Emergency...my mother

flyboyswife

We leave next Saturday. My mother TODAY just decided to look for her passport. She can't find it. I'm beside myself; trip planned months ago.

Can someone refresh me on the rules...she can travel without, right (just not as safe/wise/etc.)? We leave and return to Port Canaveral on the Fantasy (St. Thomas, St. Martin, and Castaway).

#OMG

#deepbreaths

We leave next Saturday. My mother TODAY just decided to look for her passport. She can't find it. I'm beside myself; trip planned months ago.

Can someone refresh me on the rules...she can travel without, right (just not as safe/wise/etc.)? We leave and return to Port Canaveral on the Fantasy (St. Thomas, St. Martin, and Castaway).

#OMG

#deepbreaths

The minimum requirement for a US citizen on a closed loop cruise (beginning and ending in the same US port) is a birth certificate and (for those 16 and over) a government issued photo ID (drivers license/state ID).

Assuming you leave from a return to the same port, its a closed loop cruise and a drivers license and ORIGINAL birth certificate should be ok. The usual caveats about emergencies apply, it seems you understand those.

#OMG

#deepbreaths

There are ways to rush the passport, but it is costly. You can actually hand carry the documentation thru the system if you are close enough to one of the passport offices.

As above, minimum requirements are the certified birth certificate and a government issued photo ID.

I would still check with the cruise ship as to what they will actually require. If they say only a birth certificate is required, ask them to send you an email stating that. Then print the email and take it with you. This is an issue that in fact isn't as clear as it seems so it may be netter to be safe than sorry.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

I would still check with the cruise ship as to what they will actually require. If they say only a birth certificate is required, ask them to send you an email stating that. Then print the email and take it with you. This is an issue that in fact isn't as clear as it seems so it may be netter to be safe than sorry.

Here's what the U.S. government has to say:

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

from http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

No, it is clear, no need to print email

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

for the record

OP gives Alexandria VA as home

they can go into DC and get a passport the same day or renewal, with proper documentation. There may be a fail amount of waiting involved (there when I did it), but it can be done.

OMG I have been there, am having trouble breathing just listening to your story! Last year, the morning we were to get on a plane for family vacay in Canada, I noticed both DDs passports had expired. After a few phone calls to calming relatives (including one who works for Passport Canada) I learned that 1) traveling by land or or sea, and 2) under 16, we would be good with birth certificates. As luck would have it, we were flying within the US and driving into Canada.

I can't count how many times I've checked and rechecked my passport for my upcoming DCL cruise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

for the record

OP gives Alexandria VA as home

they can go into DC and get a passport the same day or renewal, with proper documentation. There may be a fail amount of waiting involved (there when I did it), but it can be done.

There are multiple passport offices in the US where this is possible--Chicago is the closest to me. They are listed on the passport web site. Yes, there is waiting and increased cost to do it this way, but it can be done.

And you guys win. After all this discussion, I finally pulled out our passports to check expiration dates. As I thought, we are good for the next 3 years.

Edited by moki'smommy

I'm a passport freak! I check it every few weeks, and then I pack it first thing into my boarding back pack and then leave it in front of my face for a week on the kitchen table, and then I check it 3 times before we drive away and also have someone else as an extra pair of eyes check. I'd rather leave with NO undies or luggage or ANYTHING than not have my passport/docs! That and Rxs are the ONLY things you can buy at port...