Solos... what's your opinion?

Sell one of your pretty sparkly diamonds! I'll take the heart one in the middle. :)

Kidding. I don't want to throw my money away either. This truly is a good issue to discuss.

OK, I got your point and deleted the diamonds from my signature. I don't have any diamonds in real life.

Edited to say, that's not true. I have a tanzanite ring with tiny diamonds around it.

Edited by Mystaken

OK, I got your point and deleted the diamonds from my signature. I don't have any diamonds in real life.

Edited to say, that's not true. I have a tanzanite ring with tiny diamonds around it.

Hey...No! Put the diamonds back! Please! Bye the way, tanzanite is much more valuable than diamonds!

Edited by Robinola
type0

How long do you all think it will take before RCCL realizes that the lack of reasonable pricing for solos will affect their bottom line?

That is exactly the point. If it effects revenue they will change, if not they won't. I was a solo traveler on the Serenade TA in November. The captain said that all the cabins were taken but they only sailed with about 2000 passengers instead of 2500 due mostly to "the large amount of solos onboard", and the lack of children.

Did RCCL lose money because of this mix? Could they have sold more cabins at double occupancy? I don't know. But if the answers are yes, you can rest assurred that RCCL will do nothing to encourage solo cruisers again until they are really really desperate.

I cruised with HAL in 2000 - still getting endless things in the mail. Out of curiosity I phoned today to ask what was there policy about solo supplement - answer was 200% .

Yes, the standard is 200%, but most HAL cruises have a much lower single supplement.

Yes, the standard is 200%, but most HAL cruises have a much lower single supplement.

Yes. HAL pricing is all over the place based on capacity. I have not sailed with them for a few years and I just got a solo offer this week and the supplement varied from 132% to 180% with not a single cruise on the offer hitting 200%.

HAL would compete more directly with Celebrity for me. I do not think anyone has mentioned, but RCCL's Celebrity is still running offers from 160% to 180% as well.

Would it cause less frustration if a room was listed as $1000 and not $500 with a "based on double occupancy" qualifier.

Are there other industries that use this slightly deceptive method of advertising a price to make the price appear lower than what it really is going to be?

I find it similar to food packages that state "100 Calories" in a large font on the box, then in a small font they say "per serving", then in the Nutrition Information fine print they list servings per container = 5. :eek:

I love the Azamara line, and Seaborn, they both offer 125% on some cruises - or they did in past - not on all cruises - you have to wait and not book as the new lineup comes out - but discounts happen 6 to 8 months prior to cruising.

Think the big ships will always fill up - a family of 4 in a cabin pay more than a solo - that is buisness. Unfortunaly, we are not the best value for them. Mind, I always buy my fair share of wine/special dinners/massages/hair treatments/spatreatments - not stuff families can take the time/money to do as often. On out trips - 30 people on a bus is still 30 people on a bus -solo or not. Find I spend more $ when I travel solo, than when I take my family. And I may be solo, but book 2 other cabins for family, or a suite somtimes.

Unfortunaly, we do not like change, and my guess is that they feel we will stop complaining and just accept it in time.

Maybe the cruiselines should consider that if they reduce the supplement, solos would have more money to spend at the spa, excursions, and other ship stuff.

It could really work out well for both parties.

Barb, Thanks, you hit the nail on the head!!!!

I'm a solo cruiser, and no question, in this instance, I'd choose Carnival. I search that big online TA for a lower single supplement, and if nothing is available, I book with NCL since their studio and lounge set up makes solos feel somewhat special at 150%.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by mrobstad

I have cruised NCL a few times, but just don't particularly care for them. They are beneath Carnival to me, if Carnival has a cruise with ports I really like and a great single supplement, would sail with them again , but would much rather sail RCCL with a good single supp.

Barb, Thanks, you hit the nail on the head!!!!

I do spend money on excursions, drinks, store purchases, photos etc - not someone who never spends a penny aboard. Just booked another cruise yesterday - with the new - always 200% - I won't be cruising as often as I want too.

Maybe the cruiselines should consider that if they reduce the supplement, solos would have more money to spend at the spa, excursions, and other ship stuff.

It could really work out well for both parties.

Sometimes companies, and their bean counters, are a bit short sighted. They will snap up a dollar today even if it is going to cost them two dollars tomorrow.

For solos, take a look at some of the european river cruises. Yes you have to consider air fare, but the cruise lines offer the same airfare deals as Choice Air. For example, on one 14 day river cruise thru Germany, the normal per person rate was $3500 (all cabins have windows or balconies), the single surcharge was $750, airfare for 2 one way tickets was about $1000. Everything is included in the cruise except for a few add on tours. Value wise this a great deal, so I am considering it. The deal is even better for last minute (2 months in advance).

And many of the land tour companies have no single surcharges. I am doing a 14 day Glacier/Canadian Rockies land tour in August for about $175/day.

News flash to all of the big cruise lines - we have other options, we are not tied to what you offer.

I haven't been able to see good river cruise rates for solos - what line? Have taken one bus trip in Europe - still paid quite a high single rate and was an "oddity" by being solo and did not feel part of the couple group.

we are not allowed to post the name of travel companies, but the one I use is "great round shape travel", try googling the synonyms of that :-). I am going on a 2 week land tour of Glacier/Canadian Rockies in August, no single surcharges on any of their land tours, and I've met many solos who have done them and say they felt very welcome and had a great time. That company, and most of the other large ones, have the low single surcharge for river cruises, and I just got an email listing many fall river cruises that the single surcharge will be waived. So there are many other travel options out there for singles.

I realize that it's ALWAYS about the money. But I wonder if we're missing something here. I mean, as a solo cruiser, I bet I spend way more than a couple does on their cruise, maybe even more than a family. I buy things like perfume from their perfume store, makeup, souveniers. I have bought a pink tourmaline gold ring for myself. I even bought a gucci watch one year on board. I don't have to care for a family. So I am good to myself on MY VACATION. I buy beach towels, tshirts, you name it! So, I don't get it.