VERY disappointed with RCI

We cruised this past New Years on the Oasis. There were 10 of us, 5 of which were children ranging in age from 3 to 14. We'd been on the Allure 2 years before and have concluded it simply is the very best ship for us. Wonderful in more ways that I can even begin to describe. We are all seasoned Cruisers if that makes a difference

While in port at St Martin we had an absolutely horrific thing occur. The ship had docked, we were just waking up.. It was around 8am when we heard the shattering of glass break. A little at first, followed by an enormous "break". We had 4 balconies in a row and we all ran to see what the noise was all about. Imagine our shock when we looked up to the deck above us (we were deck 11)and saw an entire balcony panel was gone and in a million pieces scattered on our balconies and on the lifeboats a few decks down!!! AN ENTIRE BALCONY PANEL SPONTANEOUSLY BROKE FOR NO APPARENT REASON. Of course it was only minutes before cruise staff came to investigate and "interview" us on what we had seen. Needless to say all we wanted was an answer as to how this occurred. Of course no one knew, and staff simply brushed it off with "maybe it was the way the ship docked.." Or whatever reasoning they came up with.

My brother in law and I are what you would call "worriers". We are overly concerned with the safety of our children and definitely imagine worse case scenarios. What if it had been our balcony? What if our 3 and 4 year old were leaning up against it at the time it shattered? How about if my boys ages 9 and 14 were rough housing on the balcony at the time of impact? Horrifically frightening and I'd be lying if I said we have nightmares the rest of the Cruise. Less traumatizing, but equally as concerning is that the glass on our deck was never really totally cleaned up. Yes the vacuums were used a few times but many shards of glass remained. Our kids never stepped foot on the balconies again.

Post Cruise we completed the online survey form and in GREAT DETAIL we described the incident. It has now been almost a month and ZERO reply. Very disheartening. We are incredibly disappointed with how this has been handled. We aren't seeking compensation, we want an explanation as to how on earth this happened. I believe we deserve one.

Now if anyone from RCI reads this PLEASE CONTACT ME directly

Scary. Sad. Unacceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh how dare some glass break on a ship without giving YOU an explanation! Oh the horror! :rolleyes:

You are one tough crowd! I now remember why I read more than I post lol. You need some thick skin and big girl pants to survive some of these comments!

Good thing I do :-) Once again, thank you to the posters who offered up some sound advice and took the time to understand my concern whether you happen to agree with it or not.

Cheers folks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good thing I do :-) Once again, thank you to the posters who offered up some sound advice and took the time to understand my concern whether you happen to agree with it or not.

Still curious.... as to whether you have photos of the glass shards that you can forward when you email the executive service department (or whatever it's called.) That would seem to be the best way to demonstrate the severity of the safety hazard.