Steel is cut!

InTheWASide

Signature class is 41.0

Space ratio has been explained earlier in this thread.

Thank you but I am totally conversant with space ratios. I might not be a hotel manager or a crew member on HAL but I have certainly cruised enough to know what it is.

If the space ratio is truly 41 on those ships - you had best get the various websites to amend their facts.

I don't see how it can be with the room the cabanas take up on the Lido.

We can agree to disagree - I have been on a number of the HAl ships and the Signature ship I was on (N Amsterdam) felt more congested to me than the other ships I have been on - especially the Prinsendam.

Of course, that's just my experience - each to their own :D

But my facts come from numerous websites. I don't claim to be an expert - but that's what many of us use and rely on;)

I've sailed on one of Oceania's newer ships and I've sailed on a HAL Signature Class ship. The Oceania ship wins - NO contest - as far as spaciousness. There was never a congested area on Oceania. That can NOT be said about our time on the Signature Class ship. The Oceania ship was also far more luxurious in the quality of materials. Oceania's cabins are more spacious. The main dining room on our Signature ship was pitiful by comparison to Oceania' grand dining room in regards to spaciousness. Heck, even the equalivent of the Crow's Nest on Oceania was more spacious. I can not think of a single area on a Signature ship that I can say 'beats' the newer Oceania ships as to spaciousness, not even the laundry rooms. Oops - the Signature ships don't have those. On the Oceania ships the laundry rooms are quite comfortable - air conditioned, refigerator with complimentary beverages, a sofa, TV...

Mary Ellen,

Please see post #75.

You do realize looking at the exterior of a ship in no way can dictate space and feel, I hope.

I love the Signature ships, but in no way are they more spacious than various other ships and they most definitely are not a higher class than mass market. They are smack dab mass market.

Edited by sppunk

That's correct.

And this is what concerns me about the new HAL ship.

Oceania feels as it is.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37701080&postcount=174

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37729016&postcount=213

Cruisetrail, can you explain this thought in different words? Without links? I've been trying and trying, and truly can't understand what you are saying. Not trying to be obtuse here, just need more explanation, probably. Thanks.

Thank you CowPrincess,

One picture is worth 1000 words.

Photos are ship facts.

Look at closed in floating apartment building with no promenade deck, no observation deck, no aft pool (the only pool for 1300 pax!), no proper spa, no sports court and compare with a ship with first class amenities and literally tons of open space.

Ships have more say than "opinions" or confusions. People sometimes don't recognize an elephant in a zoo.

"What is your source of information?"

My answer: cruise ships!

Some don't get it that ships can be primary source of information.

They believe that "information" must be written on websites or in guidebooks (that are hardly worth paper they are printed on).:)

Ships are books that I read.

I recommend everyone do the same.:)

For all the West Coast passenger the Signature Class ship will probably not be arriving until the Panama Canal expansion is completed. This ship Post Panamax, meaning she won't be able to transit the present locks at the Panama Canal. Once the new locks open, which I heard is delayed, then they will be able to send this ship to the west coast. I don't think they will take her around the Horn each year to transfer her from the East Coast to the West Coast. Hopefully they can get the locks back on schedule and this won't be a problem.

Pictures of empty ships are absolutely meaningless when attempting to prove spaciousness. I've sailed a Signature ship. I've sailed a new Oceania ship. I have an informed opinion. I am not confused. :rolleyes: Did I miss the wrap around Promenade Deck on Oceania? Yes. Is that enough to make a Signature ship "spacious"? NO. We had plenty of unobstructed sea views from our Oceania balcony. Due to HAL's smoking policy, that is a cabin we won't book on any ship in the HAL fleet.

BTW, there is a Thalassotherpy pool on the new Oceania ships.

Pictures of empty ships are absolutely meaningless when attempting to prove spaciousness. I've sailed a Signature ship. I've sailed a new Oceania ship. I have an informed opinion. I am not confused. :rolleyes: Did I miss the wrap around Promenade Deck on Oceania? Yes. Is that enough to make a Signature ship "spacious"? NO. We had plenty of unobstructed sea views from our Oceania balcony. Due to HAL's smoking policy, that is a cabin we won't book on any ship in the HAL fleet.

BTW, there is a Thalassotherpy pool on the new Oceania ships.

I expect serious conversation.

I posted photos not only of promenade deck but also aft pool, observation deck and sports court. I would add a beautiful private upper sun deck - there is nothing to compare on Oceania.

All these facilities - no matter empty or busy - do not exist on Oceania Marina at all.

What about a single pool for 1300 pax? Do you know any ship at see with a pool with this number per square inch (except sardine cans of course)?

In addition to your mis"informed" opinion: the Marina has two small jacuzzis, not a thalassotherapy pool.

The Riviera has one that is not more than a parody on what the Signature class have.:)

I expect serious conversation.

And yet, your reply was a link to pictures, not conversation. :rolleyes:

What about a single pool for 1300 pax? Do you know any ship at see with a pool with this number per square inch (except sardine cans of course)?

Ah, the Veendam. :confused: