VERY disappointed with RCI

This happened to you a month ago and you are still losing sleep over it? :rolleyes: It wasn't even your balcony! Maybe the people whose cabin it was caused it to break or maybe they got an explanation, but why should you?

The glass top on our outside table shattered on our deck once for no reason at all. We cleaned it up and went out and bought a new one... We didn't call the manufacturer asking why this would happen.

Next time dont get a balcony cabin and then you won't have to worry about it again.

First I want to apologize to you and Ryano. I shouldn't have mini quoted you, as there were others. I tend to play the devils advocate at times.

I don't want to make a big deal of this, and my post wasn't meant as such.

To answer your question, yes I believe that any safety issue that involves a cruise ship is ripe for news coverage. In this age of blogging, tweeting, and other it doesn't take a whole lot.

This was a balcony after all, and not the window to the gift shop. Don't tell me that if this was your personal balcony and the one piece of material between you and the sea or pavement breaks, that you wouldn't be a little concerned?If any company is aware of a issue, and then the issue occurs again, especially if it concerns safety, then there is a potential for negative news coverage.

If something actually bad happens, then fire up the press and back up the money truck. My mind is going to a story this past summer of the lady who was riding in a roller coaster and the seat belt broke, and you probably remember the rest of the story.

If somebody comes forward with a acknowledgment by RCI that there is a issue with something, then that issue leads happens again and leads to a injury. That's not a good thing. Obviously.

Bad things happen, and yes glass breaks. I hope it doesn't break on my next RCI cruise. :)

It was NOT the OP's balcony. The broken balcony glass was on the deck above hers.

This is the reason that most people here are not seeing why SHE is so upset.

First I want to apologize to you and Ryano. I shouldn't have mini quoted you, as there were others. I tend to play the devils advocate at times.

I don't want to make a big deal of this, and my post wasn't meant as such.

To answer your question, yes I believe that any safety issue that involves a cruise ship is ripe for news coverage. In this age of blogging, tweeting, and other it doesn't take a whole lot.

This was a balcony after all, and not the window to the gift shop. Don't tell me that if this was your personal balcony and the one piece of material between you and the sea or pavement breaks, that you wouldn't be a little concerned?

If any company is aware of a issue, and then the issue occurs again, especially if it concerns safety, then there is a potential for negative news coverage.

If something actually bad happens, then fire up the press and back up the money truck. My mind is going to a story this past summer of the lady who was riding in a roller coaster and the seat belt broke, and you probably remember the rest of the story.

If somebody comes forward with a acknowledgment by RCI that there is a issue with something, then that issue leads happens again and leads to a injury. That's not a good thing. Obviously.

Bad things happen, and yes glass breaks. I hope it doesn't break on my next RCI cruise. :)

No need for an apology to me! :) But its nice of you to offer up one!

No hard feelings here! hope the feeling is mutual!

I know what happened! Some JERK was letting his 3 and 4 year old lean against the glass, while his 9 and 14 year olds were rough housing on the balcony!!!

I hope I never cruise with a person such as yourself. You must br a bundle of joy.

It was NOT the OP's balcony. The broken balcony glass was on the deck above hers.

This is the reason that most people here are not seeing why SHE is so upset.

I think that if she writes a letter to the proper person or persons at RCI, she'll get a nice, sweet response. It will say they're oh so sorry that she and her family were traumatized by this, that the cause is unknown but that the appropriate department is thoroughly investigating the incident. It will assure her that incidents like these are extremely rare and then say that they hope to see her and her family again soon on RCI.

Now, for me, that kind of letter isn't worth the effort it took to get it from them. But it sounds like somehow she'll be happier with a letter like that. On the other hand, if she's really expecting any more than that, than that's simply absurd.

To everyone else.. what a wide array of responses, thoughts, ideas, theories and suggestions! Thank you.. we are contacting executive customer service. I will most certainly post an update.

Again... did you happen to take pictures of the glass shards to forward to executive customer service?

I live in Toronto and every summer there are multiple cases of falling glass from skyscrapers. Does that stop me from walking on the sidewalks during the summer? No. Stuff happens.

Life is dangerous. As a lawyer, you of all people should know what you agree to as soon as you board the ship. Sailing on a ship in the middle of the ocean isn't exactly safe.

Get over it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm almost at a loss for words. I would have been thankful that no one was on the balcony when it happened. I would have then made sure Royal cleaned it all up and would have been at the front desk until it was done....every shard. If I had more concern I would have dealt with it while on the ship, because once you are off the ship, you are not going to get any where, other than a canned response. If this still is an issue for you, maybe book an inside or ocean view cabin next time. I really do not understand what you are hoping for if you are not looking for compensation???? I'm sure they have no idea what caused it to break and if they do, they are never going to pass that info along to you. You will get the legal bs line every time. Thank you for your concern, yada yada yada. So maybe cruising is not for you and your family????

OMG, sound so traumatic. You maybe shouldn't leave the house if you lose sleep over something like this. Stuff happens, stuff you cant control, sometime you win, sometimes you don't. You never know when something will happen. It could be not as bad as balcony glass breaking, it could also be more severe.

I think that if she writes a letter to the proper person or persons at RCI, she'll get a nice, sweet response. It will say they're oh so sorry that she and her family were traumatized by this, that the cause is unknown but that the appropriate department is thoroughly investigating the incident. It will assure her that incidents like these are extremely rare and then say that they hope to see her and her family again soon on RCI.

Now, for me, that kind of letter isn't worth the effort it took to get it from them. But it sounds like somehow she'll be happier with a letter like that. On the other hand, if she's really expecting any more than that, than that's simply absurd.

Interesting....as these were the exact words / speech I was given when I sent a letter regarding my cruise and the babies in diapers in the pools and hot tubs and security would NOT step in to help with the health hazard.

FYI...I only asked that they re-train their security team for the safety of future guests. Did NOT ask for anything else.

However, reading what you just posted, and it being almost word for word, I'm now re-thinkng what to do with my pictures and videos of the whole incident that went on for the entire week of my cruise...not to mention the diaper changing on the pool lounge chairs for three days in a row.

Silly me...and I thought they took these concerns seriously.

Edited by 20pluscruises

We cruised this past New Years on the Oasis. There were 10 of us, 5 of which were children ranging in age from 3 to 14. We'd been on the Allure 2 years before and have concluded it simply is the very best ship for us. Wonderful in more ways that I can even begin to describe. We are all seasoned Cruisers if that makes a difference

While in port at St Martin we had an absolutely horrific thing occur. The ship had docked, we were just waking up.. It was around 8am when we heard the shattering of glass break. A little at first, followed by an enormous "break". We had 4 balconies in a row and we all ran to see what the noise was all about. Imagine our shock when we looked up to the deck above us (we were deck 11)and saw an entire balcony panel was gone and in a million pieces scattered on our balconies and on the lifeboats a few decks down!!! AN ENTIRE BALCONY PANEL SPONTANEOUSLY BROKE FOR NO APPARENT REASON. Of course it was only minutes before cruise staff came to investigate and "interview" us on what we had seen. Needless to say all we wanted was an answer as to how this occurred. Of course no one knew, and staff simply brushed it off with "maybe it was the way the ship docked.." Or whatever reasoning they came up with.

My brother in law and I are what you would call "worriers". We are overly concerned with the safety of our children and definitely imagine worse case scenarios. What if it had been our balcony? What if our 3 and 4 year old were leaning up against it at the time it shattered? How about if my boys ages 9 and 14 were rough housing on the balcony at the time of impact? Horrifically frightening and I'd be lying if I said we have nightmares the rest of the Cruise. Less traumatizing, but equally as concerning is that the glass on our deck was never really totally cleaned up. Yes the vacuums were used a few times but many shards of glass remained. Our kids never stepped foot on the balconies again.

Post Cruise we completed the online survey form and in GREAT DETAIL we described the incident. It has now been almost a month and ZERO reply. Very disheartening. We are incredibly disappointed with how this has been handled. We aren't seeking compensation, we want an explanation as to how on earth this happened. I believe we deserve one.

Now if anyone from RCI reads this PLEASE CONTACT ME directly

Scary. Sad. Unacceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A balcony is not a play ground for your kids to rough house it, you ought to take a course in Parenting 101

Interesting....as these were the exact words / speech I was given when I sent a letter regarding my cruise and the babies in diapers in the pools and hot tubs and security would NOT step in to help with the health hazard.

FYI...I only asked that they re-train their security team for the safety of future guests. Did NOT ask for anything else.

However, reading what you just posted, and it being almost word for word, I'm now re-thinkng what to do with my pictures and videos of the whole incident that went on for the entire week of my cruise...not to mention the diaper changing on the pool lounge chairs for three days in a row.

Silly me...and I thought they took these concerns seriously.

With all due respect, that's completely different! You're talking about a written RCI policy that wasn't being enforced. It should be enforced, I completely agree. If I asked for it to be enforced and the staff was unwilling for whatever reason, I'd consider writing a letter and expect (at least hope for) a different response.

This incident wasn't about a policy that wasn't being enforced, it was a random incident of a glass panel breaking. There's certainly nothing to ask them to do differently, except maybe sweep more thoroughly. Therefore just what would you expect them to put in a letter or reply for this incident?

A balcony is not a play ground for your kids to rough house it, you ought to take a course in Parenting 101

What if our 3 and 4 year old were leaning up against it at the time it shattered? How about if my boys ages 9 and 14 were rough housing on the balcony at the time of impact?

Maybe you ought to take a course in reading 101. She never said this happened, it was all hypothetical situations. :rolleyes:

I don't know what happens with the filled exit surveys as I never get any feedback or confirmation. They make such a big deal in reminding to complete the surveys, but ????????

They no longer do hard copy surveys but rather you will receive an email, typically the day you return home, to complete the survey online.

The glass breaking is unacceptable but its ok for kids to rough house on a balcony with glass? :confused:

AN ENTIRE BALCONY PANEL SPONTANEOUSLY BROKE FOR NO APPARENT REASON. How about if my boys ages 9 and 14 were rough housing on the balcony at the time of impact?

Scary. Sad. Unacceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums