Behind the fun tour

asalligo

My dad did the Behind the Fun on the Carnival Freedom and they saw.......

The Laundry Room

The Bridge

The Galley

They had a question and answer session with the singers and dancers

The crew dining room

I'm sure they went to more places on the ship but those are the ones I can remember

We went near the crews' quarters but because many of them walk late at night and were sleeping we did not, per say, go into their quarters.

We also saw where the food is stored; sub-freezers where the meats/seafood is kept, the area where the alcohol/beer is stored, etc.

While they didn't open the doors they did show us where the brig and morgue is.

The galley and met the chief with free samples of chocolate, cold food storage area, beer storage, the laundry room, the towel folding area, the sheet folding area, the recycle area, the training room, had sodas in a crew dining room, saw the engine control room, one of the engine rooms, the crew lounge, backstage in the main show lounge, the bridge where we had photos taken with the captain. Some climbing of steep stairs. We had a good time. :)

Thanks, it sounds like a great tour even if we see no crew quarters. I am going to try to book it as soon as I am onboard.

I was booked to take it on the Splendor this past week and had to cancel since my husband made it into the Legends Show. I was happy yet disappointed at not getting the tour in. I made him promise me we will take it on the Sunshine when we cruise our next 5 day (no Legends show on those)!

hoping to do the Behind the scenes tour in March on the Paradise. Taking our grandsons on their 1st cruise. we lost our son, their father, 5 months ago and that is their 1 request, to do the behind the scenes tour. Hopefully we can get abaord on time and book the tour for them.

The galley and met the chief with free samples of chocolate, cold food storage area, beer storage, the laundry room, the towel folding area, the sheet folding area, the recycle area, the training room, had sodas in a crew dining room, saw the engine control room, one of the engine rooms, the crew lounge, backstage in the main show lounge, the bridge where we had photos taken with the captain. Some climbing of steep stairs. We had a good time. :)

I did it on the Triumph a couple of years ago and it was pretty much the same thing but no access to the engine rooms. We talked with the executive chef and watched a fruit carving demonstration as well. We also got to speak with the chief engineer, #2 man on the ship.

Of course we met the captain and several of the crew on the bridge. They would answer any questions we had and gave us all demonstrations of what the various equipment does.

We went back stage in the showroom and into a changing area where we spoke to the dance manager, who was also a dancer. She showed us all of their costumes and explained how the sets all works. It was way more interesting than I expected.

It was really cool seeing the behind the scenes and yes we did see some of the crew quarters, where the lower ranked staff stays. Like the maintenance staff and they were very spartan to say the least. Nothing worse than what I've seen in barracks or on Navy ships though.

The best part about it for me was interacting with the crew. They all have some good stories and other than the engineer and the captain they all started at the bottom.

Do you have to pay something to go on the tour?

Yes and I believe the price varies by ship class. We did the Behind the Fun tour on Miracle a few years ago and it was $95 per person; I've heard it's less on the smaller ships (Fantasy class). You have to book on-board at the shore excursions desk - as someone above mentions, you should do it on embarkation day as soon as you board because space is limited and therefore sells out quickly.

Edited by joepeka

I'd like to take this tour. Is this something that can be booked ahead of time or must be booked on board. What is the price of this tour. Thanks.

Here is the info that's out on Carnival.com.

http://carnival-news.com/2009/07/23/carnivals-new-behind-the-fun-tours-offer-unique-insight-into-lines-shipboard-operations/

It can only be booked once on board - and they only take between 12 and 16 per group - so it fills up fast. We did it on the Dream - it was very informative and entertaining!

Edited by happy cruzin

Took it on the Valor, and this is where we went

Brig/Morgue

Backstage

Dressing room

Galley

Laundry Room

Bow of the ship

engine control room

"I-95"

Food storage areas

bridge

steakhouse

break room

Crew bar

training room

• 1 year later...

I think it was about $60 on the Fantasy last year. It's cheaper because it's a shorter tour. We didn't see the brig or the morgue. Although we did not see a ton of crew area, the person who gave us the tour was from Human Resources so he was pretty interesting.

I thought the tour was super interesting.

Also to the poster who said he wants to take his grandsons, first, I'm so sorry for your loss. I just want to mention that I thought there was a minimum age for taking that tour. I only mention it because if the boys are young, I wouldn't want them to have all this excitement, then get there and be disappointed. I could be completely wrong. You might want to investigate a little more to be sure they will be allowed on the tour.