I sure hope we have a room. It's pretty expensive to fly out to Rome!

It will be fine. They plan to put you in an oceanview room (or better), they just have not yet decided which one. They do not have to tell you which room until you arrive at the pier, but most people find out sooner. NCL does not necessarily show all available rooms on their website; they seem to hide some when they are seeling guarantee cabins (like yours).

Keep watching on myNCL; odds are you will get a room number sometime in the next three+ weeks. Just keep telling yourself that waiting is half the fun....

Have gotten gty weeks in advance and once day a day before sailing. Don't worry, you will receive an OV or better (you won't be downgraded into inside). Usually the cruise roster needs to be completed by noon the day prior to sailing, so you will probably be assigned a cabin then if not sooner

Relax, it's a cruise

Safe sailing

I am going on my first cruise with my husband this coming March to Europe on the Norwegian Jade. At first we booked an inside cabin but our travel agent let us know that we could upgrade to an oceanview guarantee for only a little more. Now its a month out from the cruise (we leave Mar 1st) and I still have no room assigned. When I checked on the NCL.com website it says there are only 8 rooms left (3 family picture window and 5 porthole).

What happens when these fill out? Will we kicked back into an inside? Will we be able to get our money back at least?

I don't care too much about what room we are in but I sure hope we have a room. It's pretty expensive to fly out to Rome!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

As others have said, you do not need to worry. If you have paid for an oceanview cabin, you will be assigned that category, or better. Sometimes people with guarantee reservations don't discover their cabin assignment until they arrive for embarkation.

Enjoy your cruise!

Don't be pre-occupied by the current list of empty cabins either. In the time between now and your sailing, they will be trying to upsell existing passengers into better cabins for a small price to get more revenue to the cruise line. As they start this "upward" shuffle, it will open up cabins in various categories that you may never see as available on the website. While they do this, they also start juggling in the Guarantee cabins into the appropriate slots (or better). Don't worry. You'll get the cabin category you paid for. But it may not get assigned until the last minute.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Thanks all for the replies. Should I go ahead and fill the edocs out then or wait till I have a room assignment?

My travel agent is currently on maternity leave so I've been feeling a little stranded but I don't want to bother her when she's at home with a new baby :)

No you will have a cabin either before sailing (a month is a long time) or you will get assigned when you get to the port and the good news: usually the later the assignment the better the cabin. This isn't always the case, but more times than not it is. I was disappointed when we chose a gty cabin (balcony) for our April sailing and got our assignment right away. I was hoping for something a little better. On well, we will be sailing anyway and we will be just fine.

I agree with everything that's been said. Please come back and tell us which cabin you've been assigned when it happens. (The suspense is killing me!:D) Meanwhile, it's been my experience that far more available cabins show up on the travel website that starts with exped........than at NCL. Good luck and happy cruising!

Thanks all for the replies. Should I go ahead and fill the edocs out then or wait till I have a room assignment?

My travel agent is currently on maternity leave so I've been feeling a little stranded but I don't want to bother her when she's at home with a new baby :)

Oh, don't feel stranded....you found cruisecritic! There are lots of helpful people that love cruising. And thinking about cruising. And posting about cruising. If you have questions, do a search on these forums and you might find the answer fast. if that doesn't work, go ahead and post the question here. You might get the occassional odd nasty or inaccurate reply (happens on the web), but laugh those off as most posters are reasonably kind and helpful. Some times you just have to involve your TA (for example if you wanted to upgrade your cabin), but for general questions you are set. here is also a roll call for people on your sailing; that can be a great source for private tours and sailing specific info.

Meanwhile, it's been my experience that far more available cabins show up on the travel website that starts with exped........than at NCL. Good luck and happy cruising!

I have yet to see a TA site that would show more than the max of 15 available cabins that NCL's system gives out - either through their website or the exacly same backend that provides info for third party sites too.

Well I finally got in touch with my TA. She talked to Norwegian and they say I won't be getting an assignment til sailing :eek: At least this way I know I don't need to check every day.

Only once have I not had a cabin before I got to the pier out of a dozen GTY's.

I booked that one 12 hrs before boarding . You will get an assignment beforehand . I had to wait outside with the stevedores till I got a cabin #

Well I finally got in touch with my TA. She talked to Norwegian and they say I won't be getting an assignment til sailing :eek: At least this way I know I don't need to check every day.

You'll be fine, we're all pulling for you and wishing you the best, positive vibes are being sent your way.

You should still check your account on NCL, we all know that the agents do NOT know everything (not trying to bash NCL) but don't worry if you don't have your cabin assigned it will still be OK.

Enjoy your cruise,