Weather on 15-day Hawaiian cruise on Grand RT from SF

ptowngirl64

Trying to figure out what to pack for my cruise sailing on February 18th. Are the only warm days while in port in Hawaii or is it warm for a day or two before/after Hawaii? Any help appreciated.

First two to three days out of SF will be cool.

Then you hit warmer weather while in Hawaii.

On the return, the last two to three days can be cooler.

Weather for Hawaii in February:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/honolulu-hi/96814/february-weather/348211

HAVE FUN!

It will be chilly in the beginning and end as others have said. I've only sailed this from LA and it was a lot cooler than I expected. I love this cruise and just booked another one, but you should take some cool weather clothes. Just looking at the temps doesn't seem like it would be cool, but you have to add in the winds which can be brisk.

I have cruised to Hawaii in February and November of this year. (February) It poured (not rained) in Hilo and sprinkled on Oahu. Maui and Kauai were pleasant. (November) we had beautiful weather on all 4 days. I was here to take some friends around the island last January. We were caught in horizontal cold rain for most of the day.

I have been on Oahu for the past two weeks. We have had VOG (volcano pollution), southerly winds that bring humid conditions, flash flood warnings (yesterday), and a few sunshiny days. The first few days I was here was down right cold (65 degrees at 5pm).

Whatever you bring for the first few days out of San Francisco should suffice. Bring an umbrella for sure. It is "winter" here. It is very hard to tell what the weather will be like. A week before I arrived, they had rain and 65 mph winds up on the ridges. Today is very calm. The trade winds are suppose to arrive by the weekend.

Displaced local girl

Edited by cr8tiv1

Trying to figure out what to pack for my cruise sailing on February 18th. Are the only warm days while in port in Hawaii or is it warm for a day or two before/after Hawaii? Any help appreciated.

I think you're getting a lot of good advice here. I will be on this same cruise just a bit later than you (4/13/14), when the weather should be warmer, and i am still planning to take a fleece jacket for the breezy days, and a rain poncho for Hilo. I hope you have a great trip, and I also hope you will post upon your return with a trip review, weather report, and embarkation tips for SFO. I certainly would be very interested!

BTW -- I am also from Pacifica, and was born in '64. I think we must have a lot in common!:p

We did it from LA last year. None of the sea days were really warm, and it was cloudy and rainy at times. Of course this varies, and I think it often does warm up once more than two days out of California--it just didn't for us.

It was also cooler and rainier in Hawaii than the other three times I have been there on land trips. We cruised there last February; Hilo was rainy and around 60. Volcano Park was rainy and around 50!!!

Oahu was low 70's with some light showers. Kaui was 75 and partly sunny except up in the mountains, where of course it was cooler, and rainy.

Maui was about 75 and partly cloudy. It was the only island we didn't have any rain.

So, bring layers and hope you hit a good weather pattern.