10 dollar a day

GTVCRUISER

July 19,2005,08:20PM

{QUOTE=GTVCRUISER} Can you still add or subtract on the ten dollar a day gratuity, if you like or do not like service? Thanks {QUOTE}

Not exactly. You need a valid reason other than I did not like it enough to provide a minimum tip.

"Both NCL and NCL America have a structured guest satisfaction program on board designed to handle any concerns raised by our guests relating to the service or on board product quickly and efficiently. In almost all cases we are able to come up with a satisfactory solution to any issues which are raised and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise vacation. In the unlikely event we cannot satisfactorily resolve the issue through our guest satisfaction program, guests will be able to adjust the service charge according to the level of inconvenience"

This is the simple question, and the first reply which directly answered the OPs question. For those who may just be joining this thread, and don't care to go all of the way back and read through the ensuing discussions.

Amazing how these things get so far off subject. It is usually interesting to read other people's take on any given situation - regardless of how far off track it goes.

It is equally amazing how some seem to take each and every response personally.

July 19,2005,08:20PM

{QUOTE=GTVCRUISER} Can you still add or subtract on the ten dollar a day gratuity, if you like or do not like service? Thanks {QUOTE}

This is the simple question, and the first reply which directly answered the OPs question. .

That great! Especially it was the first response of Any kind.

-MOnte

This is driving me crazy1 First off NOWHERE did she say that her husband's occupation meant ANYTHING to do with tipping! She mentioned it to the women who was concerned her children weren't eating enough! First one poster calls her "spoiled rotten" and when someone points out that there was no need to name call, he tells them to "grow up" and now you bring it up again! If she had said, "my husband is a doctor so we don't need to tip" I'd agree with you but she didn't! She simply was pointing out that some people don't use all of the services and on other cruise lines, they wouldn't be expected to tip for THOSE services! PERIOD.

I live in Europe 3/4 of the year and we DO tip as well as have a service charge. I have not read where anyone was upset over that (on this thread) nor have I read where one thinks they are entitled to NOT tip. MANY posters feel they would PREFER to tip on there own -- so do I. BUT I doubt ANY of these posters would want to skip out on any tips nor would they have posted knowing that IF they disagree OR dare mention an occupation would cause people to jump on them!

The OP asked a simple questions which was answered and they have moved on -- maybe this thread should too????

I am sorry to disagree with you, I feel she was flaunting the fact that her husband is a doctor and she stays in a suite, I also beleive that OP or anyone else who questions the tipping policy really doesn't like to tip period and 3rd, and I never said people living in or visiting Europe do not tip, I was referring to service charges and why are people who cruise so upset about this policy when it has been the practice in other countries for years. If people are upset about $10 service charge I wonder how they would feel about tipping as well as paying a service charge? Just my opinion and I wasn't attacking her, I simply asked what her husband's occupation had to do with anything. You know as well as I do, the remark about not feeding her kids was a form of sarcasm. NMNita

I am sorry to disagree with you, I feel she was flaunting the fact that her husband is a doctor and she stays in a suite, I also beleive that OP or anyone else who questions the tipping policy really doesn't like to tip period and 3rd, and I never said people living in or visiting Europe do not tip, I was referring to service charges and why are people who cruise so upset about this policy when it has been the practice in other countries for years. If people are upset about $10 service charge I wonder how they would feel about tipping as well as paying a service charge? Just my opinion and I wasn't attacking her, I simply asked what her husband's occupation had to do with anything. You know as well as I do, the remark about not feeding her kids was a form of sarcasm. NMNita

Number one rule when you find yourself in a hole, put down the shovel :D

Aren't there other employees that get part of the service charge that are never seen? People who work in the kitchens, the maintenance guys, laundry, I don't think they have coal shovelers anymore (:-), etc

Yes all get wages but, I think the service charge is acknowledgement for these other 'service' oriented people on board too.

Other may think differently and mainly think of the servers, room stewards and bartenders.

While $40 a day for a family of 4 can add up, in my mind (and only my opinion), I'm on vacation and make enough money to be on the cruise, I can at least be kind to the people who are making my time enjoyable.

Now, the guy who messes with my salad dressing is a whole other story!:eek:

Bless your heart Herewego..... I am sorry that you have run into the few C.C. posters that spend their days bashing others... It is your cruise, your life and your choice... Try to look past these bashers... I have read a lot of comments and postings in the past two months and it is always the same few that choise to be outspoken and bashers...Flame Throwers....

You stated your position correctly and your comments were your opinions which I do agree... Poster where your wish, what you wish and cruise on any ship you please and tip as you feel is appropriate for the situation... Enjoy Cruise Critic... Ignore the outspoken opinions of the few rotten apples...:( as I do..:) It is just their opinions... no more and no less.... Have fun and cruise with your family often and well....

Here is an idea...just include the $10 into your fare and say tips are included...thats way to simple for the flamers..

I agree with this and wish that it's something that ALL the cruise lines would do, but if NCL were to do it on their own ($70 extra on a 7 night cruise), the other cruise lines would "appear" to have a pricing advantage.

-jmo

-Monte

I would never say that - It would never make a difference
you are soooooooooooo right about that. Actually I talk a whole lot and really fast, but am not nearly as outspoken in person, I am just very brave on these boards. LOL : 5 more weeks. NMnita

5 more weeks. NMnita

not exactly :)

It is now Friday 7/29/2005 at 10:41:39 PM

Event: Jewel TransAtlantic

Scheduled For 9/4/2005 11:00:00 AM EDT

1 month 5 days 12 hours 18 minutes 21 seconds or

5 weekends or

37 days or

876 hours (584 waking hours) or

52,578 minutes or

3,154,700 seconds

not exactly :)

It is now Friday 7/29/2005 at 10:41:39 PM

Event: Jewel TransAtlantic

Scheduled For 9/4/2005 11:00:00 AM EDT

1 month 5 days 12 hours 18 minutes 21 seconds or

5 weekends or

37 days or

876 hours (584 waking hours) or

52,578 minutes or

3,154,700 seconds

ok, you are being technical now:we leave here on Aug 28th which is 4 weeks from Sun. That night it's Dallas, Monday, Dallas to London if we don't have trouble getting on the flight: Tues it's on to Poland for 4 nights: Sat we will be in London and Sun you know where we will be.So, it's 5 weeks, 1 day and about 14 hours before we get on the bus. NMNita ps it's still getting close and I am getting really excited. I have so much to do between now and then. The last 4 days before we leave I will have a Travel booth at the county Fair. That alone is a big undertaking. For me time will fly by I think.

Archived