Online discount cruise operators

lisakoivu

I realize nobody is allowed to name names.

But I'm interesting in knowing any success/horror stories using online discount operators.

Would you recommend or not? Some are offering free DSC etc., so I'm working from the theory that if it looks too good to be true maybe it is?

Yes, there are threads on this, but not really recent ones. So I welcome your feedback.

I should have mentioned that we're Canadian too... chicken by nature?

I am not necessarily knocking those low price on line companies: some are legit and worth using, but the big problem is: you have no one representing you, no one to answer your questions and if, by some chance you do end up with an agent, they are, normally just order takers and have no knowledge of the industry, they ship, whatever. For us, paying a little more is better than taking a chance. If you are experienced cruisers and do all your own research then give it a shot.

I used a big box travel company for my last couple of cruises. While I did get a lower price, I didn't really have anyone watching my reservation and NCL can't talk to me about changes to the reservation because it was owned by that company. I had an agent, but when my BA cruise price dropped I was the one watching the prices and asking for adjustments. I attempted to have my cousin who is a travel agent try and take over the reservation but the big box company wouldn't release it. I went to my cousin for my next trip.

I've used an online company twice. The price was the same as the actual cruise company, but I got extra perks. On our upcoming March cruise we got free gratuities and $175 OBC. Works for me! No they do not watch the fares, but I can do that for $350 of perks. Plus they have services that will email/alert you when prices drop.

Currently we use a big TA that advertises also here on Cruise Critic and can be described as "online discount operator" like OP asked. So far we have booked four cruises through them and I have always had one contact person that I can contact from the booking until the cruise is finished (and my current agent has been with me for the last three reservations, I contact them like I did NCL PCC).

For the perks we get (significant OBC, comped dinners, wine) I don't expect them to monitor the price for changes, I'm completely capable of doing that myself if needed - and if I do contact them about changes or upgrades, they usually get them done promptly. So as long as I get at least the same level of service I'd get from NCL PCC (I tried few and wasn't that pleased with any) for a lower total price (OBC considered), I'm very happy with the TA and could recommend using one.

For my upcoming Getaway cruise, I am using the same online TA for the second time in 6 months. They gave us $650 in obc for a balcony guaranteed cabin. The same day, I called NCL directly to compare the deals. NCL could not meet the same deal. They seem to go to bat for you with the cruise lines, as we had a price drop on our last trip,and they gor it for us. The only down side I see is their operating hours...no nights or weekends. They book group cabins and give you deals, it works nicely for me.

Howard

I completely forgot the group bookings - we had two cabins part of a group booking on Epic last year and paid only slightly more pp for balcony than we would have for the oceanview we had originally planned. And on top of that some OBC etc, like we normally get from our TA.

I completely forgot the group bookings - we had two cabins part of a group booking on Epic last year and paid only slightly more pp for balcony than we would have for the oceanview we had originally planned. And on top of that some OBC etc, like we normally get from our TA.

Oceanview on Epic?

Edited by XSWABBY

Ocean view on Epic?

No, my bad. :D :D :D I mixed it up with the obstructed oceanviews we had on the next week on Pearl. As that whole trip was on smaller budget, we were supposed to have insides on Epic.

Edited by Demonyte

I am trying to figure out if two cabins are a "group booking"? I had booked a 25 day on the Epic for the fall and then another couple went to the TA I recommended and also booked the same cruise. I did not get even a thank you e-mail from the TA about our friends booking with him. I found it a little annoying. Can you clarify the group booking for me please and thank you.

Wendy

I am trying to figure out if two cabins are a "group booking"? I had booked a 25 day on the Epic for the fall and then another couple went to the TA I recommended and also booked the same cruise. I did not get even a thank you e-mail from the TA about our friends booking with him. I found it a little annoying. Can you clarify the group booking for me please and thank you.

Group booking on NCL is when there are at least 8 cabins with double occupancy (or singles paying the single supplement) booked in one group - for every eight cabins one cabin is free.

Travel agents do sometimes book large blocks of cabins and then on their website etc. one can see one specific cabin category being sold for special price. These are usually only available until some time before final payment as the group organizers need to finalize their group size and release unneeded cabin allocations for the cruise line to sell.

So unless you happen to come across this kind of deal, with only two cabins you can't get group discount. Our Epic cruise was only time our TA was offering group booking on the cruise we had selected.

Edited by Demonyte

Group booking on NCL is when there are at least 8 cabins with double occupancy (or singles paying the single supplement) booked in one group - for every eight cabins one cabin is free.

Travel agents do sometimes book large blocks of cabins and then on their website etc. one can see one specific cabin category being sold for special price. These are usually only available until some time before final payment as the group organizers need to finalize their group size and release unneeded cabin allocations for the cruise line to sell.

So unless you happen to come across this kind of deal, with only two cabins you can't get group discount. Our Epic cruise was only time our TA was offering group booking on the cruise we had selected.

Thanks for all the info. As to my second point - I would expect a thank you from the TA for my referral and perhaps a dinner or something at the pay restaurants or an OBC or something? Am I expecting too much for a referral and booking of a 25 day cruise by my friends?

Wendy

Thanks for all the info. As to my second point - I would expect a thank you from the TA for my referral and perhaps a dinner or something at the pay restaurants or an OBC or something? Am I expecting too much for a referral and booking of a 25 day cruise by my friends?

Wendy

I don't know that I would expect anything from the TA, and then if you do end up getting something, it would be a nice surprise.

We also use major online TA's, but we are experienced cruises and essentially know exactly what we want before we book, so it is really just a matter of getting the TA to make the booking for us. I will also say that we also benefit from the TA's "group" bookings. You will not see those rates advertised online... you have to make a specific request in order to get the best rate quoted for you.

I really wish the names of TA's & companies were allowed on the site! I have booked our first two cruises with the same large online company because it was recommended to me from a friend. I have not had issues with them at all, but they are not offering near as good of perks for the trip I have booked for this summer as other online sites. Because I don't know much about the other sites, I'm too nervous to try them. I did call my TA & asked if they could match & it was very obvious he was frustrated. He did increase my OBC (still $85 short of the other company) so I am happy I received a little extra & will have peace of mind about the company since I have used them before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

For our upcoming spring break cruise, (and our Alaska cruise 2 years ago), I used an online resource to bid on my business. Then used the same B&M TA to book both. Ended up paying less than NCL published fare, even with insurance. And got OBC.

Surely do miss that online resource when booking NCL.

For our upcoming spring break cruise, (and our Alaska cruise 2 years ago), I used an online resource to bid on my business. Then used the same B&M TA to book both. Ended up paying less than NCL published fare, even with insurance. And got OBC.

Did you take copies of the online offers to your B&M TA and they matched them? If yes, did they seem to mind? I feel like I really annoyed my TA when I asked for a price match. In his defense, I had already booked the cruise several months ago so it was not a new booking, but I am well ahead of any penalty period.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We use that same resource. ;)

We are not loyal to a single line, so we are still able to use them. Agree it is a shame that NCL is no longer a part of that process.

I used an online last minute cruises website to book my latest cruise. I had a question about the NCL upgrade offer but no one at the place I booked through knew enough to answer my question and NCL could not because I booked through the last minute cruises site. So I didn't like that.

Currently we use a big TA that advertises also here on Cruise Critic and can be described as "online discount operator" like OP asked. So far we have booked four cruises through them and I have always had one contact person that I can contact from the booking until the cruise is finished (and my current agent has been with me for the last three reservations, I contact them like I did NCL PCC).

For the perks we get (significant OBC, comped dinners, wine) I don't expect them to monitor the price for changes, I'm completely capable of doing that myself if needed - and if I do contact them about changes or upgrades, they usually get them done promptly. So as long as I get at least the same level of service I'd get from NCL PCC (I tried few and wasn't that pleased with any) for a lower total price (OBC considered), I'm very happy with the TA and could recommend using one.

What company?

The group bookings are the best. I have had ridiculously low rates with great perks going that route.

Edited by SissasMomE