First time on a cruise. Any help would be appreciated.

mom_4_ever

My husband and I are going on our first cruise. We are going on the Celebrity Summit Feb. 22nd - March 1st. Flying to San Juan, Puerto Rico, stopping at ports in Bridgetown, Barbados; Castries, St. Lucia; St. John's, Antigua; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas. We are on the sky deck?

Is there anyone sailing on this cruise? I would like any useful/helpful tips, excursions...anything would be helpful about the ship itself and the islands. :) I am new to this site and this is my first post. Thanks for your help.

Welcome to Cruise Critic --

For reviews of the ship, there is an extensive section of Cruise Critic with member reviews, so head there and read what others have written.

To find others on your cruise, go to the Roll Call section, find your ship and sail date and you will see what has already been posted.

You will find lots of information on the Destinations here on Cruise Critic, too.

It will be helpful if you tell people what you like, what you are interested in, so they can give specific advice about shore excursions and what to do on the islands. If you're not into snorkeling, for instance, there's no reason to point you in the direction of the various snorkeling options.

Enjoy your cruise!

My husband and I are going on our first cruise. We are going on the Celebrity Summit Feb. 22nd - March 1st. Flying to San Juan, Puerto Rico, stopping at ports in Bridgetown, Barbados; Castries, St. Lucia; St. John's, Antigua; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas. We are on the sky deck?

Is there anyone sailing on this cruise? I would like any useful/helpful tips, excursions...anything would be helpful about the ship itself and the islands. :) I am new to this site and this is my first post. Thanks for your help.

Never been on the Summit but have been to those islands at least 5 times:

A couple of ideas: St. Marten, go to Orient Beach, walk to cab stand, grab a van, rent some chairs and have lunch, then cab back to ship, very easy to do on your own. Antigua, our best tour was the Segway tour, check it out online. Barbados, great lunch at Waterfront Cafe, cheap cab ride to town, shop, then lunch

Hope this helps

Hope this helps

You should get great ideas from your roll call.

Another tip - I went on this itinerary a few years ago. I found out I did not like a 7 day cruise that was that port intensive. That being said we did love it and had a good time.

For St. Lucia - see if your roll call has a group going with Cosol Tours ande join in. When I went there was a group. He does a great tour of the island. We really enjoyed it alot. You do end up at a beach but there wasn't much time there. Glad we hadn't rented a car and navigated that island. Lots of driving and curves getting to go past the Pitons.

You could also probably look up Cosol tours on tripadvisor

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to the world of cruising!

My very, very strong suggestion is to NOT spend too much time here! Read a little bit of information and definitely check in with your roll call, but allow yourself to have lots of surprises when you get onboard the ship.

A lot of people book a cruise then read a lot of negative information here and they let it worry them. Don't let the negative nellies scare you. Cruises are wonderful. Celebrity will take good care of you. :)

Here's my advice: Take all the complaints and criticism on these threads and in the reviews with a grain of salt.

A couple of years ago, my wife and I booked our first cruise (even though we live in South Florida where it's very pretty convenient to cruise). Soon after booking, I found this site and starting reading the posts and reviews. While I got invaluable information from the majority of posters, unfortunately, I became fixated by the very vocal minority of curmudgeons that also post here frequently.

For the next couple of months prior to our cruise, based on all the petty complaints by the few, I decided I was not going to have a good time. Fortunately, the cruise ended up being nothing like the experience described by the vocal curmudgeons. We ended up having a great time and have been on four more cruises since.

Now, all the silly posts about obnoxious kids, declining service, inedible food, ear-damaging music, improperly-dressed passengers, unsanitary conditions, and embarkation/debarkation nightmares just make me laugh. Just remember, certain people just love to complain about the most trivial and insignificant issues.

Your first cruise...you're gonna love it!

Highly recommend...Babrbados snorkel, swim with the turtles and beach break...for the beach alone......beautiful water and the softest sand...loved it! Booked it through the cruise.

For St. Maarten, we took a cab to the French side, did some shopping in town then took another cab to Orient beach. Traffic can be bad and it took awhile to get over there. This really cut down on beach time, but it was our first time to the island. Next time we would just take a cab or ferry to Maho beach (on the Dutch side, much closer to port). Plus I want to see the planes from the beach. :cool:

Another tip, on embarkation day, eat lunch in Bistro on 5. Much less crowded (usually) than the buffet.

Enjoy your cruise! It likely won't be your last.:D

Edited by shoelover536

Welcome to CC. I would add: If you've never been to Puerto Rico, fly in several days early. Enjoy Old San Juan for it's history and culture. Plan to arrive at the ship somewhat early to get familiar with the ship and it's amenities.

Great ports on this itinerary. A lot of nice beaches and excellent duty-free shopping in St. Thomas.

Enjoy!

How exciting!

DH and I are doing the same ship/itinerary but we are embarking this Saturday, the 8th!! I am so excited I can hardly stand it!

This will be our second cruise, but our first on Celebrity. Like you, I have been looking for lots of tips and suggestions.

This thread might be helpful as far as the ship is concerned... It is a compilation of tips and suggestions and "favorites", but not everything will be relevant for the Summit.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1826925

And as far as the ports go... I haven't been to them yet but this is what we have planned so far...

Barbados... beach day (Grab a cab head to the beach, have lunch somewhere local (maybe Cuz's Fish Shack), maybe do a little shopping, site-seeing.)

St. Lucia... I think we are booking with Joe Know's Tours. We didn't want to be in a bus all day, and this gets awesome reviews!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147342-d1073082-Reviews-or10-Joe_Knows_Tours-St_Lucia.html#REVIEWS

Antigua... (this will be our 20th anniversary!) We have booked a private tour through Antigua VIP Tours. Again, excellent reviews!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147243-d2097199-Reviews-Antigua_V_I_P_Tours-St_John_s_Saint_John_Parish_Antigua_Antigua_and_Barbuda.html

St. Maarten... Beach day. Probably Orient Beach. Maybe head to Marigot for a little shopping, site-seeing.

St. Thomas... (Valentine's Day!) We booked a sailing excursion through Simplicity Charters. Up to 6 people, maximum, on a sailboat going from beach to beach. Sounds like heaven!!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147404-d1108715-Reviews-Simplicity_Charters-St_Thomas_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html

Anyway... hope this helps a little bit.

Now I am frantically trying to figure out what to pack, get my hair/nails done, get the kids/dog/house cared for...

In 3 days I'll be getting on a plane... :D

I've been to St. Martin/St.Maarten several times but the best excursion is through Capt. Bob Cass and Soualiga Tours.

http://www.soualigadestinations.com/soualiga_destinations/Welcome.html

Captain Bob Cass '' The Great '' (bcass1111@gmail.com)”

The speedboats hold only 10 guests and the the captain caters to every request. When we did this tour, we didn't get Capt Bob but he was on the other boat and was with us the entire day. We did this trip two years ago and had "Fab" as our captain. They will take to you to several remote beaches where you will be able to swim and relax. Beverages are available all day on the boat. The tour also included an island lunch.

You have to check out the website and Trip Advisor. The pictures and reviews will be convincing enough!

I loved Trunk Bay on St John. That is the island next to St Thomas. Looks so remote and away from everything. Not at all like a beach resort where you have to rent chairs.

I also loved Marigot on St Marten. I did not like Orient but I am in the minority. It is more the beach resort type and you have to rent chairs. You cannot lay your towel on the sand. If you have kids going with you, please know that Orient is a topless beach (French) and the very right side of the beach (while looking out to the ocean) is a nude beach.

Maho is one the Dutch side. Very cool seeing the planes take off and land. But be careful of the sand blowing when a plane takes off. Also there is hardly any shade at this beach but a big bar off to the left. Very lively scene here.

Edited by whataboutport

We've not only done this cruise quite a few times but we have been to many of the islands on land trips.

If you are more interested in history than beaches Antigua and Barbados are terrific.

A stern warning........... traffic on St. Maarten (8 trips) and St. Thomas (probably 15 or more) is horrendous in the afternoon. For your first visit I recommend that you be back on the pier at least an hour before sail away. If you are enjoying Maho or Orient beach or any of the beaches in St. Thomas and you notice the crowds thinning you should grab your things and run for a cab.

Everyone else will give you suggestions on the islands just wanted to make your life a little easier. Enjoy your FIRST cruise.

We've not only done this cruise quite a few times but we have been to many of the islands on land trips.

If you are more interested in history than beaches Antigua and Barbados are terrific.

A stern warning........... traffic on St. Maarten (8 trips) and St. Thomas (probably 15 or more) is horrendous in the afternoon. For your first visit I recommend that you be back on the pier at least an hour before sail away. If you are enjoying Maho or Orient beach or any of the beaches in St. Thomas and you notice the crowds thinning you should grab your things and run for a cab.

Everyone else will give you suggestions on the islands just wanted to make your life a little easier. Enjoy your FIRST cruise.

I've done port intensive southern itineraries a few times. here's a tip specific to that angle: alternate your excursions so that one day might be busy and then the next relaxing. In other words, go touring, hiking and shopping followed by a day at the beach. No need to try to see and do everything - you can always return later for another cruise or a land stay. Just don't wear yourself out so that you'll feel like you need another vacation as soon as you get home. Relax and enjoy!

Here's my advice: Take all the complaints and criticism on these threads and in the reviews with a grain of salt.

A couple of years ago, my wife and I booked our first cruise (even though we live in South Florida where it's very pretty convenient to cruise). Soon after booking, I found this site and starting reading the posts and reviews. While I got invaluable information from the majority of posters, unfortunately, I became fixated by the very vocal minority of curmudgeons that also post here frequently.

For the next couple of months prior to our cruise, based on all the petty complaints by the few, I decided I was not going to have a good time. Fortunately, the cruise ended up being nothing like the experience described by the vocal curmudgeons. We ended up having a great time and have been on four more cruises since.

Now, all the silly posts about obnoxious kids, declining service, inedible food, ear-damaging music, improperly-dressed passengers, unsanitary conditions, and embarkation/debarkation nightmares just make me laugh. Just remember, certain people just love to complain about the most trivial and insignificant issues.

Well said!!!!!

Do not miss the view of the Pitons in St-Lucie. The best view is from the sea and I strongly recommend a catamaran tour.

We took the Celebrity tour that started by a bus circuit and a visit to a botanical garden; it was very beautiful and we had nice views at some of the photo spots but the long bus ride in hilly narrow roads was not very comfortable. The return by catamaran was much more pleasant and beautiful. A longer catamaran tour with some scuba diving or beach stop and without the bus portion would have been more enjoyable.

Many tours are available in St-Lucie; choose the one that fits your preferences but do not miss the view of the Pitons.