Penn Station to Cruise Port Terminal

PattyJean

I've booked a cruise on NCL Breakaway for 2/23/14. Trying decide if I should chance traveling by train from Boston to Penn Station arriving around 10:30 am for a cruise time of 3:00 pm (need to be at ship by 1:00 pm). Never been to NYC. Any advice? :confused:

Take a cab, they are lined up waiting right outside Penn Sta.

If you elect to drive down, parking is on the roof of the pier, then take the elevator down to the ship. It will cost you but it could not be easier!

There are VERY few things that delay a train and Penn Station is not far from the port. There are tons of cabs waiting outside every exit from Penn station. You should have no problem and will probably get ON the ship by noon.

Absolutely take a cab. Just to ease your mind that you will have no problem, I can tell you that they are within walking distance of each other, if you like walking, but I would NEVER suggest that. Cab will get you there within about 20 minutes, and I really don't think it will be that expensive. And yes, there are cabs galore.

Don't be sad or confused. Just worry about the hassle of carrying your luggage!!!

I've booked a cruise on NCL Breakaway for 2/23/14. Trying decide if I should chance traveling by train from Boston to Penn Station arriving around 10:30 am for a cruise time of 3:00 pm (need to be at ship by 1:00 pm). Never been to NYC. Any advice? :confused:

We took this same train (although we boarded it in RI) last May for our trip on the Gem and it was perfect. When we arrived at Penn Station we got a cab to the pier and it was less than $20 including tip even though we waited in line for a bit at the pier to get dropped off. I don't remember the exact time we boarded, but there was no rush at all and we enjoyed lunch onboard at a very reasonable time.

I agree with the previous poster that very few things delay a train much. You can check Amtrak train status going back a week and use it to monitor the historical on-time performance of the train.

Amtrak shuts down regularly for 8" of snow or more.

For a February cruise, I'd avoid that risk by coming down the day before and spending $250 or so on a hotel room for peace of mind.

Amtrak shuts down regularly for 8" of snow or more.

For a February cruise, I'd avoid that risk by coming down the day before and spending $250 or so on a hotel room for peace of mind.

And more for parking at the pier :)

And more for parking at the pier :)

I think the post to which you responded suggested taking Amtrak the day before, not driving down instead of taking the train.

Generally, it is a good idea for anyone who needs more than one hour (by either primary, or last-minute alternate, transportation) to get from home to the port during the months of November through March to do so the day before embarkation.