What do you DISLIKE about Oceana?

tjcletsgo

Now, now, let's play nice, children!:)

If ARTSYGRL wants to experiment with colors and/or fonts, let her rip. Her name says it all.

Having a slight color deficiency, I prefer a high contrast black on white display. But then, I also love plain vanilla ice cream - and plenty of sea days.

Booked the Regatta Miami-Barcelona on March 22. It'll be our first on Oceania, but from what I have seen on their video, I am looking forward to spending lots of time in the library and at High Tea with (LIVE) classical music. I can see one disadvantage to sea days: You active guys are still on board.

Whatever style cruisers you and we are, let's enjoy cruising and posting, each in his or her own way!

Thanks again, Jane!

Here's my problem. On a 10 day caribbean cruise, Oceania has 4 sea days, 2 at the beginning, and 2 at the end. Now, if the weather's nice, we'll be fine....spend our time outside at the pool, and evenings out on deck.

I'm not someone who needs to be "spoon-fed".........never once been to a show, played trivia, cards (I'll admit to a few bingo games because friends were going, and it was really windy on deck-had fun, too!). I just wondered what people do if the weather's bad (yes, I know that is not the cruise line's fault).

Wine tasting, cooking demo's and eating should take care of a few days. I'm just not sure about 4 sea days. I may save Oceania for a Mediterranian cruise. :D

Ahh those wine tastings. On a recent Insignia cruise, we went to both wine tastings and found them to be the best of any cruise ship we've ever sailed on (and being oenophiles, we always attend on-board tastings). The first one was hosted by the current president of the American Somelliers Association - and you can only imagine how very informative it was (along with some exceptional wines, not the usual "plunk" that the mass-market lines try to push). The second, hosted by a charming and knowledgable Oceania somellier, featured food and wine pairings. Again - a thoroughly informative experience!

Mike

wrote in part..

I just wondered what people do if the weather's bad (yes, I know that is not the cruise line's fault).

:D

cry!

Then.. maybe take a computer class, or just go use it.. read a book ( great library)EAT.

Then go to the gym, take a steam, get massaged, go to high tea, eat.

wrote in parts:

If ARTSYGRL wants to experiment with colors and/or fonts, let her rip. Her name says it all.

EXACTLY!

I can see one disadvantage to sea days: You active guys are still on board.

too funny!

It is great that someone has a sense of humor. Those who have it should all use the funky colors and drive that critic nuts!

As you write your message, you will notice symbols: B is for bold, the slanted I is for italics, U is for underline. Above the B square is a double AA and next to that is the square for changing your typeface (the typeface I am using now is Verdana). Size is reflected by the number- #2 for example is the size I am using now. The A next to that (and before the smiley face) that has a color underline under it has a down arrow which needs to be clicked , then a host of color grids will appear- click the color you desire. Before you are able to change the color of anything in the text, you need to highlight. You might enjoy the colors more than the cruise itself....a new toy!;)

cry!

Then.. maybe take a computer class, or just go use it.. read a book ( great library)EAT.

Then go to the gym, take a steam, get massaged, go to high tea, eat.

I have many days at sea or at home where I just like to be by myself. I am definitely not a loner, but never am I bored and often look for an excuse not to do anything! Not a bad life.

Esther

. what is the majority in regards to age? ..

I will take a guess as to mid 50's + for most passengers some younger but it depends on time of year and area of cruise.

entertainment: the music by the pool is terrific, includiang the live combos....everyone appreciates it, and I am sure all are pleased that there are no whistles and announcements- however:

The "tired" and often "comatose" pianist ( no matter how nice a guy he might be) in the martini lounge becomes less than a thrill when you are there every evening pre dinner for 2 weeks. It would be great to have a lively trio or jazzy ensemble to make the lounge a bit more FUN and contemporary. Music is a great UPPER that often sets a tone for the evening.........a bored musician does not enliven a group, but rather brings it down. And yes, one does not have to go to that lounge every night, however, it is the only one where there is music. This is a constructive criticism and hope that Mr.Del Rio will consider it- we know he reads the boards.

You're not referring to Jerry Blaine, are you? He was aboard the Insignia last year (although in earlier posts, FDR noted that the pianist aboard a recent Insignia cruise was a last-minute replacement who is about to be himself replaced).

We found Jerry incredibly entertaining - holding "Name that Tune" contests, a "Hooray For Hollywood" night, and even an impromptu late night cabaret performance with the lovely Shani Reay in the Martini Lounge! Some might remember Jerry from his Silversea days (and like Silversea, Oceania also hires string orchestras from Poland). Speaking of Polish musicians, on our Regatta cruise was a classical pianist named Waldemer (his last name escapes me). Not only did he give a performance in full white tie and tails, he also hosted a comedy night! Kind of what you would get if you crossed Liberace with Victor Borge.

Note that Oceania currently operates two ships (with a third on the way), so the entertainers aboard one ship may not necessarily be reflective of those on the others, and even then the entertainer(s) may only be temporary ones.

Richard

Thanks again, Jane!

Here's my problem. On a 10 day caribbean cruise, Oceania has 4 sea days, 2 at the beginning, and 2 at the end. Now, if the weather's nice, we'll be fine....spend our time outside at the pool, and evenings out on deck.

I'm not someone who needs to be "spoon-fed".........never once been to a show, played trivia, cards (I'll admit to a few bingo games because friends were going, and it was really windy on deck-had fun, too!). I just wondered what people do if the weather's bad (yes, I know that is not the cruise line's fault).

Wine tasting, cooking demo's and eating should take care of a few days. I'm just not sure about 4 sea days. I may save Oceania for a Mediterranian cruise. :D

Like you, I'm not a big fan of ship organized group activities. I don't get to most of the shows as I prefer "hanging" with my pals and usually only end up at an art auction or irish sing-a-long when Claudia drags me kicking and screaming or Jan gives me the secret handshake and I join her trivia group for a session. <g>

Personally, I probably wouldn't go on any 10 day cruise that had 4 days at sea, especially if it was to the Carribbean. Since I'm not a "sun 'n sand' kinda girl, I'd likely walk off ship, buy a trinket, have a drink w/ an umbrella in it and be back on the ship. So for me, it would be almost like 10 days at sea and I'd lose my mind. However, that would be for any cruiseline and has nothing to do with Oceania. That said, I might consider a 10 day cruise that has 4 days at sea if the ports were very interesting places and I had my pals Claudia and Jan along for the 4 sea days. :)

But enuf about me.....from what you say about yourself, since you're not a big fan of the organized ship activites, it sounds like if the weather's bad and you're stuck indoors on a ship, you're not going to really enjoy any ship any more or less than Oceania in that regard. I would hope that if the weather is bad and more people are onboard that any ship would try to come up with more than the usual number of activities for that day.

Jane

No, I was not referring to Jerry Blaine......and we remember him Silversea too.........to tell you the truth, his name and being was more than forgettable.

I still think a jazz/contemporary up trio would be a great addition to the ambience of the martini lounge.

wrote in part:

I prefer "hanging" with my pals and usually only end up at an art auction or irish sing-a-long when Claudia drags me kicking and screaming......... <g>

Jane

I Dragged you to the Irish sing along? ( LOL)..I think we didn't get out of there fast enough........and

our husbands were smart - they didn't go..

I must be blind because there is no way to change the font/ or color here when I type a reply. Is it just me or is that the same for others?

Perhaps that is why we couldn't make the pretty color changes.

All I have is

post icons showing below this message box

I must be blind because there is no way to change the font/ or color here when I type a reply. Is it just me or is that the same for others?

Perhaps that is why we couldn't make the pretty color changes.

All I have is

post icons showing below this message box

Claudia,

Click on User CP in the upper left of the blue bar. Scroll down to "Miscellaneous Options". Change "Message Editor Interface" (drop down list) to read "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing".

Then you will see the icons to edit your posts color, font, bold, etc. when you click on Post Reply.

A bit of trivia from a computer nerd... WYSIWYG translates to "What you see is what you get". :eek:

Good luck!

Joe

Hello everyone.

I agree with ARTSGIRL about Martini's getting a bit repetitive and dull with only the piano player entertaining most evenings (even if it is the great Jerry Blaine). We've begun to mix it up, and now have a trio (bass, drums, piano and a singer) performing 3-4 times per cruise.

We're thinking of adding a saxphone player for that really jazzy/sexy sound.

What I'd like to know from you guys is: What activities WOULD you like us to have onboard on sea days? Please be as specific as you can.

If we can do it (and it's not illegal) we will!!

Thanks again.

Frank

Frank are you working late?

As for me, no matter what the cruiseline I like sea days to relax. I enjoy the spa first thing in the a.m. then grab a chair and a good book and relax on deck and I have been known to dip in the pool throughout the day in between some well deserved naps.

I work at a fast pace with all kinds of mind stimulation all day and all week long, and I look forward to enjoying the priviledge of doing absolutely nothing. So I am a fan of sea days in that regard, and you need do nothing more for me than keep the sun shining, the water clean and warm, and bar service available for something fun to sip on.

But two days in a row is enough for me, then I need to strech my legs, get serious, and move around. So get me to a port.

Sorry I can't help you with new ideas, I am just fine for sea days as they are. Even if it rains, I have my spa tratments, a good book and bar service and truly will want for nothing more.

Glad to hear you are mixing it up with the musical entertainment in Martinis. I like the sexy sax idea.....Just in time for me in Febriuary! :)

I'd like to learn about the ports we're going to, but please, not just about the shopping, like we've experienced on other lines. History, culture, politics, what to see/do.

How about ballroom dance lessons? We'd go.

We really enjoyed Jerry Blaine in Martinis, especially when he played while Todd Makofsky (?sp) sang. I never could get Todd to reprise his role as bris boy in "Naked Boys Singing".

The wine tasting was lots of fun; I wish the entrance price was applied to the purchase of a bottle. But I'm so grateful that you allow us to bring wine on board, that I'm not complaining. After a day of sightseeing, we're so tired that we just want to take off our shoes, put up our feet, and enjoy a glass of local wine in the peace and quiet of our cabin.

I just wondered what people do if the weather's bad (yes, I know that is not the cruise line's fault).

One possibility is to start a snowball fight (this photo is Insignia last December):

16-vi.jpg

And regarding the discussion about Jerry Blaine -- we really enjoyed the "Name That Tune" competition that featured Jerry and Todd in Martinis. If possible, I would enjoy having that experience on our next cruise.

phlewt

Frank: Whatever you have to do to accomplish this, please get the trumpeter Gary Guthman (sp) back on board frequently. We were on Regatta, MIA MIA last Feb and so was he. What a treat when he played in the Martini Lounge with the Polish piano player whose name escapes me. They were magic together and there was standing room only each night that he was there.

Also, that piano player was fantastic and had played with Guthman once several years before on another cruise line. One of my all time best musical experiences. To us, music is critical to a good cruise.

By the way, sorry that the vocalist position has been eliminated. The female singer can add a lot to the Horizon Lounge experience at night.

Thanks for reading these posts.

Archived