Shore excursions for "limited" walkers ? Rome

nannyviv

Shore excursions for "limited" walkers ? Rome & Florence/Pisa

Travelling in May (1st time with Celebrity) from Venice round to Barcelona via Dubrovnik, Istanbul, Naples, Civitavechia, Livorno and Marseilles. Can sort ourselves out in Venice and Dubrovnik (been before), and booking Pompeii from Naples but really struggling for ISTANBUL, ROME AND FLORENCE WITH PISA. The problem is I am NOT wheelchair bound, but do need crutches or sticks to walk any distance over 200m, particularly on hard paving/cobbles etc. I also slow down the further I walk, so keeping up with a tour guide for a full day tour is not practical. However both me, hubby and 12 year old grandson who is coming with us for the first time specifically to see the historic sites, LOVE to see the usual tourist places. Rome and Istanbul present the biggest problem as the things we want to see are spread out across the Cities and we don't think I can walk from one place to the other even if we take a tour which gives us "Free time". We know the train, tram, bus etc is cheaper, but are prepared to pay the price of Ship's transfer services to minimise walking from the Port.

Does anyone have experience using TAXIS for either place - that is if our original Ship's coach takes us to St Peters/Vatican for example, how could we get across town to see Trevi Fountain,Pantheon, Colosseum, Forum ...or can't we do it all in a few hours?:confused:

Similarly in Istanbul - really want to see Topkapi, Blue Mosque, etc. but realise there is quite a lot of walking around these sites, so need to not use up my "walking energy" just getting from from the Ship to the site or one place to the next.

I guess I am really asking for the impossible, I know these are not good venues for those with limited mobility, but we would like to see just a bit more than the "disabled" coach tours the ship offers for our grandson's sake.

I know that I will have to walk to see Leaning Tower and Pisa and to get into Florence, (it says 15 minutes but if anyone knows it is much more would appreciate the nod on that) but have been to Florence before so that is not as vital, if I am worn out by then hubby will take grandson (as they are doing with Pompeii) but really would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Rome and Florence are at least an hour away from cruise ports as I'm sure you are aware. The cost of a ships transfer only option can be expensive and then you have to find a taxi driver who can speak English. If you price up that option for 3 of you you may find a private tour becomes a viable option.

contact private tour companies such as Rome-car-tours rome in limo etc. They charge about 500-600euros per mini van but if you can find other tour mates the cost per person becomes affordable. That will include transfers from port and transport around the cities where the van will be able to negotiate narrow lanes and get you really close to the sites

Istanbul we used KSG also in a minivan-Public transportation recommended if you are fit and healthy but as my husband has walking difficulties we were in a similar position to yourselves

The link at the bottom of my post on NCL spirit describes our trip to ports including Istanbul,rome and Florence

Edited by fabnfortysomething

If a private car is in the realm of possibility for you, it would provide the easiest way to navigate in Rome for someone with limited walking ability. However, it's definitely not cheap. There are several good companies which are frequently recommended on this board.

On the other hand, if you add up the cost of the ship transfer plus taxis around Rome, then factor in the chance for a more enjoyable experience, it may be worth it. (Also keep in mind that just arranging for a taxi from Civitavecchia could run you about as much as pre-arranging for a private car.)

One other thing I'd suggest is not trying to do TOO much. Figure out the things that are most important to you and look at what is possible. For example, the Vatican Museums involve a lot of walking and standing and may be best skipped. Same with Topkapi Palace in Istanbul which is large and quite spread out.

If you decide to pursue the idea of a ship transfer into Rome and then using taxis to get around, post again and some of us can help you with where to find taxi stops, etc. If would also help to know where your particular cruise line shuttles drop off and pick up (I know of at least 3 different locations in Rome used by various shuttles.)

P.S. In Turkey, private tours are less expensive and taxi drivers near the port are notorious for price gouging. This might be another place to arrange something in advance. The ship shuttles in Istanbul tend to drop off at the Grand Bazaar, which is a bit farther from the other sites you'd want to see if walking is difficult for you.

We recently took my mother and father in law to Europe for their first Med cruise (our 4th) and were also challenged on how to get around as she cannot walk for or for very long at all.

We stayed 3 nights in Rome pre cruise and one afternoon we did a golf cart tour. It was really nice for her as they can go where taxis and other forms of transport cannot. Even with a taxi you must walk quite a distance to see the Trevi since the whole area is pedestrian only. They took us right up to the Trevi fountain, the Pantheon and other sites where we then got out and wheeled her in/closer.

It is not cheap but if this is a one shot trip ...... and you want to see these sites it may be worth it.

Thanks for your very helpful reply. We have found a ship tour from Civit. which will take us into Rome, tour outside of Coloseum ( which is one of the grandson's wish list,) then take us by coach over to St Peters (which is one of my wish list). We then have some free time approx 3 hours we think until we meet coach for return to ship, but don't know the pick up point for that return.

So really what we will want is taxi from St Peters back across river to see as many of these as poss:- Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona. Does this sound do-able?

Think our problem in Istanbul may be that our 2nd day is a Sunday...Grand Bazaar is closed...and also that there are quite a few ships on port...this worries me about trying to "find" taxis on the day. Any more advice please?

I probably have more walking problems than you do. I now use a travelscoot scooter when traveling. Although quite "pricey" the scooter has allowed me to continue traveling much longer than I thought I would. I will give you two suggestions, first the cruise ship tours will be on large buses which if you have trouble with steps (I do) become a problem. Second, in Rome and Florence the large buses stopped about a mile from the specific sites we were to visit. Given that distance to walk I would not have made it to the site by the time I needed to be back on the bus.

Therefore we reserve private excursions. Next summer we are taking our grandchildren to Europe for their first trip. We have used Romeinlimo previously and will use then again in Italy. For Istanbul we are using Ekol tours. I hope you have a great time.

A less expensive alternative to the travel scooter is a travel wheelchair, which we've used for my mother for the past five years. It's lightweight, inexpensive (about $150 US, delivered), and allows Mom to be with us without holding us back. We've used it all over Europe and the States with no problems.

Just be aware that the cobblestones in Rome wreck havoc with scooters, regular and travel wheelchairs making the wheelchairs very difficult to push. I used a rollator but walked most of the time in the roadway close to the cars in Rome. My arms and elbows were killing me from the vibration. We had no problem getting a cab from St Peters to the pantheon area and I was able to walk up to the Trevi Fountain/ Spanish Steps area. There is also an electric bus that will take you through that area and get you to where you can get a cab. It requires change in Euro and runs from near the panfish Steps down to the piazza Navonna/ Campo de Fiore Area. You should be able to see it on a transp map. think I remember it was outlined by dots on the map.

When we went RCI offered a tour called "Easy Rome", the write-up of which indicated that it was geared for those who were less mobile. Can't comment on the details since we did not take it but kept running across the description on line.

Thanks Knolmom...this sounds exactly what we plan to do, was just worried about getting taxis in the street.

It's difficult to hail a taxi in the street in Rome, but if your coach tour ends at the Vatican, there's a taxi rank just outside the colonnade around St. Peter's.

Assuming you have 3 hours, you could get a taxi to take you to Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, and Trevi with brief stops, then bring you back to (presumably) where you meet up again with your tour. Just be very sure you leave enough time and know where to be.

• 2 months later...

If I remember correctly from my last visit to Rome the tube/rail line that you pick up for the Vatican/St Peters runs all the way across the city.We used it every day as we stayed by the Colosseum and for a small sum of euro 1.50 your ticket is valid for 75 minutes. From the Colosseum we could get to the spanish steps, Trevi Fountain, Lots in between and finally St Peters. Now Im surmising the boat transfers will drop by St Petes so you could quite easily do this in reverse. The only thing to be aware of is they are very busy, and I mean rammed especially at peak times. We let three go by before we decided that "when in Rome, do as the romans do" and just pushed our way on. We are due there on 12th June which is a thursday so hopefully time it to land in the city about 11.00am. Great value and quick between sights. Some steps at the stations though.