Private Tour Guides Rome and Florence/Pisa

azdmelani

I apologize because I am sure this has been asked numerous times, but there doesnt seem to be a search function on these boards.

Going on a Med cruise in September. We are looking into a private tour guide in Rome (with transportation from the ship) and are waitlisted for the ship tour to Florence/Pisa/Statue of David from Livorno. Would it make sense to hire a private guide here as well?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

I apologize because I am sure this has been asked numerous times, but there doesnt seem to be a search function on these boards.

Going on a Med cruise in September. We are looking into a private tour guide in Rome (with transportation from the ship) and are waitlisted for the ship tour to Florence/Pisa/Statue of David from Livorno. Would it make sense to hire a private guide here as well?

Look at the FIRST Sticky above(with no lock on it) as there is quite a bit of info there. I am sure someone will post info you need as well.There is a wealth of info on this board re private tours and going back a few pages will give you some idea.

Look at the Rome In Limo thread with SEVERAL thousand posts about how wonderful their guides, drivers and tours are. They may be called "ROME" in Limo but they also service Florence, Naples as well as other areas. They are ALWAYS on time and their drivers and guides are so knowledgeable, they made our two trips to Italy just wonderful and we will be working with them again when we return in 2015. Check out their website at romeinlimo dot com. Have a wonderful trip!!!:)

Waitlisted??? Does that mean the tour on the ship is full and the ship does not sail till Sept. We are going in March on Costa. We have looked at private tours but they are soooo much more than the ship tour. Do we need to book the ship tour now?

Waitlisted??? Does that mean the tour on the ship is full and the ship does not sail till Sept. We are going in March on Costa. We have looked at private tours but they are soooo much more than the ship tour. Do we need to book the ship tour now?

Yes, that is correct. I am sailing Princess and they don't charge for excursions until on-board, so I imagine there will be people who will decide on other options. I know other cruiselines will charge when booking an excursion, but I am not sure what Costa's policy is. Have a wonderful cruise!

I would highly recommend you reconsider. THe ship tours are almost always big bus affairs and will move slowly on big bus and have to park and hike into attractions. With a private van/car you will get dropped curbside, not wait for the slowest of a party of 40 to 60 people who all have different sightseeing pace and shopping urgency.

With only a few hours in port every hour/minute you save is extra time you get to decide to do, its moeny well spent. If you share a van then the price is divide by 6 so it becomes near 100/person which is similar to a ship tour that will offer far less.

Good luck

Hi, We are cruising in May with stops in Florence/Pisa and in Rome. We are doing a tour in both places with Fabrizio owner of All Around Italy tour company. He was very helpful and answered my emails quickly. He comes very well recommended on the cruise critic boards. We are looking forward to his tours. Here are reviews about them from fellow cruisers on cruise critic...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1050562&highlight=all+around+italy

Any questions please ask.

Knarf Frank backwards

Hi there!

We just came back from an European cruise. We used Giovanni with Sunflower tours and he was excellent! His email is:

sunflower.tours@alice.it

We booked 9 excursions on this trip and his was by far the best. He is personable, knowledgeable and flexible.

Email me directly if you have any specific questions. Enjoy!

Joyce

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...