Land tours on Oct 10-24-Mariner Hong Kong to Singapore

Some really interesting new land tours are now posted at Radisson's web sites that reflect the culinary theme of this trip. Any suggestions or feedback from anyone who has taken the culinary tours or any of the others.

Especially in Vietnam and in Bangkok, are we better off using the ship's tours or are there better ones (we do like wine/food themes and events) that you can suggest that we can arrange on our own. We're really afficionados of Vietnamese cooking (Los Angeles has more than 100 restaurants representing every region), and we're a little afraid that what the ship's tours offer will be too mainstream.

Ditto for eating in Hong Kong. Any ideas?

Also,, we'd like to do a war-oriented tour in Vietnam. Any suggestion about a truly outstanding tour for that?

My experience is that RSSC's tours are, to use your term, very mainstream. Even though the cruise may be "culinary," the tours will likely be directed to mainstream American tastes; if you are looking for more authentic cuisine and cultural experiences, RSSC will likely not provide it.

I am unfamiliar with Bangkok.

As to Hong Kong, one possible source is Carely Limousine at the Peninsula Hotel, less than two blocks from the cruise terminal. Edddie (?) at the concierge desk. Contact them as soon as possible and ask for the very best driver-guide. They provided us a tailor-made, off the beaten tourist path day trip the last time we were there - including a wonderful restuarant (I'm trying to recall the name).

As to Saigon, the only source of private arrangements of which I am aware is Saigon Tourist. It is a government owned, well-run company providing English-speaking guides and tour services. Two people, with car and guide, should not be more than $100 or $125 for a day of sightseeing and they customize the itineraries (food not included) When I last checked, several months ago, there was an affiliated US company, Vietnam Travel Express, with an office in Arlington, VA (across from Washington, DC), (703) 243-0313 or (800) 659-6090. www DOT saigon-tourist DOT com and www DOT vietnamtravelexpres DOT com. Both web sites are helpful.

Please take the time to research Saigon carefully, as there are now a number of very fine restaurants (at western hygiene standards). Try Fodor, Frommer, and my personal favorite the Insight Guides. Perhaps Vietnamese restaurateurs in your area can make some specific suggestions as well. While street food looks and smells wonderful, be careful.

As to war-oriented tours, depends on where you are and how long. If you go to DaNang, you can arrange a trip to Hue - not only the Imperial Capital and gorgeous in this right, but the center of the Tet Offensive. I personally do not think that the Cuchi Tunnels (a day trip from Saigon) is worth the effort unless you have a number of days in Saigon. Any day tour of Saigon will include war-related sites as well. Note that the Vietnamese spend little time talking about the war and many do not understand the US fascination with it. If you are interested in other things, please post again and I will be glad to pass along my personal recommendations.

Hope that this helps.

We have arranged for a private tour in Da Nang (stop is actually in Chan May now) through Trails of Indochina. My step father served two tours in Da Nang area so we are going to his old haunts.

Hong Kong we are doing on our own. Hanoi we will probably take the helo instead of the bus. Saigon, have heard good reports on the Cu Chi Tunnel excursion. Rest we might do on our own. Bangkok we of course will be staying ashore; just planning on selecting Radisson excursions. Singapore, we will select a couple of Radisson excursions to complement what we are doing on our own the next day. Our post cruise in Cambodia we booked independently.

In over 70 days on Radisson ships, one area that I think they excell is in the excursion department. We have had only two bad excursions.

See you onboard!

AJ, you mentioned that the Peninsula Hotel is only two blocks from the terminal. We are staying there when we disembark from the Mariner (after the Tokyo-Hong Kong cruise this Fall). Should we take a cab there or arrange for them to pick us up. Thanks in advance, Linda & Larry

Linda and Larry--

My suggestions is that, while it will certainly be more expensive, have Peninsula pick you up at Ocean Terminal where the ship docks. The Hotel can have people get inside the terminal and meet you when you disembark.

To get a cab will require that you leave the Ocean Terminal building itself and make your way through crowds to get to the cab stand. This can be difficult at rush hour or when there are a number of ships in port. Also, take into account the amount of luggage you will have as I do not recall there being any available porters at shipside.

(You must make sure to have the hotel confirm where and when you will be docking for disembarkation because if Radisson decides to change its schedule - and it sometimes does so on its Asia cruises with little advance notice - the ship may dock at one of the industrial ports, not at the Ocean Terminal.)

If you are staying at the Peninsula, two suggestions. First, I would also suggest that you splurge for a tower room. The views are much (!) better than the views from the older, colonial part of the hotel. Second, take advantage of the hotel's afternoon tea, included in the price.

Finally, if anyone is interested, I can cut and paste from a couple of my previous posts with things to do and see in Saigon and Singapore.

AJ

AJ, I definitely would be interested. Although we will generally use Radisson's excursions in Saigon, we will be on our own in Singapore for an additional night (two nights total).

Thanks,

Marc

With some slight editing, here are my suggestions as to Singapore and Saigon.

SINGAPORE. There is plenty to see and do. Here are some of my favorites:

1. The MUST SEE in Singapore. Breakfast with the orangutans at the Singapore Zoo (9:00 am). Not always available so check the Singapore Zoo website. You literally get to eat breakfast with orangutans. An experience like no other. Take lots of film. Sometimes, there is tea (4:00pm) with other animals. Check the website. The zoo, by the way, is one of the best in the world.

2. Night safari. Out by the zoo, after sunset. You get to see nocturnal animals. Again, a pretty unique experience.

3. Orchid garden. If you like orchids, this is the greatest collection in the world. It is set inside the botanical gardens, which is itself worth seeing. There is a very good gift shop (Risis) at the orchid garden as well, but prices are no real bargains.

4. The Raffles Hotel itself, downtown. Refurbished. One of the great colonial hotels in the world. If you want to stay there, it is a great (!) splurge. Check out the shops (including the gourmet shop which has magnificent chocolates), the Long Bar (where the Singapore Sling was invented), and Ah Teng's Bakery (notwithstanding the name, it has wonerful dim sum). Also has very good and reliable antiques stores (expensive) and very good art galleries. One of the greatest tea shops in the world is located along Seah St., one of the streets next to the Hotel.

5. Little India. Just what the name implies. Look specifically to find a place to eat in Little India where you are the only non-South Asian faces.

6. Chinatown. Lots and lots of fun, all kinds of shops. While I don't remember the name, there is a very good barbecue (yes, barbecue) place in Chinatown.

7. Shopping along Orchard Road. Shopping is THE Singapore activity and Orchard Road has all of the high end shops. Great people watching too. Check out a couple of the shopping malls (my favorite is Bugis Plaza). Try to go when they are full of people - Friday and Saturday evenings are the best. It is quite a site.

8. Street food, particularly at the "hawker centers." In fact, food anywhere (usuing your usual cautions) is very good here.

9. The Museums. They are all located fairly close to the Raffles and Orchard Ave. The National Museum is quite good but my favorite is the Museum of Asian Culture (I think that's the name). Exceptional rotating exhibits.

10. Arab St. Several blocks of shops primarily involving Indonesian textiles and other Indonesian articles. Some of the textiles are wonderful, but unless you are looking for a bazaar type shopping experience, I would pass on it.

As for private tours, I have used a private cab and driver to very good advantage. You should be able to get a good car and driver for about Singapore $35.00 hour (about US$22-25 today) through the concierge desks at any good hotel. I have used Raffles for this and they have excellent, knowledgeable drivers available. Send an e-mail to the Raffles hotel for the concierge desk (Sam at the Concierge Desk has been particularly helpful). You should set up a car/driver well in advance; don't wait until you get there.

Saigon

This is a real gem – you are fortunate to be able to go there before the real tourist rush hits (something that is already starting). Saigon (no one calls it Ho Chi Minh City) is a fascinating place.

Center city is a good place to start, and you can use either the Ho Chi Minh monument or the Rex Hotel as a point of reference. Rex, of course, famous from the war. You can walk down Le Loi St. (I believe) to the Ben Thanh Market.

Ben Thanh Market will have everything from lacquer (quite good) to music CDs (mostly pirated, and quality can vary substantially) to clothes (at decent prices) to food stuffs (wonderful variety) to good folk art. I bought a very good suitcase for $55 last year. The merchants will take U.S. dollars in bills of various denominations (none larger than a $20 bill) as they are widely accepted. Vietnamese currency is "dong" and it is now about 15,500-16,000 the dollar. Do not buy food there unless you have an absolutely iron stomach. The best thing is to smell the street food as you walk by.

I understand that there is now a new market across the street from the Rex and it is supposedly very good and will have things Western tourists are interested in.

Make sure to look for an Ao Dai (pronounced “ow yay”), traditional women's clothing of Viet Nam. They can be fitted in the course of a single day. There are English speaking shops next to the Rex. Don't forget the pants to go with the tunic.

Saigon things to see and do:

1. The National Museum. Wonderful historic collections, emphasizes Vietnamese struggles against Chinese colonialism.

2. The MUST SEE in Saigon. At the museum is my all-time favorite attraction in Viet Nam and one of my favorites in the world: The water puppets. DO NOT MISS THE WATER PUPPETS. Rearrange your schedule if need be to see these. The puppets (actually marionettes operated by underwatrer sticks) perform on the surface of the water. Take your video camera and do not sit in the front row - there will be dragons spouting water at each other and at the audience.

3. There is a wonderful children's park next door to the museum.

4. Chinese Temple near the Cathedral. Good if you have nothing else to do with your time but it is like many other Chinese temples elsewhere.

5. Other historic sites include the well-restored Presidential Palace and the building where the U.S. Embassy used to be (remember the helicopters lifting off from the roof). Unless you specifically request it (or want to go out of town to the Cu Chi Tunnels from the war, see below) there is very little about the war that the Vietnamese will emphasize.

6. Cu Chi Tunnels. Only if you have a real interest in the war and are not claustrophobic. They are at a significant distance from the city and you will use up a lot of time going back and forth. I would pass on this unless you have a real interest and are going to be there for at least a couple of days.

Hope that you have a wonderful time. Both Singapore and Saigon are delightful places.

Night safari. Out by the zoo, after sunset. You get to see nocturnal animals. Again, a pretty unique experience.

We've visited many of the same places you will be going and I can't agree more....the Singapore Night Safari is really a fun evening! There isn't much walking involved as you ride around in a tram but it's amazing how the animals come out at night. I'd HIGHLY recommend this.

The Cu Chi Tunnels in Ho Chi Minh City was also very worthwhile. I honestly didn't find them claustophobic as I was expecting. I think it's very interesting for anyone who is old enough to remember the Vietnam War. You need to remember that this is being told from THEIR perspective, not ours. We also enjoyed the water puppets show....very cute and creative, but it wouldn't rank as high on my list.

Archived