Disabled Child - Celebrity Infinity to Norwegian Fjords

Hello,

My family and I are first time cruisers and we have booked the Celebrity Infinity to Norwegian Fjords in August. Our son is a full time wheelchair user and we would like any information on accessible excursions. We are obviously worried about when the ship tenders as our son can not get out of his wheelchair but my husband and I can lift him between us - would this be allowed? Has anyone been on an accessible excursions as we are still waiting to hear from Celebrity on what is available.

would really appreciate a reply

Link to Celebrity's Accessible Tour Guidelines posted on it's website : http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/celebrity/en_US/pdf/Cel_Accessible_Tour_Info_%20Guidelines_%20Sep2010_2.pdf

Link to Celebrity's Tendering Policy posted on its website: http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_special_needs&cS=Footer&ICID=Cel_10Q4_web_hp_ftr_accessibility#onboard_boarding_accessibility_tab

No one can say for certain that the cruise line will allow your husband to carry your son on board the tender or not as there are many unknown variables that can prohibited this from being done. You won't know for certain until the actual port and the Captain has the final determination. It's best never to pre-book any tours for tendered ports when traveling with a wheelchair bound individual. Safety always prevails.

Newcruiser,

So glad you found this. You will find lots of knowledge here.

Gerainger is the only port scheduled to be tendered on this trip, and a local from that part of Norway has said on the Ports forum that the views from the ship are fantastic on the long sail in.

See you on board!

Some questions for you about your son. What size is he? By that I mean, is he tall or heavy? Can your husband carry him by himself, or does it take both of you? Does he use a regular folding wheelchair or a power chair? The reason I ask is, Infinity is an older, M Class ship and they use lifeboats as tenders. There's no way to fit three of you at the same time, through the access point, into the tender as it's not all that wide. Unless Infinity has changed since my last cruise on her, you will need to go down metal stairs just to get to the tender area.

If your son uses a power chair, the tender crew will not lift it onto the tender for liability and insurance reasons. Now, if your husband can carry your son by himself, and you have a folding wheelchair, they may, or may not allow this to happen. If its even a little bit choppy, it's difficult for individuals to board tenders, much less when carrying someone.

I've been to all the ports you mention, and you're going to have to do some research on accessible vehicles. None of those ports have hoho buses that are accessible---at least none that I saw. Alesund can easily be done on your own, as you dock in the middle of the city, and it's easy to walk from the port area to where all the action is. I'm surprised Alesund is listed on Celebrity's website as a tender port because we docked there, along with two other ships. Their port areas a large and can accommodate large ships.

I really can't see any accessible tours in Olden as its a port for nature hikes and glacier tours. It's a tiny village where you can easily walk around on your own.

Flam is similar to Olden as most of the tours are centered around fjord tours, glacier hikes and similar activities. You might want to check out the Flam Railway Tour. When I was there, they had one coach for those using wheelchairs. But, you have to book early as participation is EXTREMELY limited. You will also have to walk about 300 yards to get to the train station, but at least it's a possibility.

Oslo is like any big city, so maybe you can arrange a private, accessible vehicle to take you to the sites.

I really can't tell you about Stavanger because I just tooled around the area and didn't do a tour, but I know there are lots of museums and, in particular, a children's museum. Same thing for Bergen. I just looked around in the general port area.

Edited by kitty9

Geiranger now has a floating gangway that they use with no discernable pattern:

havna_zpsea4f5dc5.jpg

current_0_zps09d3bf36.jpg

If there is more than one ship in, I don't know how they decide which gets it...Or if they feel it obstructs the path of the tenders from other ships...EM

Bergen, Oslo and Stavanger do have accessible hoho busses. Found all 3 very easy to navigate. Same with Alesund (church's accessible through side door).

Flam deoends in tendering or not and personal (un)abilities in tendering since celebrity doesnt offer fully accessible tendering. Train itself is accessible, more details search via my name.

Cant comment on shorex options through celebrity as I did these ports with HAL. While officially no options, were able to get quite a load of options in excursions once aboard, eventhough at that moment looking at fully powerchair dependant and max. sitting time of 30 minutes. There are accessible busses, boats etc but it all depends on the tour operators contracted and them and shorex willing or not to go the extra mile or not (for instance shorex calling round to arrange bus etc). All of the options hal came up with were pure going the extra mile, incl switching round boats etc to fit my desired tour times. Did most on my own, but lots of options.

With regards to hoho: the get crowded!!! Oslo for instance can have too many ships to fit comfy. Not all busses are accessible or all equipement always works so allow extra traveltime!!! Having said that, very easy option to mive about and see a lot.

Out and about and think you are "stuck"? Look around for a sec. Many times you arent stuck but need to take another path to avoid stairs or use streets with less steep angles to get to your destination.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I8190 met Tapatalk

Have done all of those, except Olso, twice. Wheelchair accessible tours were completely absent (Cunard), and I've never found one at all on a Celebrity voyage, so your options may be limited. If your son could climb a couple of steps to the coach, the options would be greater.

Stavanger is great for a wheel around. Ho-Ho's were vintage both my trips so couldn't get on with a chair or ever store underneath, but if others have spotted better then that's good news. You can also do the Pulpit Rock fjord trip. Ship's tours tend to be pricey, but wheel 100 yards along the quay and you can just level ramp on to a catermeran with a wide deck.

Olden - not a lot to see unless you can tour. There's a noddy train that goes up to the glacier and can drop you at the little shopping centre on the way back a short, flat push back to the ship. Also, two guys on the quayside doing helicopter flights over the glacier.

Alensund - pretty and some nice architecture but lots of cobbles and poor drop kerbs in places. Rather hilly in places. There's a noddy train there as well, going right up to the viewpoint at the top of the mountain. We enjoyed the sealife museum.

Gerainger - only place I've been unable to get off at but if they now have a floating gangway that's good news. Not much to do in town.

Flam - beautiful! Well worth a push around. There is room to dock one ship, so if you are second to arrive it is tender only. Check the port schedule to see if you have company. If you can get off, the train is wheelchair accessible via a ramp at the back, but a queue develops for tickets so buy in advance if possible. Ship's tour probably twice the price and they may tell you no wheelchairs. Quite a few shops in the village. We did a tour in the mountains which was breathtaking.

Bergen - big place, lots to see. Docking used to be at the port, with the city providing wheelchair buses, which in my experience failed to turn up for collections and we had a massive scrum of chairs and scooters. However, now mooring is at the other end and it's a 10 minute push into town, past quaint old buildings. Lots and lots of shops, big and small. I love the fishmarket, which is pricey but soooooo tasty.

My personal tip is to take the fenicular to the top of the mountain. Wheelchair access is excellent but get there early - we had no problem but by the time we came back down at about 10:45 the queue was 100 yards long. Don't expect to get great photos there if the Chinese are in town - they just stand in front. Ditto for the single disabled toilet - you may need to stand your ground and get a little angry with them if there is a long line for the ladies.

Take waterproofs - Bergen gets 315 days of rain a year.

You've picked well, Norway is probably my favourite destination.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo