Which cruise line for Alaksa did YOU choose and WHY?

01Sweetpea

Yes, that's true if you want to pay double or even triple than what you can do on your own, and of course, not having about 100 or so other people every step of the way.

We took a one-way from Vancouver to Whittier, rented a car in Anchorage for 5 days and had a magnificent time. Spent a day in Denali on the regular bus tour, omigosh so awesome. I've got pics of sooooooo many animals once you get past the first 20 miles or so. Had a grizzly scratching his back on the gravel right IN FRONT of our bus.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1453349692012849331IQEoSf

I totally agree with independent touring. We have traveled to many countries and this will be our first organized land tour.

To clarify. I was agreeing that the combination of land (independent or not) and sea gave the best of both worlds

We chose HAL Oosterdam because it fit our time constraints, we are only going to be in the U.S for 3 weeks at the beginning of May so we only had 5 or 6 options. I liked what I'd heard about HAL on these boards and word of mouth. We were tossing up between that one and Celebrity Mercury which was USD$1000 more so HAL it was.

We chose HAL Oosterdam because it fit our time constraints, we are only going to be in the U.S for 3 weeks at the beginning of May so we only had 5 or 6 options. I liked what I'd heard about HAL on these boards and word of mouth. We were tossing up between that one and Celebrity Mercury which was USD$1000 more so HAL it was.

Alaskita, I think you made a good choice. While the Celebrity Mercury does not have pods, so that problem is not an issue. The Mercury does suffer from a lack of the good maintenance, that she deserves.

We went to Alaska on the Dawn Princess several years ago--chose the Princess because our travel agent was making group arrangements. I have absolutely no complaints.

A year ago we went to the Caribbean on Carnival Liberty (again a group rate through travel agent), and again I have no complaints.

We have booked an Alsakan Cruise fro May 30th on the Carnival Spirit--several reasons, but the biggest is itinerary. We want to go to Sitka. The price (military discount) was right, but I didn't check any other prices.

I haven't been on the Carnival Spirit yet, but here are two comparisons (my opinion, of course)between Dawn Princess and Carnival Liberty(both balcony staterooms)

Food was better on Dawn Princess but not bad on Carnival Liberty.

Stateroom was all right on Dawn Princess but bigger on Carnival Liberty.

Gale

I am sailing on the HAL Noordam on May 13, 2007 to Alaska.

My main reason for choosing this ship was because of the itinerary; it sails to Glacier Bay and Sitka, both of which I definitely wanted to see on my first cruise to Alaska.

Because of my limited vacation time, I could only look at a sailing for that specific week in May. I looked into a one way cruise, but I didn't feel I could justify the cost of the airfare or could handle a seven hour flight home without recuperation time to go back to work the following Monday. I would rather pay the expense of the airfare when I can do a cruisetour.

While I have never sailed with HAL (only Princess), I had heard that both HAL and Princess are good choices for Alaska. I have heard that HAL may have less activities than Princess, but with so much to see and do every day in Alaska, I think my focus will be on sightseeing rather than the normal cruise activities. That said, I still plan to enjoy the ship and its amenities as much as possible.

I really appreciate all the information the Alaskan cruisers on this board are willing to share with each other. It has helped me immensely.

Hope everyone has a wonderful cruise to Alaska. :)

Cruise Alaska twice and both with Celebrity--Galaxy and Mercury. Loved them both! Felt being pampered, and very elegant. The atmosphere was relaxed and intimate. The price was right also. I would love to go again on HAL, heard that they are similar to Celebrity.

We're going to book HAL for Alaska because it takes in Glacier Bay and it is a roundtrip. We want to see Vancouver which is where the ship sails from but we also want to see the Rockies so our decision was made as we could fly to Calgary, drive through the Rockies, see Vancouver and then board the ship for our cruise. This brings us back to Vancouver rather than the likes of Seward. Vancouver is easier to get us direct flights back to the UK.

As everyone has said, go with itinery first.

Um, this thread started in 2005 ........what the heck:confused: :eek: :confused:

I think it's great that someone resurrected this thread --- I like hearing as to why people chose what they did!

For us, two (2) requirements:

First, we wanted a round-trip out of Vancouver. Haven't been there before, and we’re staying 3-days pre-cruise right in downtown.

Second, wanted to leave the fancy clothes at home this trip.

So.........we opted for freestyle cruising on the NCL Sun.

• 7 years later...
Clicking on eDocs

will take you to "cruise summary"

hyperlink to print luggage tags right below

I just got my email to fill out my eDocs today. I thought this was really early (still have over 50 days to go!!). Was very exciting too :)

Can't see this tag will hold up all the way to Miami if I put it on at home.

Should we just let the baggage person on the ship do it for us?

So.... who did you choose and why?

I've cruised Alaska 2 years in a row now...last year on Celebrity Millennium and this year on HAL Zuiderdam.

I booked the Millennium for the itinerary. The southbound cruise from Seward to Vancouver was excellent and it allowed me to do my own Alaskan land tour prior to the cruise.

The Zuiderdam was r/t Vancouver and included Glacier Bay. GB was every bit as amazing as people advertise, but that was just 1 day. Overall, I enjoyed the southbound Millennium cruise more. Having that time in Alaska was so much better than cruising r/t out of Vancouver.

I just got my email to fill out my eDocs today. I thought this was really early (still have over 50 days to go!!). Was very exciting too :)

Can't see this tag will hold up all the way to Miami if I put it on at home.

Should we just let the baggage person on the ship do it for us?

Are you aware that you are responding to a post that started in 2005, was on hiatus until 2007 and was just restarted by you 7 years later. Why?

DON

Are you aware that you are responding to a post that started in 2005, was on hiatus until 2007 and was just restarted by you 7 years later. Why?

DON

I really don't know :o

and why is it in the middle of the Alaska thread?

editing post to say this comment is also located here where it belongs: (now that's really interesting)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44112697#post44112697

Edited by sunflower47

Had previously done a big boat (Norwegian CL) cruise and knew we had to come back on a small boat. We did that last year, on the Pacific Catalyst (12 passengers) and had a spectacular time. You are immersed in the grandeur of Alaska around the clock - spotting grizzlies on the shore at dawn, watching Dall porpoises play in the bow wake, kayaking through the waters, searching the tidal pools, anchored in quiet bays at night. Nothing beats it.

We are looking at a Yukon and Denali cruise. Only on the ship though 4-5 days. It goes to Glacier Bay. I have been to Anchorage, Seward, Prince William Sound and Kenai before 3-4 times so okay with me to miss that. I would like to see more interior. Any thoughts about this cruise? Anyone do this one?