Serenade of the Seas Review

We also were on the 1/18 sailing with Lacruiser. We thought embarkation and debarkation was very efficient. We got to the terminal at around 10:30 and waited about 1 hour to board (which was expected). We needed to return our rental car by 9:30 am. Rooms were available by 1:00. We disembarked later at around 9:00 am and walked right off the ship.

We also sailed on the Serenade Jan 2013 in the Med. We thought the food was better on this sailing (temps were better - some of our food was lukewarm in the MDR and WJ in the Med.) Staff was good and we enjoyed the entertainment. The CD was okay but not our favorite but everyone has different opinions. Guest services was okay. We liked not having to check out towels. Ship was clean. We are in our early 50's and most of the cruisers were our age or older.

We like this size of ship but after being on larger ships with our older children they would be bored on this size of ship.

FWIW the CD you may have had in Jan 2013 was probably at least 1 CD ago. Topi Ylonen was the CD on this most recent cruise and it was the last cruise of his contract. He's rotated out and will be taking over Legend when he returns from vacation.

Lhz, I didn't write about the ports, because, honestly, they were not my favorite.

We had a People to People tour scheduled for Nassau, but, when we showed up at the Tourism office, our volunteer tour guide had an unexpected work emergency and couldn't come. I guess that's to be expected once in awhile when you're dealing with tourists. We paid a nice gentleman to give us an island tour. It was okay, and we ended at Atlantis, where we wandered for a little bit before returning to the ship. It was an okay day.

We liked Key West a little more. It was a little too cool for water sports that day, so we did the City View hop on hop off trolley tour. It was fun. We were the only ones to get off at White St. Pier (Stop #4), and it was our favorite. There was a small animal refuge one direction and a botanical garden the other direction. Just past the garden was the beach, where we dipped our toes before heading back to the trolley. We got off at Stop 5 (Southernmost point) and walked to Stop 6. There were a lot of people waiting at Stop 5. It was easier and more fun to just walk up Duval St. and catch it at the next stop. We then rode to the next stop, got off, and just walked around until we were tired. We did, of course, sample the Key Lime Pie also.

Thanks so much for the information! We may stay on the ship in Nassau based on the recommendations here.

Also was on the SOS cruise out of NOLA on Jan 25. All in all - a good cruise. Weather was nice almost everyday but one, and even that was not a total loss. MDR food was very good although the ability to order even a glass of wine was very disorganized at our table. Maybe more the fault of our waiter that RCL, but have to admit that Celebrity excelled with their dinner wine service on the Summit back in 2010. Key West and Coco Cay were the best stops. Would have enjoyed a longer stop at Key West. It was shorter by about two hours than when the cruise itinerary was first listed last year when we booked. Nassau was a bit crazy and hectic in the immediate downtown area, but then we had not planned to do much while there. Coco Cay was very relaxing. The unplanned chance to enjoy the River Cruise into NOLA during daylight was an unexpected treat, although it did present a little stress about making our flight (which we did in plenty of time) and also led, I imagine, to the mess in disembarkation (the worst on any cruise that I have been on).

Now a question/comment. I found the music/sound system in some places extremely loud - especially in the centrum, even when just one of the cruise staff was speaking with a mike. I can understand how this would be a problem for cabins near that central space. I understand the desire to have an upbeat feel to the entertainment, but I really could not believe how some people could even stand being so close to the speakers. I have been on other cruise lines and know this is common but it seemed particularly bad on this Serenade cruise. Just curious if anyone else had this observation. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but it seems that the entertainment could be just as enjoyable if they TURNED IT DOWN A BIT!

OP, mind if I ask about the gym? Did you get up there, use the equipment? Actually anyone can answer this, please - wondering if it is similar or identical to Jewel's gym with treadmills all across the front and if they were in working order.

Thanks. :)

The gym is pretty nice. the treadmills and machines line the front of the fitness center. the lifting equip are behind these machines on both sides, with the dumbbells on the left and machines on the right. Not a lot of people using the machines when I was up there, but most likely due to the older age of most cruisers.

Serenade of the Seas Jan. 25, 2014

Our cruise had electrical issues in the engine on the last night, and we are 3 hours late into New Orleans, so I figured that I would take the time to write a cruise review while it is fresh in my mind.

The ship itself is probably one of the prettiest we have seen. The shape is interesting, with the glass elevators protruding. The room was small, especially the shower, but there was plenty of storage. Our cabin steward was terrific, and we had towel animals left most evenings. The bed was comfortable. The best feature of the ship IMO was the Solarium. It was especially nice to enjoy during the cooler weather. However, it was very busy.

The food was excellent. We are not picky, and could always find something fun and new to try. We started trying more than one of the appetizers later in the week. There was lobster tail and shrimp on the second formal night (Day 6). My very favorite food was, strangely enough, the rolls with the pumpkin seeds on top. Our asst. waiter learned quickly to bring extra pumpkin seed rolls for our table, as everyone loved them. We tried Chops and Rita’s Cantina as well as the MDR. They were both good. I had low expectations for Rita’s, after reading such negative comments. We just got quesadillas $3.50, guacamole and chips $~3, and margaritas. I thought it was definitely better than Taco Bell, as some commented. Not excellent, but good. The chips were fresh, but not warm. It was a fun change. Chops costs $30/person extra. We went there because it was a perk from our TA. The steak was good, green beans even better, and the mudslide yummy. The best dessert, however, in my opinion, was in the MDR on the last evening (Portobello menu). It was a walnut tart. It was candied walnuts in a flaky crust with a smidgen of vanilla ice cream. Too bad it wasn’t served warm, but it was excellent as it was. My other favorite thing, foodwise, was the Tutti Frutti salad bar in the MDR at lunch. The salad bar has so many options to choose from (prosciutto, shrimp, olives, roasted peppers, many cheeses, etc.)

The shows- we saw all of the main shows, and appreciated each of them. The comedians were especially good. We also liked to listen to the different musicians. My favorite was the guitar player. However, he was not playing the last two days, so he may have left the ship. There was one band, called Island something, that was not nearly up to par with the other musicians on board. There are two aerial shows in the centrum. They are short, and you have to get there early to get a good seat. The first one is best seen from decks 4-6. The second can be seen from higher decks also. If you find a chair, make sure that you can see the upper part of the atrium from where you are sitting. Topy, the cruise director was good. There were slide shows with funny pictures before each main show. Another evening they showed a film of behind the scenes with the dancers-very interesting. There was a nice variety of offerings from dance classes to karaoke, belly flop contest, love and marriage, etc. If you are planning a cruise on Serenade of the Seas and like to dress for the theme nights, they had 70’s, country & western,

The weather was beautiful for the most part, and we loved Coco Cay! The hammocks are wonderful! Would love to bottle a couple of hours there and save it for a week or so after we get back home! The snorkeling was decent on Coco Cay, but you have to swim out to find the reef. I saw 3 huge stingrays and a lot of fish. The coral itself was not that great.

An observation that we made on this trip that I haven’t seen commented on before was the age of the passengers. This ship does not have some of the options that the bigger ships offer for children. There were very few children onboard. This was a plus from my perspective. Many older people, more on par with Holland America. Just an observation, not sure if it’s usually like this or more this particular sailing.

Overall it was a great cruise. Everyone in our group agreed that they would sail on the Serenade of the Seas again.

Will be doing a B2B on her in 2015, can't wait!....K.O.:)

Langley, I didn't work out, but my husband did. He was satisfied. The machines looked nice, and the treadmills and ellipticals looked like they would offer an incredible view of the sea. Unfortunately, if you are 5'7" or taller, you were really looking at the blinds just above the windows most of the time. Disappointing.

I just walked the deck and the stairs!:)

The gym is pretty nice...

Langley, I didn't work out, but my husband did. He was satisfied. The machines looked nice, and the treadmills and ellipticals looked like they would offer an incredible view of the sea.

Thanks, both. Yes, the views are incredible. I used the treadmill on Jewel when it was too windy to walk on the track on deck. Nice to get there first thing, have your workout, and then be done with it for the day. :D

Thanks for the review - have been watching for a recent one - we are on the ship also in late March - can't wait especially with all the snow in NJ!!

Do you recall the order of the menu's? Just trying to figure out what nights to do the specialty restaurants. They usually keep the same flow from cruise to cruise.

You can walk all the way around the ship on Deck 5. You will have a few stairs going towards the heli pad. This is where I usually walked when it wasn't too windy. Very quiet. I believe you walk 3 (?) times around the track for a mile on the upper pool deck.

Which decks can you walk around outside?

As sunandsnow noted, Deck 5 for the promenade deck. There's also the jogging track on Deck 12.

Does anyone have copies of the daily paper (not sure what Royal carib calls theres) from your recent cruise you want to scan & share:p.

Would be greatly appreciated:)

I've got all mine and can scan/upload them tomorrow.

As sunandsnow noted, Deck 5 for the promenade deck. There's also the jogging track on Deck 12.

I've got all mine and can scan/upload them tomorrow.

Thank you and sunandsnow for the answer.

Wooowhoooo, so psyched to see them. Thank you for taking the time to do that.:D

They're now uploaded at https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_EDV-ZlSFQ4NzloRjNwUkp3czQ/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know if anybody has any problems viewing them. Apologies in advance for the B&W scan.

Thank you, they read very clear. Perfect, thank you. Now I know what I'll be doing tonight & tomorrow night.

Gotta go do some reading now........so excited.:D

We also cruised on the SOS 1/25/14 - a beautiful ship! My only complaint was in the MDR - the tables were so close together that the waiters couldn't get between the chairs. Have never been on an RCCL ship that felt so cramped in the MDR.

We had balcony cabin 8102 right off the Centrum on the portside hump. We never heard noise from the Centrum area. At night, someone would close the door to the cabin hallways, but even with the door open we never heard a thing. Maybe the elevators blocked the noise from the Centrum. By the way, this is a great balcony - balcony was 16 ft deep and very private.

We also cruised on the SOS 1/25/14 - a beautiful ship! My only complaint was in the MDR - the tables were so close together that the waiters couldn't get between the chairs. Have never been on an RCCL ship that felt so cramped in the MDR.

We had balcony cabin 8102 right off the Centrum on the portside hump. We never heard noise from the Centrum area. At night, someone would close the door to the cabin hallways, but even with the door open we never heard a thing. Maybe the elevators blocked the noise from the Centrum. By the way, this is a great balcony - balcony was 16 ft deep and very private.

You're not the only person to say this that we spoke to and it was definitely tight quarters in there!

We also had the problem of tight quarters in the MDR on the 1/25/14 cruise. My wife was seated next to the service aisle and she had her chair bumped several times by carts and my chair was close to the table behind me and their waiter kept shoving against my chair as he squeezed by.

Also was on the SOS cruise out of NOLA on Jan 25. All in all - a good cruise. Weather was nice almost everyday but one, and even that was not a total loss. MDR food was very good although the ability to order even a glass of wine was very disorganized at our table. Maybe more the fault of our waiter that RCL, but have to admit that Celebrity excelled with their dinner wine service on the Summit back in 2010. Key West and Coco Cay were the best stops. Would have enjoyed a longer stop at Key West. It was shorter by about two hours than when the cruise itinerary was first listed last year when we booked. Nassau was a bit crazy and hectic in the immediate downtown area, but then we had not planned to do much while there. Coco Cay was very relaxing. The unplanned chance to enjoy the River Cruise into NOLA during daylight was an unexpected treat, although it did present a little stress about making our flight (which we did in plenty of time) and also led, I imagine, to the mess in disembarkation (the worst on any cruise that I have been on).

Now a question/comment. I found the music/sound system in some places extremely loud - especially in the centrum, even when just one of the cruise staff was speaking with a mike. I can understand how this would be a problem for cabins near that central space. I understand the desire to have an upbeat feel to the entertainment, but I really could not believe how some people could even stand being so close to the speakers. I have been on other cruise lines and know this is common but it seemed particularly bad on this Serenade cruise. Just curious if anyone else had this observation. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but it seems that the entertainment could be just as enjoyable if they TURNED IT DOWN A BIT!

We did the transatlantic back to NOLA on the Serenade in November and the extreme volume of the music in the Centrum was one of the few complaints that we had. We mentioned it to staff and on our comment card, but it appears that the issue has not been addressed. Other than that, we loved the Serenade.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Few more questions,

Did anyone play bingo. How much do there cards run?

They have an outdoor movie screen, but I don't see in the compass that they show scheduled movies on it . Wondering if they show any evening movies under the stars? Popcorn?

Do they have a separate pizza place or is it in the Windjammer? 24 hrs?

Did anyone take a tour in New Orleans pre cruise that they liked and recommend?

thanks