Need your opinion on Spirit please

aSiAnRiCk

Hello, I'm looking into sailing on the Spirit on 05/06/14 out of Venice. I chose this sailing because of its great itinerary for our first European cruise. However, I am a bit concerned if a 12 day cruise on this older ship is too long?

I've sailed on RCCL Majesty of the Seas on a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas and I felt it would be too small on any longer sailing.

Would you say both ships are comparable?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by aSiAnRiCk
typo

I was just on Spirit for two nights from Malaga to Barcelona, just before she went in to her current dry-dock revitalization in Cadiz.

The best part about this ship was the connection you felt to the sea. From the forward outdoor Bier Garten and grill and the traditional cruise ship feel of the relaxing Observatory surrounding the Galaxy of the Stars venue with panoramic sea views to the aft tiered outdoor seating of the Raffles terrace, you really appreciate the feel of a traditional cruise experience. The full promenade is also good for creating that traditional cruise feeling.

While the ship is undergoing a needed re-vitalization right now, they are not doing any major re-fits to my knowledge. While the cabins may be refreshed, they do feel small while functional compared to the latest ships. The bedding was great though and the ship well maintained.

I did not like the aft Stardust Theatre on this ship, nor the noise created while seated in the dining room under this venue during a show. While the aft Windows dining room is great, they never 'allowed' me to be seated in my preferred section on my short cruise. I really enjoyed the 3 combined Asian venues and ate both lunch and dinner there on my sea day.

You also have chosen a cruise that is very port intensive and this should make this smaller vessel attractive for embarkation and debarkation compared to the larger ships.

I was on the new Getaway for her premier sailing just a week prior to boarding the Spirit and I loved both experiences. They were very different experiences though, naturally.

I was very impressed by the Majesty in November and how well they managed short sailings, so I understand you seeking comparison.

We are also on the Spirit for 12 days and liked the idea that it is going in for rehab right now and is small enough to be a quick on/off ship for all the Med stops. We would probably pick it over the Epic for that reason, plus we thought the Asian theme of the ship would be new and different for us, not get old in 12 days.

I have sailed the itinerary twice and on Spirit 5 times. I have not sailed Majesty of the Seas so will not make any comparison.

This particular itinerary is all about the ports and not so much about the ship. It is totally exhausting and the odd sea days are welcome downtime. There is far more to do in the ports than on a 4 day Bahamas run and most people seem to pack their days as full as they can. To that I add that the Spirit does not have the stuff found on the larger and far newer ships. It has some night life but it tends to be more subdued as most people just want to shower, eat and sleep most nights.

The dry dock will change very little that the passenger will see. A bit of new carpet here and there and general tidying her up but no major alterations are being made. The crew are amazing and some of the newer staff brought in to replace losses to Getaway should be getting better with each sailing.

If you want a ship for what the ship offers then maybe Spirit is not for you even though she does offer a lot. If you want a ship where the ports are the most important thing then this is certainly the right ship.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Thank you for all the helpful responses.

Just want to give an update. I booked Grand Mediterranean sailing this September from Barcelona to Venice.

Thanks for pointing out that the ship is ports heavy so pretty much will be used to shower, eat and sleep. And yes, I think the size will be helpful for getting in and out in ports.

I am really looking forward to this trip :)

Hello, I'm looking into sailing on the Spirit on 05/06/14 out of Venice. I chose this sailing because of its great itinerary for our first European cruise. However, I am a bit concerned if a 12 day cruise on this older ship is too long?

I've sailed on RCCL Majesty of the Seas on a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas and I felt it would be too small on any longer sailing.

Would you say both ships are comparable?

Thank you in advance.

The bad news is, if this were a ship in the Bahamas or Caribbean then it would be too long because IMO there isn't much to do at all.

The good news is....this itinerary is AMAZING and the ship works well as a floating hotel. You won't miss any bells & whistles because you'll be so excited and exhausted each day.

We really enjoyed the uniqueness of the Spirit. Loved the multi-tiered decks at the back of the ship. The one drawback was the aft theater (at the time we were on it, the theater was called Moulin Rouge, but it might be called Stardust now).

But I would sail on her again in a heartbeat!