Tips

Hello group.

This is my first post, so I hope I'm not violating any rule.

I was talking to one of the bar tenders on the Serenade, and was told that starting last Wednesday any additional tip added to a bar receipt was being incorporated into the employee's base salary and not being given to the employee. In other words, the company was stealing the tips. I hope this isn't the case, but the bar tender seemed pleased with a cash tip. If this is the case, in the future I will decline all automatic gratuities and tip with cash.

Hello group.

I was talking to one of the bar tenders on the Serenade, and was told that starting last Wednesday any additional tip added to a bar receipt was being incorporated into the employee's base salary and not being given to the employee. In other words, the company was stealing the tips. I hope this isn't the case, but the bar tender seemed pleased with a cash tip. If this is the case, in the future I will decline all automatic gratuities and tip with cash.

If the extra tip is being incorporated into his base salary then he would be receiving it. :confused: (Unless I am missing something here).

But I also am suspicious of this post.....

Hello group.

Dh was talking with a bar server back about 2 years ago and that's how it worked then too. Any tip left additionally on the account is shared among all bar servers on the ship. Cash tips are shared among all the bar servers working that particular bar during that cruise.

Hello group.

As I former waitress / bar tender I can tell you ALL servers in every capacity are happier with a cash tip instead of a credit card one :)

Dh was talking with a bar server back about 2 years ago and that's how it worked then too. Any tip left additionally on the account is shared among all bar servers on the ship. Cash tips are shared among all the bar servers working that particular bar during that cruise.

...but the bartenders are still receiving it and the company is not "stealing the tips" as the OP suggests.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

It's good to be skeptical, in fact I'm a bit skeptical myself since I don't know anything about the pay structure on a cruise ship. What he server told me was that on the last payday he received only his contrasted wage. On previous paydays he received his contracted wage plus extra money from his tips. The explanation was that the additional tip money was being used to subsidize his wages. This might be a good thing if this practice lowered the base wages to allow hiring additional staff or keeping the present staffing levels. This also might be done to allow higher returns to stockholders. My only point is that if this is true then guests should know that the additional tip is going to RCCL and not the employee. Even in this country I always tip in cash to ensure the server receives the money. What he does with it is none of my concern.

I just got off the Serenade as well and heard a fellow cruiser say the same thing (I think at lunch in the MDR?) - it sounded a little fishy to me as well because, like P&C4/16/67 mentioned I was under the impression that additional tips were pooled.

Not to say you may have been talking to a bad egg who was trying to squeeze a little extra cash tip out of you, but I noticed what seemed to be a higher percentage of discontented staff onboard Serenade than on the other ships I've been on in the past - more than a few mentioned they hoped to transfer off ASAP, a server who gave a truly spectacularly confusing explanation of what my gut says was an upcharge at Rita's, a downright surly Logo Shop employee, trash being left around in the Solarium. I understand that cruise ship employees are people too, but it really seemed like there were more than a few staff there who were just not happy.

Guest maddycat

I don't believe everything that I'm told by any server about tips. On one of our recent cruises one of the servers in the diamond event told my husband that only about 10% of the passengers who go to the diamond event tip. We made it a point to watch what went on the last night of the cruise. From what we could see, it might have been 10% of the passengers who did not tip......90% did tip. Some of the servers play you.

Edited by maddycat

OMG another tipping post! It's not my concern how tips are distributed or what RCI employees are paid. I've never gone into any business and asked that question.

BTW on most ships the shops and spa are rented space, and people who work them are not RCI employees.

OMG another tipping post! It's not my concern how tips are distributed or what RCI employees are paid. I've never gone into any business and asked that question.

BTW on most ships the shops and spa are rented space, and people who work them are not RCI employees.

It might be not be your business, which I fully respect but some people are interested and have a right to discuss it. I'm sure you'll agree that they do.

It made me laugh that you say it's not your business but still get involved on the tipping thread. :-)